3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: PSE Coyote  (Read 426 times)

Offline shootist1952

• Trad Bowhunter
PSE Coyote
« on: March 17, 2009, 06:44:00 PM »
Looking for opinions on this bow from those who have actually used/owed one.My questions are is this bow really made in the USA?,can it be shot off the shelf if a rest is set up there,and is the quality good? You see I am just getting back into this after many years of being away from archery and am finding it very difficult to get a decent bow for a reasonable price.I really want a new bow,not used,so I dont have to worry about the history of a used bow,one less thing to think about while trying to get good arrow flight and relearning to shoot.I have settled on the recurve
as the grips are much more comfortable to me.I know there are alot of options but really more than $300 is out of the question and to me takes alot of the fun out of this,it just seems all this has gotten a whole lot more expensive and technical than when I was in it.Im border line on the verg of just packing it in.

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: PSE Coyote
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 09:48:00 PM »
I had one.  I gave it to a youngster about 3 years ago.  I owned it for about three months befor that.  I picked it up at a yard sale, I have no idea how old or how many previous owners.  Good solid bow, pretty forgiving of minor errors.  I took it hunting a few times, it worked OK from a blind.  I used Wally World Carbon Express 30-50's that I took the vanes off and refletched with feathers.  Bill

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 09:52:00 PM »
For $300 you can get a new Maddog or Quinn and have a much better bow IMO. Also check out the classifieds here, lots of great deals. Post an add with your budget and I'm sure you'll get plenty of offers.

I had a Coyote once, never again.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 10:11:00 PM »
I have a Coyote, got it because it was cheap,$225 new from a PSE dealer. I built up the rest to shoot it from the shelf. Now I have it set up just for bow fishing and it's good for that, really can't hurt it. But Like Vermonster13 said you can do much much beter on the used market, in some cases for less than $300.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 11:04:00 PM »
I never liked it, the grip just wasn't for me

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 09:52:00 AM »
Don't like the Coyote.They just took a compound designed riser and stuck some limbs on it to try and cash in on the trad market.

For the same money get a Quinn Stallion or the new Hoyt Excel 21" ILF riser and some Sebastion Flute limbs.

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 10:31:00 AM »
Nothing wrong with a used bow.....most of 'em any way.  Any bows I bought off of here always had the option, if ya ain't happy with it return it.  
  BTW you'd be happy with either a MadDog or Quin, both fine bows.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 11:07:00 AM »
The bow does torque due to its design.  I built a better grip on mine and stopped that problem.  It is a nice bow for the buck
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 11:09:00 AM »
I have one, and only use it for Bow Fishing.

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »
I have had one for a number of years now. I don't like it. I ended up setting it up for bowfishing and I don't like it for that purpose either. My advise is to keep looking. Those Maddog bows are definitely a much better deal.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline duck'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 03:06:00 PM »
I picked one up used and cheap.  Planned to keep it for bowfishing and a throw-down backup for hunting.  After shooting it, I decided to sell it.  Just didn't like it.  Seemed loud with excessive hand shock.  I will support the suggestion to look at a Quinn...great bows and a great price.  These opinions are just mine, take them for what they are worth.

Offline shootist1952

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 04:28:00 PM »
Thank you all for your input I truly do appreciate it.Steve

Offline HUNTER94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 07:59:00 PM »
I really like mine.

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 08:28:00 AM »
I'd go for a Quinn.  I've got a PSE Sable and have shot a few others and none of them compare to a Quinn.  I have two Stallions and they shoot as well as any higher priced bow I've ever shot, don't let the price tag fool ya.

Just my $0.02
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline Bird Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 08:42:00 AM »
As indicated earlier, the Coyote has a compound riser. Brace height is 6.5 inches so arm slap can be a problem. It shoots pretty well for the $220 I have in it but it's noisy. Torque is a problem unless you grip it with just the thumb and fore finger. Its the only cheap bow that I've owned so I can't compare it against other cheap bows. My advice---buy a good used bow.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 09:33:00 AM »
I`ve seen a lot of good bows go for 3 bills or less on the classifieds. I had a fella give me a Coyote and in a matter of days I "gave" it away as well.You can usually by and old Jeffery for around 250 or so. Much better bows.RC

Offline shootist1952

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 06:05:00 PM »
Thanks guys!I just ordered a Quinn today based on the good things said here.Very nice lady took my order,now all I gotta do is wait.Arrgg.

Offline csdqm2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »
I started with a PSE Impala, 50lb. Mine is marked "Made In Italy". It shoots pretty well, but then I don't have a $800 bow to compare it to. I developed a crack in the upper limb after the first year of shooting. I took it back to the dealer and they had both limbs replace no problem. Fit and finish are kind of what you would expect from a production bow, nothing to write home about but so far so good. I wouldn't be afraid to recommend it as a starter bow. Of course I think we will all eventually want a custom if we stay with it, but for under $200, It's not a bad way to start.
"Allways do sober what you say you'll do drunk... It will teach you to keep your mouth shut."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©