3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deer or Elk in Unit 61 in CO?  (Read 535 times)

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
Deer or Elk in Unit 61 in CO?
« on: March 17, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »
I intend to put in for an archery tag for both elk and deer in Unit 61 in CO this year. I have 14 points for elk and 4 points for deer. I should draw the elk tag and have a good chance of drawing the deer tag. If anyone has any info that could be helpful please pm with your contact info. If you would prefer to communicate by e-mail or pm let me know that. If you don't mind a phone call give me your number and let me know when the most convenient time is for me to contact you. Thanks.
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deer or Elk in Unit 61 in CO?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 03:34:00 PM »
I have a friend that killed a 361" Bull there four years ago. He hunted pretty hard and got several miles back on foot. I think He drew that tag with 10 points at that time.

I remember He said He saw several huge Mule deer while he was hunting that unit.

What kind of info are You looking for?

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 03:40:00 PM »
bohuntr,I replied on the ***********. Good luck on your hunt!!

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 03:44:00 PM »
Brett, I am looking for info on where people who hunted there camped, where they saw elk, where most of the hunting pressure was, water sources, etc. If you don't mind check with your friend and see if it would be ok for me to contact him. Thanks.
    Roger I will reply to you over at the LW. Thanks.

Dan
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 03:53:00 PM »
I'll get in touch and get back to You.

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 03:58:00 PM »
Thanks Brett.

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 10:42:00 AM »
TTT

Online DGW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 12:28:00 PM »
I hunted 61 last year we had 13 points and not all with 13 drew for elk so 14 might not be a given but should have a chance.was a great hunt could of shot elk every day, on 9th day shot a 5point that is 301+ p&y.  Can call me after 7pm tonight will give you more 620-242-3341.  Dan

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 01:40:00 PM »
Thanks Dan.

Offline CCWhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 01:52:00 PM »
WOW 13 points.
Thats along wait.

We hunted 67 last year, and sightings were
very low, but we went before the BP season.
Good luck, hope you score.
Maryland Bowhunters Society

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 07:48:00 PM »
Thanks Eric. That is some awful pretty country you were hunting in the picture posted on your member profile!

Offline CCWhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 12:04:00 PM »
Shoot, I like your 6x6 picture better.
Very Nice.
Maryland Bowhunters Society

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »
I'll have 12 and 12 for points next year and have been wondering If I'll live long enought to elk hunt there.  Have thought about putting in for a deer tag just to get some experience.  Be sure and have some good stories for us.

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 03:04:00 PM »
Thanks Eric for the compliment on my bull.

Larry I am just hoping that 14 points will do it this year. I am pretty sure it will but who knows for sure. I know how you feel with the # of points you have. I originally wanted to draw 10 or 201 but I am farther away from that now than I was 6 years ago. That is why I have decided on 61.  If I draw 61 I guarantee some good stories ... most of my elk hunts have ended up with good stories rather than elk meat. Hopefully this year it can be both!!!

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »
I just noticed you were from SD.  Hunted muleys by Buffalo last OCT.  

Do you know if there are decent places to park a trailer in 61?  I am retired and would like to bring a small (18 ft box) camper trailer down to center from.  I will probably hunt 2-3 weeks depending on if I get any other draws in 2010.  I think I'll ask for deer next year.

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2009, 06:47:00 PM »
I`m taking this as that these units are big bull units with that many points needed?? This is the first time i`ve herd people talk about them. I have herd a lot about 76 an i plan on drawing a tag this year with 9 points just wondering if in the future i should look at other units for better bulls?
Bull

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2009, 11:39:00 AM »
Hey Hattrick the common conception is that the best Units for real big bulls would be the NW corner units like 201, 1, and 10. Then the next tier would be 61 then 76. Being a non resident I cannot tell you for sure if this is correct but a lot of folks who should know seem to think so. Someone suggested to me that I should not waste my 14 points on Unit 61 because the top end bulls would ONLY go between 320 and 340". Let me tell you I would be estatic to shoot a puny little 320 to 340" bull so I am content to try and draw 61. I realize that there will not be bulls like that behind every tree and it will take some hard hunting to come up with a good bull. What I do expect to see if I draw is good numbers of bulls and much less than normal hunting pressure.

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2009, 03:05:00 PM »
I`m with you there 300 class bull if i am lucky enough...i bet you could hear me whop an holler  all way to SD... Thanks for the info i was thinking 76 was suppose to be as good as gets, but thats what i get for being a eastern guy
Bull

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2009, 06:16:00 PM »
I think your point about less hunting pressure is at least as important as size of the bulls.  I want a hunt I can enjoy and getting bumped all the time is not enjoyable.

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2009, 10:37:00 PM »
I'm sitting on 15 points for elk and 13 for deer. I was thinking of applying for 61 this year but decided to buy more points and go moose hunting in Canada instead.
Jack Shanks

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©