3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which longbow should I consider...Martin , Bear or other ?  (Read 1147 times)

Offline skychief

• Trad Bowhunter
Which longbow should I consider...Martin , Bear or other ?
« on: March 17, 2009, 07:45:00 PM »
I think I want to get into shooting a longbow.  After some thought and window shopping for a custom or vintage bow, I may look into whatever Bear or Martin have to offer.   Which of these companies make the highest quality longbow?   Which is the best bang-for-the-buck?   Best warranty/customer service?  Again, I am starting my search for a new production bow right here with this question and I hope some of you will offer your thoughts please.   Maybe besides Bear and Martin, I might be steered to another company.    Your help (any help) is MUCH appreciated!

If it matters, I will be looking for a 40-45# longbow.   Any suggestions about specific models would be helpful too!   Thanks.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which longbow should I consider...Martin , Bear or other ?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 07:55:00 PM »
You should check out Maddog Archery in the Sponsors Forum. For $300 you can have a new quality bow with excellent service. You get to talk to the bowyer himself too.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Henry Hammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 08:07:00 PM »
I think Martin's customer service is outstanding. If you watch the classifieds here I think you will find yourself a pretty good deal. There have been several Martin's and Bear's for a good price. The Bear grip is different than the Martin so if you can go to a sporting shop and feel the difference that would help you out alot. Good Luck! Just beware I tried a longbow and got rid of my recurves..Henry
"No man's opinion is any better than his background, his experience and his general common sense." Jack O' Connor

Offline zinndl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 08:08:00 PM »
I would suggest shooting as many different types as possible, and remember while you don't have to spend a fortune, you do get what you pay for.
IMO the main factor that in long bows is the style of grip, some are more shooter friendly than others. There is also limb desing - deflex / reflex or straight, length of bow etc. Alot of things to consider, so in view of the investment you will be making take your time and research. I just bought a Great Northern Bush Bow and love it.

http://www.gnbco.com/
Psalm 19:1
The heavens declare the glory of God;and the firmament showeth his handiwork

Offline sj_lutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 08:13:00 PM »
There's a boatload of great longbows out there.  Shoot as many as you can, and pick the one that you like the best.  You mentioned Bear and Martin, the Montana and Savannah are both pretty well regarded.  The Savannah is probably a bit spendier than the Montana, and it's a reflex / deflex bow.  

I've got a 45 pound Savannah and love it.  It's a sweet shooting bow....

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »
A longbow from Marty ,aka"Apex Predator" longbows would be a good choice as well.RC

Offline Groundpounder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 09:07:00 PM »
I was recently in the same position as you . some of the guys on here gave me the advice of looking for a used bow on here.they felt that ,that would be the way to get the most bang for the buck. I had lots of replies and narrowed it down to the one that fit my needs.Ive been shooting the bow now for the last three days and i love it!

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 10:39:00 PM »
If you like the looks and I do, the Martin's are better bows than many "customs" that offer more choices in woods and little else that is superior. Just because a guy builds them in his garage doesn't make them better bows than those being built in Martin's "factory." I prefer any longbow that has a longbow grip and that true "D" shape when strung. Part of the fun for me was learning how to grip/shoot one. I already had the recurve grip down.    :)    Anyway, that's my way of applauding your going in this direction!    :thumbsup:  Oh! When I say this, it is NOT in reference to the above bows!   :)
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 11:04:00 PM »
I recently picked up a Mohawk LB from vince 9mohawk Longbows) and I've got another with the exact same specs on order with him.  I'll end up only keeping one, but I'm extremely pleased with the one I'm currently shooting.

Good luck with your choice.

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 11:25:00 PM »
Try and make it to one of the bigger shoots with lots of vendors and bows for sale. You will get to shoot'em and see what fits in your hand the best. I would'nt start out with a custom bow.
Sportsmans Wharehouse is closing 20-30 stores nation wide. I was in one that had martin and bear bows 200-300 LESS than they normally sell for at the BP shops. A great deal!!
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 12:57:00 AM »
mohawk....mohawk....mohawk....  :readit:  great bows and a great price.imho..i have shot few longbows that shoot as smoothly and totally quiet as a mohawk...i been on a recurve binge lately but mohawks are in the near future,and they are plenty fast also.if i had one i'd ship it to you and let you try it out..go to mohawkbows.com and see if he may let you test one before you buy it...larry
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 01:34:00 AM »
Well, I'd also recomend looking for a good used bow or a lower end custom.  For $300 to $400 you can get a darned nice bow.  If you look long and hard, you could spend half that.

That said, you asked about the Martin and Bear bows....I'm kinda like Curveman in that I appreciate the looks and craftsmanship of any bow as much as it's performance.  I've never shot either the Martin Savanah or the Bear Montanna but I've looked them over, strung them up and pulled them both.  Without a doubt, the craftsmanship is about three times greater in the Martin bow.  However, it's about twice the price of the Montanna....

The other option is to buy the Montanna and a couple files, rasps and sandpaper and finish building it.  To me, it just looks like a bow nearly fresh out to the press.  Nothing much is smoothed out, blended etc.  The tip overlays are four times bigger than they need to be and the handle isn't rounded out very well.  There have been quite a few guys here who have "refinished" a montanna and turned it into a pretty darned nice bow.  I'm thinking about getting one for my daughter in the future and making it "purty" for her.  

Comparing the draw, I thought the Martin was smoother but I pull about 31-32 inches.  The Martin Savannah does have more reflex deflex also so it makes sense that it would be a little smoother and maybe a little faster.

Lastly, you're from Indiana I see.  Wait till July and head to Marshall, MO and go to Mojam with about 3 days to burn and you could easily go home with a selfbow of your very own making for almost free.  If you don't count the cost of sweat equity and believe me, when it comes to Mojam, there's usually no shortage of sweat....  Take something to trade or cut your own osage ahead of time, pick up a drawknife from an antique store, a 4 in one rasp and a cabinet scraper and you'll be set.  Read Dean Torges "Hunting the osage bow" ahead of time and you'll likely find you have yourself a whole nuther hobby coming on strong.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 04:44:00 AM »
I owned a martin savanah it was a real nice bow. but if I were you I would check out tradgang classfides you can get a much nicer bow for your hard earn money.If there is something you dont know about a certin bow you may be intresrtd in just ask.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 05:05:00 AM »
All I have to add here is the grip on a montana is equivlent to holding a 2x4.Haven't tried a Martin.It may put a bad taste in your mouth about LB's like me.

I'm looking at a custom LB with a GOOD grip.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »
For what it's worth, I owned a Bear Montana and was very pleased with it. Ready for Fastflite and contrary to what some may say, it IS reflex/deflex, although not as extreme as some bows are. Which I believe makes for a little more forgiving bow. It's also cut-to-center. Very inexpensive, especially if you by used.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline dad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 10:03:00 AM »
I'm going to say this, go shoot a Bear Montana and a Martin to see what you like. My son shoots a Bear Montana and is very pleased with his 45# longbow. He has had the bow for a few years and has shot others but in his mind there is no differance. He has no desire to sell or get another one. That is the best deal in the price range. If you can wait you will see them both for sale used. If you decide new the price differance between the two is a lot.

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »
Harvey, where in Indiana are you? There's alot of people here from Indiana with alot of bows to shoot! Could you go to 3 Rivers one day and shoot alot of bows they carry? Cloverdale's Nationals is comming up in June, a great place to try different bows and meet some great people, new friends and old! My advice, Buy the first bow that shoots good, feels good for You! Try to make it out to a local shoot and try some bows out.

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 12:08:00 PM »
Are you left handed? There's a longbow on the classifieds here that I'd recommend...Fred Anderson Hyak.
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Online Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 04:06:00 PM »
Here's the Maddog from Sponsors classified

TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »
As a first Longbow? I would recommend a Mohawk as well. First of all the price is great 425.00 for a Custom Longbow with four lams of Bamboo [if you want]. Very easy to shoot,smooth to draw,DEAD quiet, no handshock, and surprisingly quick for a Longbow. Plus Vince is good people. Vince is a Sponsor here. Go to his web site and read his history-why he started building bows.   :readit:    :saywhat:    :archer:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©