3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: sheds - who's finding them?  (Read 1944 times)

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
sheds - who's finding them?
« on: March 17, 2007, 03:26:00 PM »
I've really started to love shed hunting in the spring. It's a great way to get out after a long winter. So far I've picked up 6 in 5 walks in the woods, but since Woodchucker decided to try starbucks this week we now have a fresh 6" of snow.  :)  So since I can't get out and look, I thought I'd see how everybody else is doing. Let's see some pics!
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: sheds - who's finding them?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 04:47:00 PM »
I was going to look today....but the two feet of snow(thanks a lot Chuck) put a damper on it. I leave for Fla.(fishing) and Ga.(Turkey and maybe more) Monday...maybe the snow will be gone in two weeks when I get back....Good luck finding some though. Enjoy the snow....lol.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 04:55:00 PM »
Know a kid near here that picked up a half a dozen the other day in a pretty short period.  One eight matched set and the rest were singles, but all nice and fresh with no chew marks yet.  Good time to be looking.  dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 05:47:00 PM »
Heres a nice pair my freind Tim picked up last weekend.

"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 06:15:00 PM »
Those are huge!

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 07:07:00 PM »
No the girl is just small   :bigsmyl:  We have way to much snow to look.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 07:20:00 PM »
Must be something about guy's named Tim! My buddy Tim has already found four sheds. Wish I had pics!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 07:35:00 PM »
Adeeden-Be sure they know that he got them in Iowa. Hap

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 07:37:00 PM »
Actually Hap, They did not come from IL! And thats the truth. Theres another sleeper state thats really coming along in the antler department and has alot less pressure!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline willerstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 10:46:00 PM »
I've been out twice this week. Have seen three nice bucks with both sides still on running with 3 other bucks without. Have found one small shed and two dead six pointers.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 11:59:00 PM »
Too much time cutting Cedar to look real hard for sheds.  We did catch a 310# boar in a trap which was unusual.  Used corn soaked in water and beer until it was stinky and black.  He could not resist.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline arraflipper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 05:59:00 AM »
I found one last Sunday, but there was still a fair amount of snow in the timber.  That is gone now and got to watch the ice go out Sunday evening.  Always fun to watch the ice go out, and see the power it has!
Arraflipper
Jim Fisk Bowyer
"Life is to short to shoot an ugly bow!"

Offline dosbow56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2007, 08:03:00 AM »
How have you had the best luck looking? Do you head off of the trails or on? Do you look for rubs? I've been hittin the woods pretty heavy for the past couple weeks and seen nothing.
Adeeden, You must be having a confusion, there is no way those could come from this side of the river......nod-nod wink-wink
"We watch our arrows fly. We watch our friends' arrows fly. We can't wait 'til the next one flies. It's as though we were watching through a child's eyes the same marvelous magic trick over and over."
Dean Torges "Hunting the Osage Bow"

Offline KELLEY40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2007, 01:07:00 PM »
Found two this morning in an hour.
Ron

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2007, 02:33:00 PM »
Dosbow, I'm no exert, but I've found my share over the years. For what it's worth, here's some tips for finding sheds that have worked for me. First, deer aren't always in the same area when they drop as they are say in Nov. You have to look in areas the deer use in late winter. Second, I've had my best luck in bedding areas. In late winter deer only move when they have to and they spend the majority of their time holed up. I've often found both sides of a rack side by side in a bed several times.

The 2 best bedding areas I've found are heavy young pine stands that block wind and cold, and relatively open south facing slopes where they can get some sun on nice days. Also, don't overlook a single pine/cedar in a hardwoods or open field. I've probably found a dozen sheds over the years in these places, usually on the south side of the tree.

Crop fields are hit and miss for me. you can cover a lot of ground fast, but sometimes that's not a good thing. Soybeans that didn't get cut can be bonanzas, but corn fields are really tough to find them in because they blend in so well. Walk hedge rows when ever possible. I've found several along them. Also, if you know of a good scrape line, walk it. I found one this year that scored 67+ laying in a scrape. My guess is he knocked it off while working the licking branch. (I'm still looking for the match to that one)

One last thing. Try to go looking on overcast days. For some reason sheds seem to glow when the light is low. Once you've found a couple your eyes will start looking for that subtle curve of horn among the dead branches on the ground. Good Luck!
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2007, 02:36:00 PM »
In Texas I hike with a set of binoculars.  Walk 50 yards then scan everything around me.  Walk another 50 yards, etc...  You cover alot more groun that way.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2007, 03:45:00 PM »
7 so far. Nothing big. Two sets. Snow still too deep up here though. C'mon spring!!!
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline Rigs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2007, 02:47:00 PM »
My 7 year old daughter and I found two sheds the other day...one was a six pt, and the other a four pt whitie (western count).  Not big bucks but a 6x6 whitie is always nice!!

Happy hunting,
Jason
Hunting and Fishing ARE family values!  Lifetime member Traditional Bowhunters of Montana, member of Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2007, 10:01:00 PM »
Went out shed hunting today. All I found was a bunch of hog tracks and ended up getting stuck.   :banghead:

Offline Todd Weldon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2007, 04:47:00 AM »
I've been hoping to find the sheds off of a really nice 8pt that I have been watching and filming for the last year. I have posted some pics of him and six other bucks that were grouped up last summer.

Found them both last night!!!!!

They was still on his head! I couldn't believe it, March 20th and he is still wearing his horns.
He had better get rid of them so that he can start on his next set.

Todd
Forget McAllester, I'm just gonna hunt at the house this year!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©