3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: stump shooting  (Read 409 times)

Offline Groundpounder

• Trad Bowhunter
stump shooting
« on: March 15, 2009, 09:25:00 PM »
Ive never been stump shooting but ive been to a few 3-D shoots (w/ compund bow) and carbon arrows into those targets can be a bear to pull out was wondering how is it pulling arrows from stumps?

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: stump shooting
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 09:40:00 PM »
Use blunts, ACE hex heads or judo points and shoot into rotten stumps or you'll never get your arrows out.  Have fun.

Offline BOWCHIEF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 09:45:00 PM »
I have some blunts on the way and can't wait to tare me up some stumpage. :)
Whisperstik Mojostik 60

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 09:54:00 PM »
What Orion said, NO field points.

Speakin of stumps, I killed a few today. What a beatifull day for stumpin!

Eric

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 10:01:00 PM »
You have to be sure and sneak up on them old stumps as they didn't get that old from being stupid. They are very wary and cunning. Don't be fooled into thinkin' that they don't move, either! Sometimes they can move so fast that they dodge an arrow with ease, much the same way a whitetail "jumps the string" at the sound of a bowstring twang. But, the best thing is, is that you don't have to worry 'bout the wind, 'cause they don't gotta nose, silly!

:rolleyes:    :saywhat:    :wavey:

Doug
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline sputterman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 10:07:00 PM »
Hahaha I've had a couple move on me to.

Now thats funny  :biglaugh:
MEAT ON THE TABLE HORNS ON THE WALL!!!

Offline Bowtie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »
I use Judo Points for stump shooting, although my "stump" shooting consists of everything but stumps.  Small clump of grass, leaf, beer can, and what's really fun is a tennis ball. Shooting with friends makes for a lot of laughs.
The work praises the man.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »
Don't gotta only shoot at stumps. Pick out a leaf on a (soft) hill side or try to shoot between stuff to get at a woodpecker hole in a dead birch tree. Get the picture? Stump Shooting or Roving as it's called can be the most fun you'll have with your clothes on.  :rolleyes:

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 10:44:00 PM »
Old mcgroundstalker has it right.  You shoot at whatever gives you a good target.  Rotten stumps, old cans (bring them out with you), rotten twigs, etc.   Keep some Judos or Hammers/Hexheads, etc., for pasture field shooting, lest you spend half your time hunting arrows rather than stumps.

Offline brmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 11:02:00 PM »
Empty 38 special brass fits nicely over 11/32 field points.  I like to melt the lead from a 22 long rifle bullet in the bottom.  Make a couple up ahead of time in case you pick the stumps that aren't as rotten

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 11:08:00 PM »
This past Friday my buddy and I shot probably 75 arrows each in 2 1/2 hours of roving and stumpshooting. It's the only way I practice.

Everything is fair game...stumps, leaves,clumps of dirt, birds, limbs with leaves on them, chipmunks, plastic bottles(that idiots leave in the woods) etc...

Shooting at unknown distances will help you learn to accurately judge distances. Plus, you will find out what your bow/arrow setup is capable of by shooting out to 35-40 yds. Never boring....
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 12:12:00 AM »
Guess I'm lucky here in the Pacific NW... I use regular field points and haven't had a problem.   However, I shoot only at old stumps, of which we have loads in old logged and replanted forests.  Given our climate, they're real soft.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 12:15:00 AM »
I've noticed they tend to move MORE if your friend already has an arrow in them dead center, contrary to other game.
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 12:25:00 AM »
Blunts are fine, but Judo's are even better-- They cost a little more, but you'll save big time on arrows you didn't loose in the grass, weeds etc.-Ive been shooting the same judo arrow for years--1000's of shots-no arrow loss!  They also abosrb a great deal of the shock that otherwise is imparted to the end of an arrow hitting a stump.  They're not all that effective on small game (i.e. squrriels, rabbits) though I did kill six black birds w/ one shot w/ a judo--- but thats another story.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 06:20:00 AM »
roving absolutely DEMANDS judo points for me!  never go afield without at least a few, even when hunting!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline 44charlie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 08:26:00 AM »
i love carbons for stumping, they can take a beatting if you happen to hit a solid stump.

also carry a pair of longnose pliers. can hold shut and use as pick and pulling out.
also carry some flagging t o mark lost arrows in the winter. go back in spring and recover most.

that reminds me, how far have any of you had a n arrow with BH ricosha(spelling?). miss a deer this fall and i thought the arrow went low but have racked the spot bare and can't find it. follow line of shot also but can't find.

by the way i killed some fine stumps this weekend mtself. haven't found a good recipe yet though!!!

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 09:39:00 AM »
Love the stumpin.  Went with my buddy Tom and his brother this weekend.  I use rubber blunts, hex heads, those new nasty hammers that they sell at 3-rivers, regular blunts, judo tips and G5 sgh's.  They all work pretty good, with the notable exception of the regular blunts.  Even with the slight chamfer, they bury in the dirt and under grass very easily.  Judo tips may be the best, but don't fit will in my hip quiver and only come in a couple of weights. Lot's of weights available with the hex and hammer.  Any of them can get lodged in stumps, but the broad profile heads are usually pretty easy to remove.

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2009, 01:39:00 PM »
G5 Small Game Head is my preferred stump'n head.
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©