3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletching tape  (Read 382 times)

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletching tape
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
Its the best, just clean any shaft with alcohol especially carbon and dab a drop of glue on the front and back of the feather.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »
I only use woodies however I will dab glue on front & back like just about all have suggested here.

Now, how easy are they to get off and replace once your fletching gets torn up?
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

"When a Man comes to the mountains, He comes home." John Muir

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »
Tape is great. I run a bead of glue along the side and a dab at the ends.
Some say why bother to use both.  Like most I need the arrows at the very moment I need them.  Never enough time in the day and no reason to smell those toxic fumes for such a duration.
And helps out my FOC...  :biglaugh:
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline pcappy08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2009, 04:38:00 PM »
its all i use anymore tape and a dot of glue at each end and your good to go...great stuff!
Great Northern Super Ghost
56" 60lbs @ 29"
Morrison Cheyenne
62lbs @ 29"

Offline hawgslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2009, 05:30:00 PM »
:campfire:

I've used only fletch tape for the last few years now and didn't have any feathers come off. Even after passing thru the 5 deer that I have taken in the last 2 seasons. I'm still using the doz or so arrows for practice and the feathers are not coming off. If your having trouble with keeping feathers on arrows you should....
MAKE SURE YOU CLEAN THE ARROWS.....DON'T STRETCH THE TAPE AS YOU PUT IT ON THE FEATHER BASE......USE THE FLETCH TAPE FROM 3 RIVERS.
Ater taping the feather to the arrow I put a drop of glue on each end of the feather.

:archer:
HAWGSLAYER

07 BOB LEE HUNTER 49#'S
09 MARTIN 48#'s
CVA ACCURA 50 CAL.
BL/STAINLESS
SEMPER FI

Keep your feathers dry and your nose in the wind and become the predator that we really are.

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2009, 06:02:00 PM »
Bohninng fletch tape is all I use. Like others have mentioned, I have found arrows that have wintered hidden in the woods, and found that the feathers still hold tight.

I have learned a few things with it though. I found if my final finish coat is a water based polyurethane, it doesnt hold too well. I final coat with gasket laquer.

Another thing about tape is do not lay your arrows flat like on a table or workbench as the two feathers contacting the table may slide a bit and flatten out to a 180 degree offset. If you let the tape really set for a couple weeks, then it isnt as much of a problem. But I try not to lay my arrows on the feathers on a flat surface.

this may not be a problem with other finishes, such as regular bohning laquer.

I have hunted with taped arrows for several years now, and never had a feather come off. I do put a small drop on Duco on the ends of each feather. But for the easy of fletching, and the time savings, its the only way to go for me. I can do a dozen in under an hour.

Clamp the feather in your clamp, run the tape down the quill and cut it off with a razor knife. I use the edge of the knife blade at a 90 degree to the tape to scrape the tape backing loose, then pull it off an stick the fletch to the arrow. try not to touch the sticky surface too much.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2009, 06:58:00 PM »
I've got fletch tape on woodies and aluminums.I've had only one feather break loose,more than likely from me touching the tape.

I was skeptical about it myself till I gave it a try.It's excellent stuff.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©