3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: morrison pics  (Read 2947 times)

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
Re: morrison pics
« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2009, 12:52:00 AM »
Killie, I've got one and got it used. I am definitely possessed of the inferior funding thingy!   :rolleyes:   It's quickly becoming the only bow I pick up now.   :biglaugh:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2009, 01:02:00 AM »
any chance of you sending that bow my way so as i can get a little closer look at it ? i'll send er right back ....  :rolleyes:
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2009, 07:13:00 AM »
Ray, if it's 180fps without the foam/carbon and 184 with it, that's an increase of speed by 2.2% (gots to move the decimal when using % bro).

To put that into perspective, it's often said that 1" of draw = 4-5 fps depending on the bow and 1# of draw weight is often equated to 1fps. So 4fps would be going up 1" in draw length or 4# of draw weight.

If you're into kenetic energy, 640gr@180fps=46 ft/lbs. The same 640gr@184fps= 48 ft/lbs, that's a 4.3% increase in Ek (dat's kenetic energy in physics speak).

If you're into momentum, 640gr@180fps=.511. The same 640gr@184fps= .523, that's a 2.4% increase in P (dat's momentum).

(Dang, I knew I'd use that Georgia Tech larnin one day)

If you're into quiet and perceived smoother draw...well, I have no calculation for quantitative analysis but my cranial computer says the carbon/foam longbow limbs are superior to other models.

I think every feller should shoot what he wants, whateve his justification, and I know my brother Ray feels that same way too.

I know my justification is partially made considering "efficiency" more than it's by-product "speed". While it is "down the list" in my criteria for a bow...it's still on my list!
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2009, 07:33:00 AM »
WOW JC, you Ga. guys are pretty smart. I still don't understand all that jargin you just said cause my Criminal Justice degree never covered it, but it sure sounded good!  :biglaugh:  
Love the bow pics brother!

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: March 25, 2009, 07:41:00 AM »
Mike, I'm not that smart, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night   ;)

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2009, 08:17:00 AM »
JC, just to clarify. It would be an 8 fps increase by adding foam and carbon over the bamboo cores. 4 fps for foam alone and another 4 fps for adding the carbon to the foam. The foam cores add $20 to a new set of limbs but the carbon addition adds $175 over that. It was the carbon addition at 4 fps increase for $175 Ray was questioning.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: March 25, 2009, 08:22:00 AM »
Well heck, $195 for 8 fps is an even better deal than I thought!  :goldtooth:  

It's been so long since I shot bamboo, I'm spoiled now.

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2009, 08:27:00 AM »
If I were buying a brand new set of limbs I would pay the little bit extra and get the carbon/foams.  Not for the speed aspect, but the overall limb.  They're a bit quieter, smoother, and do have a bit of an edge in the performance dept also.

Don't get me wrong, I like the boo limbs just fine as they are as good or better than anything out there IMO!  

When my Morrisons talk, they usually get the last word!
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: March 25, 2009, 08:42:00 AM »
elkherder, I would love nothing better than to brighten your day with a bow on your front doorstep.
But I don't trust the post office.

Killdeer

Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: March 25, 2009, 08:47:00 AM »
No problem Ray, It really doesn't matter how fast a bow will shoot if you can't hit anything. I am finding out I'm a much better shot at 45# than I am at 50# now if I can get 45# to preform like a 50# and also have the same feel and smoothness, I'm getting there. We can all say speed doen't really mean that much, but we still have to get a hunting weight arrow upto speed. 1st enough to get to our target,second enough to actual penetrate our target, and hopefully enough to make a exit hole. And a lot of it does come down to cost and what we want to spend. FF or equal strings cost several $$ more than dacron string,gain of 4-8 fps. cheapest fps you can get, and they get a lot harder to come by after replaceing the string, and more expensive.
I tested a set of longbow limbs with double carbon yesterday against a set with just carbon back, gained 3.9 fps. And the extra strip of carbon was not free, and to probably most not worth the extra $. Some will want it some won't.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: March 25, 2009, 01:36:00 PM »
stayed in a holliday inn express last night'''''haaaaa thats rich...good one    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: March 27, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
Bob,

Can you send an email to me at [email protected] , please.  I have a couple of questions about your used ILF limbs #7260.

Thanks!

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: March 27, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
No pics. but two of my favorites are Cocobola and Osage or Leopardwood and Purpleheart! Shawn
Shawn

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: March 27, 2009, 11:01:00 PM »
Below is a pic of one that is headed my way.  I just have to determine what limbs I'll eventually put on it.  It's the 18" B ILF riser.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline christian

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: March 28, 2009, 03:51:00 PM »
my old morrison T/D riser cocobolo / osage

picts momo T/D

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: March 28, 2009, 05:27:00 PM »
My  Shawnee B riser was Coco Bolo and had the osage center just like Christians bow.It had full pine cones engraved as well.It to looked great with Copperhead skins.The colors were all very complimentary.One of the best looking bows I ever had or have ever seen.My brother has the riser now.

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: March 28, 2009, 05:45:00 PM »
I should of never opened this thread - after reading most of it, I just ordered a set of C recurve foam limbs.  Bob is such a nice guy!!   :rolleyes:
Mel Riley

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: March 28, 2009, 06:25:00 PM »
Mel, I thought you were pledging allegiance to the longbow....  :readit:    :bigsmyl:    :wavey:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: March 28, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »
I said......Did I say that??  :wavey:

Yes, the longbow this spring and summer.   But when it is time to hunt critters, it will be a recurve.
Mel Riley

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: March 28, 2009, 06:44:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©