3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: my string silencer  (Read 396 times)

Offline yekrut

• Trad Bowhunter
my string silencer
« on: March 18, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »
My silencer on the top wares out so fast , I am sick of putting money into them. Is there something wrong? I have tried 3 diffrent kinds and they all do it. Any advice thanks!
There are many good moccasin tracks along the trail of a straight arrow: ( fox )

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: my string silencer
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 08:03:00 PM »
What kind is it and where on the string do you have it set?
I dont think I have ever had an issue with whiskers wearing out...
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline yekrut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »
Its is like 2 /12 3 inches??down from the string tip? Just the top one does this. I use mainley rug puffs. Tried others but do not want to spend alot on good ones and have to replace them! How far should they be!!
There are many good moccasin tracks along the trail of a straight arrow: ( fox )

Offline RightTrailWrongTime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »
Measure the length of the string between contact points(tips) divide into quarters or thirds and place them at one or both points. I usually just use the quarter points. Example: 60" bow I measure the length of the string where the last contact is and divide into quarters so lets say its 58"s divide 58 by 4 and you get 14.5- measure 14.5 inches down from the last contact point by the tip and place your silencer of choice there. it's always worked well for me.
ONLY IN THE WOODS AND FIELDS DO I FEEL ALIVE, LIKE A HUNTER FROM TIMES PAST, ALTHOUGH THE HISS OF MY ARROW GOES FORTH, I AM TAKEN BACK, IT IS MY ESCAPE...

Offline RightTrailWrongTime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
I'm sure there are other ways to so this and you can fine tune this by moving each one up or down to find the best spot! Hope this helps
ONLY IN THE WOODS AND FIELDS DO I FEEL ALIVE, LIKE A HUNTER FROM TIMES PAST, ALTHOUGH THE HISS OF MY ARROW GOES FORTH, I AM TAKEN BACK, IT IS MY ESCAPE...

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 09:02:00 PM »
I would follow the advice about the position of the silencers above.
I would also get a pair of regular cat whiskers. Tie them in a knot around your string, and you will be able to position them where you want by simply sliding them up and down the string.
Once you find the "sweet spot", you can replace them with whatever material you prefer.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline yekrut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 11:16:00 PM »
Thanks guys , I 'll give it a try!! Because its gettin expensive to replace them all the time! Parts of the silencer fakk out with each shot , I've noticed so yeah I'll have to try it the way you guys suggested! Thanks.  :)                                                                                             --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------There are many good moccasin tracks along the trail of a straight arrow...

Offline elktalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 11:26:00 PM »
can you still buy the old style cat whiskers (flat)
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 07:33:00 AM »
Originally posted by elktalker:
can you still buy the old style cat whiskers (flat)
The Sports store had a rack of them yesterday... if you need a few sets I can pick 'em up on my way home?  (Save yourself the $5+ shipping)
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 08:16:00 AM »
i dont know if this helps but ive been using the same beaver hais string silencers for 13 yrs and have swapped them out back and forth on 2 different bows and they still work good to me.from a selfbow to a bear k-mag and back.of course the bear sounds a little louder than the other but oh well
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline jcarter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 05:25:00 PM »
I found a video on youtube on how to make your own "puff ball" silencers. It cost me a ball of yarn,  and a hanger....so about $6.00. I have made four silncers for my longbow and recurve and they are awesome...

here is the link....

instead of wax string, i used floss and double tied, worked great!!!
Black Widow PCH 47@28 in
Black Widow PLX 59#@28 in

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 09:18:00 AM »
If you like using cat whiskers, find a fly tyers shop on line or in the local area. Ask for the rubber legs used for poppers or surface bugs. They are made of silicone and last longer then the rubber ones found in bow shops. IMO

Offline Doug A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 10:24:00 AM »
Musk rat works wonders.  I like mine on the 1/4 lengths
Member UBNJ, TANJ

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 11:36:00 AM »
I know of only one thing that would cause this.Your bows not tiller right your top limb is faster than your bottom limb.
  I don't know but if you have hand shock to go along with this that is your problem.
  If your bows not tiller to shoot 3 under and you shoot 3 under
 after a while your bottem limb gets weaker and your top gets faster.Has your bow been shot a great dill.I would say it's defently a tilleing problem.At least with a 2 other selfbows that had that problem.Tillering was the problem
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 01:15:00 PM »
Just get some Hush Puppies from Terry and put them at the 1/4 measurment as suggested and you won't have any more troubles. I have some on my bows that are several years old. They are all I ever use.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©