3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: So...who has a feather burner...?  (Read 420 times)

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
So...who has a feather burner...?
« on: March 17, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
Hi all,

Well after reading someplace that the Vario Clipper (chopper) is no longer being made it looks like I'll have to move on up to a feather burner one day.

How hard are they to use and I guess I'm really after the pros and cons of this item.

Thanks for the help,

ak.

Oh, and what sort of shapes can you make with the wire?
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: So...who has a feather burner...?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 01:40:00 PM »
Other than the burned feather smell.
They are great, the feather burners allow you to truely "customize" your feathers.
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 01:42:00 PM »
I like playing with it.  Buy extra wires and catalog them to size and shape.  Draw back-odor=wife's dismay in winter!  It also supposedly "weakens" the edges. I don't worry about that much as they seem to frizz a little which may soften the whistle.
advantage is you can shape them as you want.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 01:44:00 PM »
I have choppers and a feather burner. I prefer the burner. They are easy to set up. You can get extra ribbons(burning element) and make up different style fletchings. I use mine outside because burning feathers really stink but you can burn the fletching on a dozen arrows in a matter of minutes.
  There might even be a build-along for a homemade feather burner. I have seen them made with old electric train transformers and even an electric soldering gun.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 02:08:00 PM »
Have chopper and hated it... Waayyy to much work.    Have burner... very nice and fun. I love making nasty smells in the shop... makes people think I'm doing something.    However, all that said, last year I was in a hurry and bought precut feathers in bulk... now I think it's the only way to fly.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline pointy sticks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »
all I use is a burner when doing most of my fancy work. It allows me to splice feathers and shape things the way I want them. The extra ribbbons (wires0 are easy to get and shape and don't cost near as much as buying a different shape chopper.

The one thing i would recomend is having some of that green painters tape around to wrap around the shafts to protect them from the heat on the wire if you get too close.

these were done using my burner, and have a slghtly higher profile in the mid section almost like an eleveate "orcha" shape.

make em pretty and shoot em straight.

Secretary and Membership Chair
Bowhunters Association of Nova Scotia

Traditional Archers Association of Nova Scotia (member)

Archers Association of Nova Scotia (Member)

Offline Brian P.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »
Had choppers at first and hated them. I could never get a consistant cut (not a Vario Clipper)

Bought a burner and never looked back. Best thing since sliced bread, as they say. I have 3 burners, in fact, just so I dont have to swap ribbons around when doing different sizes or shapes.

Keep your eyes peeled in the classifieds. That is where I picked up 2 of mine.

BP
"As a rule, nothing does an arrow so much good as to shoot it, and nothing so much harm as to have it lie inactive and crowded in the quiver"   Saxton Pope

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 04:02:00 PM »
I have several different shapes/sizes of chopper and a burner. The smell is AWFUL when you burn feathers, and I haven't gotten the hang of shaping the ribbons--choppers are cheaper and work just fine.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »
Even a gurrrlllll can use one. And if you're a gurrrrlllll, you can make it a rule that the feather burner lives in the kitchen. On top of the microwave.

Al, your arrows are some of the prettiest pieces of deadly art that I have ever seen. I can't wait to see what you come up with once you get the freedom of a burner!

And buy lots of wires.   :readit:  
Killdeer   :D
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »
I rather like the smell of burning feathers, myself.  Burner is all I've ever used.  :bigsmyl:

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 05:29:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  You'll like it Al.              GY

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 06:05:00 PM »
Easy to use and just as easy to make.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline GUYZER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 09:31:00 PM »
I use mine since the late 70's but the wife hate the smell!!!

MAY THE SPIRIT OF FRED BEAR GUIDE OUR ARROWS.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »
Honestly, I have a burner and a chopper and much prefer the chopper.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 12:17:00 AM »
Thanks all for the feedback. Looks as though I'll be moving onto a burner when my Vario Clipper has had it last day.

I too like the Ocra shape as it's not out there all that much and was one of the reasons I bought a Vairo.

Thanks for the kind words to Killy, I always like your photos ... not bad for a guurrrllll.

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 01:49:00 AM »
Al,

Here's a sample of a simple but different effect that shows the sort of stuff you can try with a feather burner.  Been doing all mine like this for years "just because".

About the only drawback is the chance to scorch the shaft or crest paint.  If you look real close at the lower feather in the pic near the front end, there is a little bit of brown.  That's really just a smoke stain and would clean off if I'd bother with it but it is possible to end up with brown spots that won't come off because they are an actual burn.  With a little care and practice it's really a piece of cake though.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 08:19:00 AM »
I used a burner for my feathers up until last year when I bought a vario clipper. The clipper works so well I haven't used my burner lately.

If you have the wire set right on your burner it won't scorch your shafts. I also keep mine in a place where it can't be bumped and have the wire bent. My wife was always hitting it while cleaning and changing my wire position so I found an out of the way place to store it.

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 09:12:00 AM »
I love mine. Practice with it at first. Once you get the hang of it you'll be able to set that ribbon just right on the first try.
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 09:24:00 AM »
Dave, I love the effect! the arrow is again just a leafed sapling in the woods...great spirit in that.

Killdeer   :thumbsup:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 11:25:00 AM »
I have a couple. Some are more used than others.  :goldtooth:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©