3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is the economy holding back buying a new bow or supplies  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is the economy holding back buying a new bow or supplies
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2009, 03:53:00 PM »
I can tell you this- at the Trad Expo this year- I was told they have NEVER had the number of custom bows leaving the building sold that they had THIS YEAR so the way I look at it-

if unemployment is 8.2 or 8.6 percent that means  92 percent of the people out there still have jobs. If our economic output is 1.5 percent lower that means its on track for 98.5 percent to still take place.

Of course its directly impacting those who've been laid off..its real for them. I was out of work six months last year...you don't have to tell me how difficult it can be. But my hunting is getting booked up this year AND into 2010. I'd say a lot of people are doing OK.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »
Fortunately for us it has been business as usual; but we never lived beyond our means anyway.

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2009, 04:44:00 PM »
I have a small construction business... I think...gone from 11 emloyees down to 1 helper. I really enjoy what I do. I hope I can ride this out. It has an impacted everything my family does. We are all determined to keep on keeping on.
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2009, 05:37:00 PM »
Im only working a few days a week so far this year - so year the economy is effecting everything I do that requires money.
Wherever you went - here you are.

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2009, 06:05:00 PM »
I'm pretty fortunate as both my wife and I are Registered Nurses with many years of seniority at the Hospital where we work. So far we have'nt been directly impacted by the current economy, but we're much more cautious in our spending just the same.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline DngrsDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2009, 06:32:00 PM »
Recession = when your neighbor loses his job.
Depression = when you lose your job.
Recovery = when Obama loses his job.
If something seems too good to be true it’s best to shoot it, just in case. … Fiona on “Burn Notice”

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2009, 06:39:00 PM »
Yes, we feel it, I've been working 32 hours since feb first, had to cut way back on everything!! just dreaming of a new bow,thats all i can do for awhile!! The good news is we got everything caught up and most stuff paid off before things got bad, so if things in the ecom start picking up we will be looking pretty!!
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2009, 06:45:00 PM »
You guys think you're sad...

My hours haven't changed...in fact I've started working a little over time.The only thing keeping me from buying a new bow is what I make weekly.Which is probably what some of you make on cut back hours.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2009, 06:53:00 PM »
My bussiness is in the dumps right now.Layed off all my help but one guy and am scatching trying to find enough work to keep him on.Like many I am just trying to make it through untill things get better.I still might but stuff but now will sell something to help cover it as far as archery is concerned.Life goes on and things change every day.We just hang in there untill it changes our way.  :)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »
I work for a small electrical contractor, normally 6 guys, we are down to 4 but that is normal for for this neck of the woods in the winter. Actually suprised (and Thankfull) that we have got 40hr/wk all winter.

Watching our $$ though, no big purchases, just the necessities, feathers and a few shafts...

Eric

Offline DngrsDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2009, 07:37:00 PM »
Was told last week that we're closing the doors the end of this week.
Yeah....cutting back.
If something seems too good to be true it’s best to shoot it, just in case. … Fiona on “Burn Notice”

Offline sethdiggs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2009, 08:15:00 PM »
Yep. Because of the economy, the local Food Lion (Grocery Store) isn't hiring so I can't work there to make money for bows. Instead, I have to work for my granddad doing jobs such as painting a steep roof and before too long, cutting grass.    :(  
I am thankful to have a job though.    :notworthy:
Damon Howatt Coronado 60" 45#@28

Offline unclewhit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »
I finaly found a job, after six long months of layoff. I'm working for the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach. It's a not for profit orginization, and we rely on the public to fund us, well bottom line is folks just aren't spending, so the belt got tightend and hours got shortened. But I'm glad to be working even if it's not 40 hrs. a week.
unclewhit
Bob lee signature series
Schafer Silvertip
Howard Hill "Tembo"

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2009, 09:24:00 PM »
A song comes to mind

" Somebody told us wallstreet fell. We was so poor that we couldnt tell" Alabama

We are blessed but we are not making any major purchases. The cost of food is outrageous. I hope my garden does well this year.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline blind one

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »
I work for an excavating company. I normally get laid off around Jan 1st until around March 1st. We depend on the new house market for our work. This year it was a month early for the layoff and still not sure when we will get called back. I buy used in good condition or trade now. Hopefully it will get better for us all...Roy
"To die is nothing. One is here, One is no longer here. It is only at the end one must be able to say 'I was a man'"...

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2009, 10:28:00 PM »
I just cancelled my bear hunt in Alberta this Spring.  I'm still going to Africa this fall but I'm doing it with accumulated air miles and money from a second job.  I have no confidence in the folks running the show right now.
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline TradPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2009, 11:10:00 PM »
Yeah We're feeling the pinch. I once had a large and successful Concrete company in NC, but due to the economic slump that started a year ago it has forced almost all of my builders to stop construction, which put us out of business. We went from 25 employees, 20 subs, 3 trucks, many peices of equipement and our home.  to all but one vehicle, We're renting, I'm back to various remodeling and handyman jobs with one helper, and i'm 34K in debt and possibly looking at chapter 7, but with all that being said, I have one amazing custom shooter left after selling my others(Border, RER, Ferguson, Fox, Bruin, Wallace..etc) My wife and I are doing better than ever, and my two boys are always a blessing. Every step of every day is in faith, and I have never been happier. plus next week i'm going to visit Lukas at Saluki    :bigsmyl:  

Shooting bows and breaking knocks still brings that big 'ol smile to my face.

Keep your heads up guys...

P.
"Dont let whats good, steal you away from whats best"

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2009, 11:14:00 PM »
It's interesting that three or four folks attribute the current economic situation to the present administration.  It's been in office two months and is trying to clean up the mess left by Bush and his cronies.  Most of us are hurting, but if we're going to point fingers, lets point them in the right direction.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2009, 11:32:00 PM »
Couldn't agree with you more, Orion.  Better still, why are we talking about politics at all?  I thought this was a trad archery site.  

Frankly, I'm none too interested in whether a person is republican or democrat.  Same goes for religion.  There are internet forums out the wazoo for those topics (like the politics section of Trad Gang).  Maybe it's just me (but probably not judging by the emails and phone calls I get), but why can't we exercise a little self-restraint and mutual respect and not try to force-feed our politics to other folks on PowWow?  Some of the signature lines I see look great as bumper stickers, but that's where they belong -- not here.

It's all about mutual respect, civility, and keeping on topic -- traditional archery.

My $0.02's worth.  I feel better now.     :)     Thanks, friends, for letting me get that off my chest.     :wavey:
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Bob Sarrels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2009, 12:18:00 AM »
We are also blessed.  My wife has a good paying job working for U.T. and my bow sales are at their highest.  We  have alwas lived within our budget and payed for every thing we needed with cash.  A little money hidaway for emergencies has been hit a couple of times when we needed it but were able to refill it fairly quickly.  My brother lost his job some months back and had to move to another city to gain employment.  I feel for those that have lost jobs and pray things will get better soon.  I think this thing will last for more than a year but am old enough to remember worst times.  Altho , not worst managers.
Now then, get your weapons ~ your quiver and bow ~ and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27.3

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©