3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Adventures of 'Hope' and 'Faith'  (Read 40732 times)

Offline jiane

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Adventures of 'Hope' and 'Faith'
« Reply #280 on: November 30, 2006, 06:29:00 PM »
All I have to say is Wow!!  What a beautiful bow! The knife and armguard are awsome as well.

Just received Hope from the nice FedEx lady not 5 minutes after I got home from work.  We're expecting 2"-10" of snow tomorrow, but I will be stopping after work and see if I can find what kind of arrows Hope likes to eat.  I can't wait.

My wife is starting to get the whole thing,  she was sitting at the kitchen table when I opened the case and she saw all the things inside.  "All that is getting sent out to strangers to go hunting?" she said. "That's pretty cool" she even said the bow was pretty.  She usually doesn't notice such things with my hunting "stuff"

Jerry
Wisconsin Traditional Archers - Board Member
Ojibwa Bowhunters of Milwaukee
PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Bowhunters

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #281 on: November 30, 2006, 08:23:00 PM »
She spit out 2016's with 145 up front real well for me.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Bucksnort101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #282 on: December 01, 2006, 12:27:00 AM »
Well, I got home from work today and there was "Faith" sitting on the kitchen table. The rig has already drawn blood for me, unfortunately it was my own. Split the thumb open in the hurry to get the case open!!! Oh well, the bow, knife, arm armguard are beautiful. Can't wait to shoot some arrows and get her out hunting.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #283 on: December 04, 2006, 05:11:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Brad_Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #284 on: December 04, 2006, 10:55:00 AM »
What spine arrows/head weight have these bows seemed to like the best? I'm next on the list to go on walkabout with Faith, and am wanting to get a little headstart with what I'll need for the tuning process.

Thanks!
“We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.”
– Aldo Leopold

Offline jiane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #285 on: December 04, 2006, 07:44:00 PM »
Hey Brad,

If your shooting aluminum, the right handed "Hope" is liking  2114's with 125g head.
( I pull right at 28")I've been shooting her with pretty good results. Just my own form being culprit.  Vermonster13 noted above that 2016's with 145g shot well with him.  No clue on those carbon thingies!

Getting ready to go hunting this weekend.  Turns out it is a special doe only weekend, and I'll be wearing orange with the rest of the gun hunters.  My firt time hunting with a bow during a gun weekend, could be interesting.  So if one of the big fellas walks by, that's what I'll have to do....let him walk right on by.  Oh well..that's how it works I guess.

Jerry
PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Bowhunters

Offline Brad_Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #286 on: December 05, 2006, 09:52:00 AM »
Thanks, Jerry! Good luck this weekend!

Brad
“We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.”
– Aldo Leopold

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #287 on: December 06, 2006, 05:31:00 PM »
Hey didn't Pinecone shoot 35/ 55  carbons out of her with 220gn heads or something and she wacked a doe with the setup go back to page 14 or so on the thread .

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #288 on: December 06, 2006, 05:35:00 PM »
OPPS no page 9 of the thread yep shot 220 grain heads with 50 gns of extra weight.

Offline jiane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #289 on: December 08, 2006, 10:50:00 AM »
Hope's next hunting adventure will begin tomorrow morning.  I will be heading north after work today to Gilman, WI.(~4 hours northwest of Milwaukee )with my brother-in-law and another friend.  Turns out it is a Doe only weekend statewide and guns are in play, which means I'll be in orange.  Grey squirrels may also be introduced to a Hex Blunt.

I'm not sure on the snow cover up there, but I hope there is some in the woods to aid in the detection of movement.  The initial plan will probably be to sit in stand in the morning(about 20 yards from the picture of the big eight) and I may try to make a hidey hole in one of the many blowdowns on the property in the afternoon.

I've been able to shoot with Miss Hope just about  everyday this week.  Daylight has been at a premium as I shoot after work at one of the county parkways.  

I consider taking this bow to the woods with me an honor.  Terry Green initially posted with the idea for these bows something like, "Hunting with a Purpose".  There are things in life that are great only because they have been made from many smaller parts.  This is one of those.  I intend on making my small part the best that it can be, because this isn't about me or even for me.  It is for the miracles that we call our  sons, daughters, grandchildren, brothers, and sisters.

I will be launching an arrow tomorrow in honor of all of those miracles, for Voodoofires son, and for my brother (who never hunted but hunts with me everytime I'm out there)

Jerry
PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Bowhunters

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #290 on: December 10, 2006, 12:33:00 PM »
Yep, I used 35/55 GT Carbons with 50 grain brass inserts and 220 grain heads.  Extremely lethal combo for my 27" draw...!

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #291 on: December 14, 2006, 08:33:00 PM »
What's happening with the gals?

Mojo bag needs fillings folks.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jiane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #292 on: December 15, 2006, 12:03:00 PM »
Arrows in the air.....story and pics to follow  (A sick wife and 2 sick kids this week have limited my story telling time)  I'll have an update this weekend.

Jerry
PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Bowhunters

Offline jiane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #293 on: December 16, 2006, 04:21:00 PM »
We walked into the woods under the light of the waning December moon.  Enough snow on the ground to make a little crunch and reflect that light back to our eyes.  It is really a neat opportunity to walk through the woods without the aid of lights in the hours before dawn, to be there before the world wakes up.  So my "Dreaming Time" with Hope began.

We walk in about a 1/2 mile to our honey hole.  Upon arriving we always get that rude awakening of the game camera flash going off.  We know it's coming but it still gets you.  Makes for some interesting pictures!  My brother-in-law is with me and he has another 200 yards to go to get to his tree.  I climb up to my stand, strap in and bring up my pack and Hope.  Do the usual fidgeting and adjusting for a few minutes and all of this without a flashlight.  It is still 30 minutes to sunrise.  I was quite relaxed because of the light.  The imagination did not have to work very hard to figure out shapes and shapes that made sounds.  Settled in and waited for the world to wake up.  I have always held a special place in my heart for sunrises and sunsets, just my thing I guess.  It happens everyday, but it is just for those few moments that we get to see those wonderful colors and long shadows.

It is now 7:00 a.m. and I am in predator mode.  Hope is waiting patiently in my hands arrow nocked and ready.  Stand up and pull her back a few times at different shooting lanes to get the feeling.It was a special doe only weekend and hunter orange was required.

Sit back down and wait.......  about 8:00a.m.

I stand up and nock my dedication arrow.  Look around and make sure I haven't spooked anything and then face West.

Pull back and send an arrow into the great wide open in memory.  My brother-in-law who is about 200 yards away heard my arrow as it came down would later ask me it I shot at a grouse or something because he thought he heard me shoot.  I just told him I heard it too but didn't know what it was either.  I'll tell him someday that it was me, but right then it was my moment.

So I sat back down and waited..........about 8:30a.m.  Hope and I found ourselves with ringside seats to the USFC, that's the Ultimate Squirrel Fighting Championship in case your wondering.  From the West came Red Bellied Pete and the challenger from the East, Bushy Tailed Bob.  They were about to square off.  Pete was the first to move in on the unseen nut, but Bob was on him in a heart beat!!  Pete rolled onto his back put sprang right back up at Bob and put the hurtin' on him.  Bob was kicking and squawking on his back as Pete rolled him around.  Finally, Bushy Tailed Bob  went off a bit and chattered his taunts at Red Bellied Pete.  He had lost round one.  I sat down to wait......took a few more pictures.  This year I have begun to take more pictures while hunting and learning a few tricks.  Like how to keep a digital camera warm enough to operate.  The use of a handwarmer muff and one of the charcoal body warmers with the adhesive back stuck in the muff will warm a camera up enough to make it useful.   So I sat and waited............  Remember all that light when walking in the dark?  Well the deer find it pretty useful as well, especially after the gun/muzzle loader seasons.  So the morning ended without much fanfare but some good memories.
PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Bowhunters

Offline jiane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #294 on: December 16, 2006, 04:31:00 PM »
It was picture time then.  About 40 yards from my stand is a good rub.  Actually the stand sits just off a rub line.

Head back 30 miles to my in-laws house for some lunch and a quick nap.  The nap never happened because we had a visitor.  I took Hope out to the bale to shoot a bit.  While shooting my brother-in-law comes out to see and at the same time we notice a black object moving out of the corn about 1/2 mile from us where one of the farmers is combining the last of the corn.  "That isn't a dog.." I said.  "No, it's a bear.."  says my brother-in-law, and he was headed our way.  Ran to get the binocs.  We proceeded in a cut-off course with the bears direction.  Got to within ~150 yards, but he was moving too fast.  Quick uneducated quess of the bear puts him around 300-400 pounds.(could not see daylight under his belly and his head was huge)  That certainly was a special treat, but no pictures.

We headed back out for the afternoon hunt.   We had taken the game camera with us in the morning, and we had "photographic evidence" that all the deer in the woods had not disappeared.  In fact they had been 18 yards from my stand as little as a few hours before I had arrived in the morning.  Armed with that knowledge, I hunted the same stand hoping to catch a deer out a bit early.  My brother-in-law chose to sit a different location.  I was sitting at 2:30p.m. 2 hours till quitting time.  The squirrels came back for round two.  I was holding out to see if one of the grey squirrels would come for a visit, but the little red buggers is what I got.  So I nocked a hex-blunt and let fly at Red Bellied Pete at about 18 yards.  Missed about 12 inches above his head.  He didn't even make a noise, just took off running.  A few minutes later Bushy Tailed Bob came into about the same spot.  I took aim and let fly.  This time I missed by 3 inches to the left, and Bob put up one heck of a fit.  I am convinced that the third time would have been a charm, but unfortunately I was out of blunts.  Sending broadheads after squirrels just doesn't seem right to me.

The weather had warmed up quite a bit and it was a very pleasant evening to sit.  I had that feeling that everything was going to sit tight and move under the brightness of the moon.  So I sat back and watched the birds and listened to Pete and Bob chatter on about some issue that only squirrels know about.  Even the porcupine that has a tree not 25 yards from my stand was no where to be found.  It was a night of quiet reflection.  Looking around, I could see evidence of a previous encounter of the antlered kind.  left behind by one of our friends when confronted with the biggest deer he has ever seen.

I could see "Blowdown City.

where I had 2 doe fawns bed down 35 yards from me for 4 hours a few weeks back.  Finally I could see the sun setting lower and lower until that magic time once again arrived.

I had woke the world up and put it to sleep today.  I saw a bear get his lunch reservations canceled.  Sent arrows after squirrels.  Thought about my Dad's successful cancer surgery this year, the birth of my second daughter, the new brother that I have found in my brother-in-law, and of the children that this bow will help.  Yes, it was an emotional last few moments of the day.  It was a great day to be in the woods.

I am planning on getting Hope out one more time before I send her off to her next adventure.  Certaintly want to get some shot opportunities for the bow.
PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Bowhunters

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #295 on: December 16, 2006, 04:38:00 PM »
Very nice indeed.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #296 on: December 16, 2006, 07:35:00 PM »
Great stuff!  Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #297 on: December 16, 2006, 09:41:00 PM »
Nice hunt Jeremy, well told.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #298 on: December 17, 2006, 04:24:00 PM »
Well written and great pics thanks.

Offline Bucksnort101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #299 on: December 17, 2006, 04:50:00 PM »
Well, unfortunatley I have not been able to get "Faith" out on a hunt yet, but have been shooting her at the local range when time permits. Shoots hard and straight. Seems to like the Breast tapered shafts I'm using. Spined #63, 29" BOP with 125 grain tips. Seems to shoot anything I put through her very well.
Taking her out next Friday, Saturday, Sunday, she will then have Christmas day off and then mailed to the next lucky candidate.
Hopefully have a little Christmas weekend luck?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©