3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thank You To A Great Friend  (Read 568 times)

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Thank You To A Great Friend
« on: March 18, 2009, 02:59:00 PM »
Several years ago, I came to know a fella through chatting on a couple different archery forums. Over time we got to be pretty good friends, although we could argue and debate amongst each other quite easily.

Along about this time, I had just started sticking my toe into the waters of traditional archery. I was shooting a Red Wing Hunter recurve, and really starting to get bit by the bug so to speak, when my bow delaminated while stringing it. A monumental setback to be sure.
Bob is a cantankerous fella, never shy on tellin ya what he's thinkin, and doesnt care if he ruffles a few feathers in the process. I respect that in a fella. Straight up honesty. Anyway, he also has a big heart.

He's always been an ardent supporter of getting bows in kids hands, promoting bowhunting, and archery. He had donated a mint Bear Kodiak Magnum to auction to raise money for Camp Wilderness, a summer hunter safety/IBEP camp for kids in which I am the camp director. Another friend of mine won the auction.

Bob lives a few hrs. drive from me, but since I was in the area for a class for work, I made arrangements to pick up the bow. While there, of course we struck up conversation about tradtional archery, and I told Bob about my Wing splitting.

He opened the door to his bow room, and its walls were lined with recurves and longbows from top to bottom. He pulled out a Bear Grizzly, 40@28", and a fistful of arrows and handed it to me. The rest, as we say, is history. Bob sold me that bow ( made me an offer I couldnt refuse), and sent it home with me. Told me I could send him a check when I had the money. THats the kind of guy he is.

As I navigated the learning curve of traditonal archery, Bob would always offer advise and tips to help me along the way. I treasure that bow, and still shoot it.

AS time went on, Bob invited me to turkey hunt on his place, and my sons also. A few years ago Bob was diagnosed with cancer, and his battles have been long and hard. Nearly lost him when he started chemo. Cindy had called me to tell me he wasnt doing well. I hopped in my truck and drove 2 hrs to the hospital, where I gave him my B4K Dream Arrow. These arrows are made for Benefit4Kids, and have raised a lot of money to help terminally ill kids over the years, but the magic is the fact that several people who recieved them have had tremendous turn-arounds in their treatments. I had finally won one in a card blitz, but I gave it to Bob. It worked.

He started doing better,although he was still in a helluva battle. Over the past few years, he has continued to support and fight for what's important to him. But a couple months ago, the doctors took him off the chemo pump. The cancer was winning. Bob is as tough as they come.

A traditional archer, sharing, big hearted, and as good as a friend as a man can be blessed with. Cindy called me today and told me his liver is shutting down, and I need to get over to see him. We live a good ways apart, but I'll be on my way in the morning.

God has blessed me with great friend. All I can say is thank you Bob for all you have done, and thank you Lord for the gift.

Never take for granted those in yor life who are important to you. Tell them how you feel about them before its too late. And have faith that God will guide them along the path home.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thank You To A Great Friend
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 03:08:00 PM »
Not sure what to say in this rough time. I admire you for writing it all down. I wish you and Bob the best in the time to come...
Sounds like you are both better off for meeting. God bless.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline GrnMtnTradNut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 03:20:00 PM »
You have been blessed to have Bob in your life, be strong and carry it on for him through yourself.

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 03:20:00 PM »
Sounds like you both are great people and giving back to the kids! Gonna be a tough drive tomorrow but enjoy the time with your friend, be strong and God Bless!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »
Just lost my older sister, it is a hard time when someone close to you is sick. Ill say a prayer for Bob and you.

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 03:25:00 PM »
Blessings abound, but there is no more obvious evidence of them than the experience of a true connection with a trusted friend.
Wishing you both the solace of Gentle Winds...

Claudia
Pinecone

Online Harmless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 04:13:00 PM »
John, very nice tribute  to your friend. We will keep him and his family in our prayers
Hoots custom, lil Hoot
Blackwidow PSA111
Dwyer Dauntless
and a whole bunch of Bears

>>-Shoot Straight-->

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 04:45:00 PM »
Prayers sent...Thank you for sharing this in a very vulnerable time
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 05:52:00 PM »
prayers sent with friends like that you dont need anything else God Bless you both and may he watch over your best friend Bob
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 05:55:00 PM »
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to pray for Bob and his family, and for you as you travel.

I hope the time you have with him will be filled with the things you both enjoy doing together. Bless you for spending this time with him.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 06:22:00 PM »
I feel for ya buddy , lost my buddy my Dad to cancer couple months ago...my prayers go with you...Mark#78
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »
Bayou, my Dad passed this past November,his birthday is this coming Sunday the 22nd.
The interesting thing is they both are the toughest people I've ever known in my life. Dad battled throat cancer for 5 years. Bob has battled about as long.

When I talked to Bob today, his will to fight is as strong as ever.

Thank you to all for your kind words and prayers for my friend and mentor.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Howard S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 11:38:00 AM »
John,

Al passed on the word about Bob last night.  Prayers are on the way.  Friendships like you describe are rare in a man's life and are to be cherished and remembered as one of life's blessings.

Howard

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing this, John.  Our thoughts and prayers will be with all of you.

I lost a dear friend and hunting partner to cancer many years ago.  I still see, feel and talk with him when hunting our property.  I'm sure Bob will continue to be with you, too.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 02:20:00 PM »
I am very luckey I have 2-3 friends that are near an dear to my heart. I look at these people as gifts from god .I dont think every one has friends like us.I also belive that these people come into our life because of the way we live.I think its natural to attract such folks.nothing last for ever except memories an memories guide us through the rest of our lives.Thats what makes there passing easier for me. because even know they are not there dosent mean we have to forget them.when I go huntin I got a bunch of folks with me. I just carry them in my head. good luck to you an your friend an to your families.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »
Wow great tribute to your friend.I lost my Bud to Liver Cancer at the age of 43. It was strange to me that all his "BUDS" stopped hunting and fishing  with him when he started getting sick. I figured he won't be around for long. I made it my business to share his last couple seasons with him. Many a trip was cut short by the way he was feeling. One of my favorite memories was on his 41st or 42nd birthday. I said " Dave your going in my tree today for your birthday". Well he shot a 5 pointer that day.I often say to myself sitting in my portable stand in the deer woods, "Come On Dave; if your up there watching me push something to me!" At least his last few trips he enjoyed with a hunting and fishing Bud.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 06:18:00 PM »
John,

My prayers are with you and your friend. Funny thing is, I've been a little upset with one of my hunting buddies the last couple of days and haven't talked to him. After reading your story, I think it's time I give him a call. Thanks.

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »
Autumnarcher, as we go through life we have many, many acquaitances, but very few real FRIENDS. It sound slike your buddy bob is one of those friends. We should all thank God that there are considerate and generous guys like him. Our prayers are with Bob and his family, and also with you. Thanks for sharing such a precious friendship.
Sam

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 09:07:00 PM »
Autumnarcher, I've never met you but just wanted to say how happy I am for you that you were able to have someone in your life that meant so much to you.  I wish you speedy and safe travel for your visit with your friend.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
Thanks for the story. Prayers for you and Bob and your families. Never met him but I like folks like that.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©