3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is the economy holding back buying a new bow or supplies  (Read 1028 times)

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is the economy holding back buying a new bow or supplies
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2009, 12:35:00 AM »
oops -- hit the wrong button!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2009, 03:25:00 AM »
Really happy I'm recantly retired with pretty good RR pension [federally insured???] just hoping my Buddies still at work keep paying into Railroad Retirement.  

I'm finding medical insurance premiums rising almost daily and that scares me.  

Have been able to keep most of my bows to this point.  Will be selling some soon to fund my Alaska bear hunt but that was expected when I booked the hunt.

Gene  :wavey:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline tj69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2009, 03:33:00 AM »
Originally posted by Orion:
It's interesting that three or four folks attribute the current economic situation to the present administration.  It's been in office two months and is trying to clean up the mess left by Bush and his cronies.  Most of us are hurting, but if we're going to point fingers, lets point them in the right direction.
Orion,
I just wanted to write the same!
Thank you!
tj69
Bezaleel ILF riser + Border HEX6 limbs 50#@29"
Morrison XD riser + Border HEX6 limbs 51#@29"

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2009, 10:08:00 AM »
I'm selling stuff to buy newer stuff. I've come to terms that I have enough good "stuff" already. There was a few things that I picked up that I needed to upgrade (tent/gps) and I'm doing my best to hold the line on my self imposed 1 bow/knife a year rule. I need to stay away from the classified section...some great deals out there right now.

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline crumrw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2009, 10:36:00 AM »
I've been laid off twice in the last two months and am getting married in July.  Definitely feeling it on this end.  Won't be able to afford a bow for awhile, but this might be a blessing.  I am now doing something that I probably wouldn't have considered before and that is build my own bow.  Recessions make good opportunities to hone one's skills and a lot of ingenuity comes out of recessions.  ...just my two cents.

Rick

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2009, 10:50:00 AM »
Good for you Rick,its hitting people in different area of the country , hurting the working man!
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2009, 11:10:00 AM »
I have a small business, it is off about 30 percent. Older people are having a tough time with utilities and food prices. I think the worse is yet to come.

Offline Raven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2009, 11:29:00 AM »
"The Future is Uncertain and Death is always near."  :scared:    :readit:    :bigsmyl:  

Raven >>>>--------->

Offline Yelloweye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2009, 12:07:00 PM »
Closing the Plant where I work, got until the 31st. After 23 years I am looking for a job.
Recycling some arrows, no new ones. Got to do with less, which is nothing new. Going to Practice shooting sitting cross legged to get ready for turkey season. Will have more time to hang out here. What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2009, 12:35:00 PM »
well here is my $.02.  It is always wise to spend less than you make.
It is true that jobs have been lost.  Unemployment is what 8.5%..2% more than last year and that means 91.5% of people are working. We do not sell our houses to buy toys.. we do not cash out our retirement 4o1Ks to pay for a hog hunt or spring bear hunt. (I hope we don't any way). We pay for that stuff out of our paychecks.  Live your life this bump in the road with pass.
AND FOR HEAVEN SAKES STOP LISTENING TO THE $&%^&%
NEWS.....THEY ARE THE PROBLEM....

Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2009, 01:51:00 PM »
George, Ray and Joe are my heros!!!!!

(Edit) Oops back on topic: I will spend where I can to keep the economy going.....
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2009, 02:31:00 PM »
I work in the trading business and have been seeing a huge hit to the money I have been able to make.  In fact last year at this time I was up nearly 100K for the year.  This year I am actually down money.  It makes the hole to dig out of look very deep when businesses are failing, hedge funds are blowing out, and people are scared to do business because nobody really knows what to expect.  So to make a short answer a little longer than neccesary, NO im not buying anything I can live without.  I do need some supplies for turkey season but will try to put that off as long as possible.  Hopefully towards next fall this will have been on the upward swing for a few months, but until then keep what you have as long as you can.

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2009, 02:49:00 PM »
Yup.  Work has cut hours.  I'm currently digging for a part time job of some sort.  Nothing for me for a while.  Luckily I had cut our expenses a bunch a while ago.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2009, 04:09:00 PM »
Orion and Knife River - couldn't agree with you two guys more.  Thanks.  

Who screwed things up doesn't really matter anymore.  The question is how do we get them fixed so we can go back to hunting and BS'ing about it and the equipment we use instead of having to worry about the economy?  

We're all Americans.  Things have been screwed up before, ranging from mildly to nearly FUBAR, and we've always managed to come together and work our way out of it.  We'll do it this time too, as long as we treat each other with civility and respect.

Now, stepping down from my soap box, anybody have any suggestions for a "won't break the bank" hog hunt?
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline eman614

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2009, 04:25:00 PM »
joe ashton i'm with you 100% turn off the news and the world is a wonderful place again. a lady on the job site the other day made a comment the made me sick. something about this world was a living hell. it sad to know that people think that way. as far as the economy goes. luckly for me business isn't too bad. i own my own tile laying business that i branched off from my uncle, so he sub contracts alot of the work to me. thank god he put most of his eggs in the remodeling bascket and not the new construction or we would be out of work also. hope it turns around for everyone soon. good luck to all.
eric

Offline Dan Bonner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2009, 04:56:00 PM »
Knife River,
Its interesting how you espoused your political opinion by agreeing with Orion and then backhandedly attacked dangrsDan about his signature quote while cautioning everyone else about stating their political views. I guess its ok for us to state our opinion as long as we agree with your "correct view of the world"? Sounds like the same attitude the media has taken.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2009, 05:35:00 PM »
I just took 3 orders for Kempf bows. I find either the individual has saved up the money over a period of time or their financial situation has not been too badly affected.

However, I feel most bowhunters are tightening their belts and fixing up the old arrows and digging out those broadheads. The majority of us have families and family comes first.

There are enough bowhunters out there who won't be affected due to their financial status. Hunting camps out west will still be filled up for Elk,Deer and Antelope season and those high priced hunts in Canada for Moose, Sheep etc...will still be filled.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2009, 06:02:00 PM »
Bonner-couldn't agree with you more.  Thanks.
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2009, 06:21:00 PM »
Dan Bonner, you are correct that I inappropriately stated my political views.  The pot called the kettle black.  ggg  Like I said, there's no place on PowWow for it.  Mea culpa.  

You are incorrect, though, that I attacked DangrsDan.  If you'd like to PM me, I'll be glad to discuss other posts with you.

Now, gents, any one care to get this thread back on track or are we going to keep thrashing a thoroughly dead horse?
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2009, 07:48:00 PM »
I picked one heck of a year to try to start a new business!  :knothead:    

But so far I have been plesantly suprised.  I've been selling the heck out of RER bows.  And the couple of shows I have been at have been pretty darn good for a brand new traditional archery business.  

I didn't do this to get rich, and I knew up front it would take some time to get up and off the ground.

I don't want to sound like I am minimizing the problems that many of you currently face, and I certainly hope it turns around quick for those that are struggling right now.  But as was mentioned, 91.5% are still working and life goes on pretty much as before.  If it weren't blasted at us by the news media constantly most folks wouldn't even know much about the problems.

I spent a carrer as a banker.  And good financial advice applies in good times as well as bad.  Live within your means, and not on credit cards.  Don't spend to keep up with the neighbors.  But do enjoy life while you are still living!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©