3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Razorhead history, effectiveness  (Read 934 times)

Offline elbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Razorhead history, effectiveness
« on: March 15, 2009, 08:25:00 PM »
I was wondering if anyone had any historical or technical info on the Bear Razorhead broadhead. I have about 10 and plan to use them on Whitetails, any info or opinions about them would be welcome.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Razorhead history, effectiveness
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 10:36:00 PM »
One of the best darned broadheads ever to populate the planet.   I've used them for nearly forty-five years.  Fred Bear liked them too.  I would venture to guess that they have taken more game than any other.

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 10:59:00 PM »
Fred designed them, and began production in 1957. The design changed a few times but they remained pretty much the same.
You should buy and read the book I Remember Papa Bear, it's a great read and there is a lot of Fred Bear history in there. I agree with George, they have killed a lot of animals, everything from squirrels to elephants.

Zack
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 11:15:00 PM »
They are real easy to sharpen,they fly nice on cedars.

Offline Frisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 02:09:00 AM »
Somewhere, I have info. on the Rockwell hardness of the old Razorheads. It was around RC42-45. I think it was closer to RC45.

Joe

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 02:38:00 AM »
I have been taking deer w/them for 30yrs. I sharpen the inserts--easy/quick way is touch em up w/ a beltsander--use needlenose pliers to hold on to them.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 06:20:00 AM »
A Bear razorhead, is to broadheads, what a .30-30
is to deer rifles.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 03:53:00 PM »
This passed hunting season: October 11th, Nine point Oklahoma buck, and Dec. 26th, 150 pound feral hog. Two shots, two dead animals. Same broadhead. She is sharpened up and ready to go again. Oh yea!! The broadhead was an old green Bear Razorhead without bleeder blades. Enough said.  :thumbsup:

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 07:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bonebuster:
A Bear razorhead, is to broadheads, what a .30-30
is to deer rifles.
x2   :thumbsup:

I've got about 2 doz in reseve,and I'm planning to stuff a few with some 100gr steel inserts for this year.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline barefoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 08:09:00 PM »
I have been useing Razor Heads for almost 40 years with no complaints. I was even shot accidently thru the hand by my best friend with one. Very impressive, left a good blood trail all the way to the doctors office!!!!

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 09:21:00 PM »
barefoot- I'd like to hear that story!
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Offline barefoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 09:33:00 PM »
Here you go Blake;
I was in college back around 1975 and had two room mates that we all shared an apartment. I had my bow (Bear Grizzly) hanging on the wall in my room. My buddy who has never shot a bow took it off the wall, pulled an arrow with a razor head on it out of the quiver and was drawing it back when the string slipped out of his fingers. The arrow struck in my left hand.I made him yank it out and the blood flew. Lots of blood and thirty stitches later we went out got throughly drunk. I still have a scar about 4" long on my hand.Fortuntely there was no bleeder blade in the head he shot me with.

New rule in the house: NON ARCHERS CANNOT HOLD THE BOW

Offline elbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 11:19:00 PM »
Do most of you guys advise using the bleeders or does it matter?

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 12:37:00 AM »
BLEEDERS?
  DEFINITLY use them and DEFINITLY sharpen them--its a piece of cake.

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 01:03:00 AM »
Fred Bear designed them for the auxiliary blade. He had a vision of increased penetration due to decreased shaft pinch and increased blood loss due to greater cutting and a more open wound. Fred was a savvy fellow but his heads work quite well without the auxiliary blades-that is the way I've seen them used the most.  The Razorhead was a great design for mass production, good flight and easy sharpening. It did a lot for bowhunting......but it isn't the toughest head. Tough enough most of the time but not  as tough as the Zwickey Eskimo that preceded it in Fred's experiments. If all I had to shoot were Razorheads I wouldn't shed any tears.....but neither would I feel disadvantaged if all broadhead development had stopped with the Zwickey Eskimo.

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »
I use razorheads and zwickey's. Razorheads are easier to sharpen, and get scary sharp. I do not use the bleeders, as I prefer a 2 blade head.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 09:48:00 AM »
I have never been happy with the fit of the bleeder blades. They always seem to torgue on me. I stopped using them for this reason. I could take the time to trim them, but I refuse to do that. In my book, that is the job of the manufacturer. Besides that, I've been very successful without the bleeder blade.   :archer:

Offline Douglas DuRant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 10:14:00 AM »
Yeap, it's a good head, and I have killed a lot of game with it. Like Treeman said it ain't as tough as a Zwickey Eskimo which it is patterned after. Fred, did do some work with a bigger wider head, but decided the narrower razorhead was a better design. I have used them with and without the break away bleeders. I like the penetration better without the bleeder blade. They fly very well, and the vents are part of the reason for this. Lots of animals have found them to be a deadly head.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 10:20:00 AM »
The inserts were supposed to bend and give...even break if necessary after making  the x-cut, rather than stay rigid and impede penetration in bone or gristle.  That said, I've used them mostly as two blade heads with good results.  They are tough enough to kill elephants and rhino...see Bill Negley's book.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2009, 11:38:00 AM »
......gotta watch out for the bleeders sometimes when field dressing...painfull surprise.....
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©