3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how many strands D97 = same nock fit as 14 strand dacron  (Read 341 times)

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
how many strands D97 = same nock fit as 14 strand dacron
« on: March 18, 2009, 07:07:00 PM »
all my nocks fit perfect on the 14 strand dacron served with no.4 brownell nylon serving that i'm using. how many strands of D97 would i need to get the same nock fit with the same serving? thanks
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how many strands D97 = same nock fit as 14 strand dacron
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »
With all due respect ozy may I say that ensuring nock fit with strand count is like squashing bugs in a bench vise because the face is bigger!  :bigsmyl:  
Can I humbly suggest a larger serving material? Also, it is so simple to just lay in the necessary number of strands parallel to the string and serve over that for a perfect fit. You could try double serving too-not my personal fav; but it seems the most popular.  :archer:

Offline Dick4bows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »
Make your string to take the poundage not the nock.  Layer the string in the serving area and serve it.  It may take some experimentation to get the right diameter.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 07:33:00 PM »
i thought that was what everyone would say. i would probably double serve. i have a 10 strand FF string that is double served with no.4 and it fits the same. is D97 the same diameter as FF. i'm thinking of 12 strand D97 for both my 54# and 69# recurve. padded loops
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »
The easiest thing to do is use dental floss at the nock point for a custom fit.  It's quick, easy, and lasts.  Rod Jenkins told me about doing this.  It eliminates the guesswork. Just put a few wraps of dental floss at your nock point until you get the fit you want, tie it off, then put super glue on the floss.

Chad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©