3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: If you wanted a DIY Mule deer hunt coming from out East what would you do?  (Read 529 times)

Offline allan f

• Trad Bowhunter
So I live out East in Ottawa and was thinking that at some point in the future I would want to do a DIY mule deer hunt, the problem is the lack of mule deer out east.

What are the options guys?  
Drive to one of the Dakotas 2.5 days
Fly to Dakotas or some place else.  But then what if you don't have a vehicle I guess you need an outfitter to take you out and maybe they could do a drop camp but even that is pricey.

What are the other options?  Some advice from those of you have done it would be great.  I just read Mike Mitten's One with the Wilderness and got inspired to get some solo stuff done that I have wanted to do for awhile.

Thanks for the help,
Allan

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
You're already off to a good start by asking questions and looking at the options.  

Driving is nice in that you would have your own vehicle, and other then the additional time involved driving each way is the most economical option.

Outfitted hunts are the easiest because with some phone calls and emails you can research things from a distance and get hooked up with some people that can dramatically improve your chances of success.  But of course, that comes with a price, and like most things in life, you get what you pay for.  Cut rate prices generally are cut rate services and experiences.

The drop camp is a nice middle of the road option.  Less expensive than fully outfitted and guided, yet fairly easy to do from a distance.

Narrow your focus to a specific State that you would like to hunt, and then go from there.  The Dakotas have some great, but lesser known, hunting.  I'll send you a PM with some information on one place I could recommend.

Have fun!  The research and planning is half the fun!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
Pick a state with an OTC tag. Get on their fish and game web site study what info they have on success stastics for specific units. Pick a unit or three find out how much public land is available in each unit. Pick one. Get maps. Load up the gear for an extented camping trip and head out.

John

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
What Whip said

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
Fly to Laramie, I'll point you in the right direction and you can borrow my jeep.  Problem solved!  Heck I might even "guide" you, though I'd be packing my own stick.  :-)
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
Wow, sounds like Elkbreath just made you a good deal.........

Offline allan f

• Trad Bowhunter
Wow now thats an offer I will e-mail you.
Allan

Offline blueslfb

• Trad Bowhunter
Elkbreath why don't you just twist his arm a little harder.  Have fun guys!!!!!

Offline Horner

• Trad Bowhunter
This is what it's all about.  :clapper:  Good for you two.
What would you attempt to do, if you knew you could not fail?

Never leave the one you love, for the one you like.

Offline nurayb

• Trad Bowhunter
Why not hunt Canada?  Alberta and B.C. have great mule deer hunting, and you don't have to pay non-res alien prices.

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by elkbreath:
Fly to Laramie, I'll point you in the right direction and you can borrow my jeep.  Problem solved!  Heck I might even "guide" you, though I'd be packing my own stick.  :-)
Tradgang @ it's best, don't get better than that. outstanding Elkbreath

Offline unclewhit

• Trad Bowhunter
That's too cool, 2 tradgangers about to become hunting buddies for life. It doesn't get any better than that. I hope the plan comes together for you two, and best of luck.
Looking forward to stories and pics.
unclewhit
Bob lee signature series
Schafer Silvertip
Howard Hill "Tembo"

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
IMO they're both fun and worth the time.  

Mulies out here have a couple of unique aspects.  BIG Rugged country to spot and stalk in.   If you're picky, find the right buck, put him to bed than put the sneak on him its VERY rewarding.  Backpackin in a few miles from roads, being patient than putting in a long challenging stalk in difficult terrain, finally closing the deal.  thats fun right there, I don't care who you are.  

Allan, heres one to get you stoked... :-)

Offline allan f

• Trad Bowhunter
Maybe thats the good eating that they were talking about.....That Elkbreath just starts in on them right after they are down.  I suppose it is less to carry back to camp though.   :biglaugh:

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Wyoming is a great state to hunt, lots of game and very nice people as demonstated by elkbreath ! Wyoming has a great fish and game web site at gf.state.wy.us/
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
If it takes you 2.5 days to get to the Dakotas and you're a working man, I think you would save money by flying and renting a vehicle.  Especially if you have to stay in a motel 4 days total to make the trip.  

Hope WY works out.  I guided by Rawlins, Douglas, and Cheyenne and the southern areas have great deer.

Offline stykshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Wow thats a excellent muley Elkbreath.

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
Dave,

Here's a peek at our Mule Deer hunt last September/October.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065693  

Elkbreath,

Awesome buck!  We don't see many like that here.

Offline Colotrad

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Offer a whitetail hunt in trade.  That should get you several offers...
Dave2Old...coming from western Colorado where I didn't see a whitetail until I was over 30, I agree I am now enamored with the whitetails.  However, the giant mature muley buck still holds a special place in my mind.
TGMM Family of the Bow
60" Griffin T/D
56" Shrew C/H T/D
58" Shrew C/H T/D
62” Javaman Assyrian T/D

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
Hey guys, just so you know, that's one of my better friends in the world, not me, with that buck.  Though, that type of buck is relatively prolific in certain places around here.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©