3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletching tape  (Read 381 times)

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Fletching tape
« on: March 15, 2009, 10:08:00 PM »
Do any of you use the fletching tape to adhere your fletching? If so, how well does it work vs. fletching cement?  Thanks,
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

"When a Man comes to the mountains, He comes home." John Muir

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletching tape
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 10:18:00 PM »
Fletch tape,is all i use anymore.I lost an arrow at a shoot.My pards found it the NEXT year.Still had fletches on it n it spent most that winter,under 2 to 3 ft of snow.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
I tried it a few times some years ago.  It worked OK, but I've lost feathers with it, too.  I carry it in my repair kit, but I fletch with glue.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 10:32:00 PM »
I think fletching tape is a great idea; but I prefer the glue. Try both and see what works best for you.

Offline DV of WI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 10:34:00 PM »
That stuff is the best think sense pockets on a shirt or sliced bread. Once yo have the arrows ready to go you can zip out a doz. pretty fast.
i have used the stuff since gong to AK in 03. I have not had an issue with feathers coming off.

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 10:38:00 PM »
its the best, no more glue here.

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 10:54:00 PM »
It works great.
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Offline martin guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 11:00:00 PM »
I have had great luck with the Bohning tape, no so good with the Bear Paw tape.

Offline Benoli

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 11:12:00 PM »
I realy like the fletching tape. It's all I use anymore. I still place a dab of glue on both ends of the feather after it's been taped on the shaft.
One stick, one string and an arrow I'll fling!

Offline Flt Rck Shtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »
I've never used glue again after using the tape. I have fletched hundreds of arrows with it, and had no problems.
Chinese Proverb: Never remove a fly from a friends forehead with a hatchet...

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 11:40:00 PM »
I refletched a bunch of 4h arrows. These arrows get punnished. Burried into hay bails etc. Not one fletch has had a problem.

Never had a problem with it on any of my arrows either.

I'm sold on The Fletch tape. I still put a bit of glue on the ends of the quill when I get it off the jig. Thats all the glue I use though. Much faster too.
Jason Lester

Offline Leo L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 11:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Benoli:
I realy like the fletching tape. It's all I use anymore. I still place a dab of glue on both ends of the feather after it's been taped on the shaft.
Same here.  I just started using it about 3 weeks ago and I LOVE it.  I was skeptical for the longest time.  Don't knock it til' you try it.  I was losing feathers with glue, but so far I haven't lost any with the tape.  You've still got to prep the shaft for best adhesion, but that comes without saying.

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 01:06:00 AM »
Used it about 6 mos. I think it holds the feathers on better. Just my opinion. I think if you fletch your own the feathers stay on better in general anyway. Here's what I find:It's easier to use the glue since the tape takes a knack to roll off, etc esp if your fingers are kind of big and messed up like mine. But you don't have to wait for the glue to dry, so it goes fast. For me, if I'm doing one or a quick repair I use glue. If I'm going to make 6 or 12, I'll use tape, and maybe recruit a son or the Mrs to help peel the tape.
sam

Offline Cinghiale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 02:10:00 AM »
I never used fletching tape, is it easy to use and does it work with helical fletching too ?

:campfire:

In memory of my old hunting partner Silberio : VIVA MARIA !

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 06:17:00 AM »
fletch tape is the ONLY way to fletch carbons and alums for me - fletchtite or duco for woodies.

david, one of the guides at the texas solana ranch that i hunted at last year, found one of my tape fletched carbon arrows this year that had been long lost over last winter - it was in really great shape and the feathers were stuck on good 'n' tight.  the broadhead was badly damaged and terry green screwed in a new one and david killed a doe with it.  don't get much better'n that!  :cool:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 10:54:00 AM »
I've only used the Bohning, and only over wraps, but that arrangement works fantastic.  :thumbsup:
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline DEAN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »
FLETCH TAPE HERE NO MORE GLUE FOR ME!!!!!!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Comptons Traditional Bowhunter

Offline cedar swampman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2009, 12:07:00 PM »
I have been using it since it came out and its the greatest! I find arrows each spring that have been buried under the snow and although the fletchings are in tattered condition they still are adhered to the shaft.

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »
Bar none the best way to fletch arrows. Fast, easy, and mess free.

I saw a post on here one time about a guy who owned an archery shop and fletched 12 demo arrows with fletch-tape and 12 demo arrows with glue.

The 12 with fletchtape out lasted the glue.

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2009, 12:30:00 PM »
I use the Bohning fletch tape as well. I have used it on wood, carbon and alum. and have never had a problem. Like others have said, I put a dab of glue on the front and rear of the quill, but most do this even with other glues and no tape.

One reason some (at least a buddy of mine anyway) have trouble with the tape is not getting the whole width of the quill seated on the arrow. I shoot as radical a helical fletch as i can find for my jig. A friend was using it and all his feathers fell off. I looked at them closely and he only had the edge of the feather taped down. I always run my finger nail down the quill to make sure the whole surface is seated on the arrow shaft.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©