3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: morrison pics  (Read 2949 times)

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: morrison pics
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2009, 06:03:00 PM »
thanks for all the input fellas.gonna order one here in a couple days.whats the wait time on morrisons ?     :notworthy:
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2009, 10:12:00 PM »
Bob has 6-8 months on his web page but he's a hustler and I bet you'll have it before then. My newest riser was done in a month and now I'm waiting on my limbs.

FYI- Having owned both, I'd recommend the Shawnee. Nothing at all wrong with the Cheyenne but the Shawnee gets a very SLIGHT edge in my book.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2009, 10:47:00 PM »
thanks leatherneck
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Stripstrike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »
Hey Elkherder....the woods in the riser are Curly Koa and Mac Ebony.  I also have the Kudu Horn Overlay and full pinecone on the Riser.  Its almost too pretty to take to the woods.
"I wish someone would have introduced me to this sport 20 years ago."

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2009, 02:12:00 PM »
I heard Bob's not going to carry Maccaser Ebony any longer. Although I'm sure he has other kinds of Ebony.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2009, 08:43:00 PM »
TJ, I believe your correct. Thats why when I ordered my latest I used Gaboon Ebony instead. Glad I did to, it looks great with the Masur Birch.

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »
OK, heres a peek of my latest. Limbs are not done yet but the riser is a Morrison Shawnee, low grip, with Gaboon Ebony and Masur Birch. I love it! The limbs will have Masur Birch veneers on them.  

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
I hate to say this, but 4 fps is just about 3/4 of an inch at 20 yards- quicker. I'm not sure that's significant enough to just say "go for it".

does anyone know about the noise factor, are they equally quiet compared to other limb components? What's the cost difference?
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »
Wow Mike beautiful riser. That birch is amazing looking. Does the ebony have any visible grain pattern at all?
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »

Cheyenne, B riser w/B limbs

Shawnee, A riser w/E limbs

Shawnee, A riser w/E limbs

Swanee, A riser w/E limbs
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »
Oh yeah, Cougar...

"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2009, 10:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ray Hammond:
I hate to say this, but 4 fps is just about 3/4 of an inch at 20 yards- quicker. I'm not sure that's significant enough to just say "go for it".

does anyone know about the noise factor, are they equally quiet compared to other limb components? What's the cost difference?
Ray, Sorry you just got me wondering. I did the calculation. If a bow was shooting 180 fps. and you shot an arrow at 20 yards which is 60 ft. The arrow from this bow would travel that distance in half a second. A 4 fps increase would mean the arrow would be 2 fps faster at half that distance which would be 60 ft or 20 yards. So that equates to 2 feet more distance in that half a second not 3/4 of an inch. That's actually pretty big by just changing limb core material.
www.zipperbows.com

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2009, 12:13:00 AM »
Ray the Carbon and foam Dakota limbs are very very quiet shooting.Quieter than the bamboo in my experience.The bamboo limbs are quiet shooting but not as quiet.The carbon and foam limbs are real smooth shooting and I notice no handshock at all.  

I have not comapared the recurve limbs with foam against the bamboo curve limbs.I have never had the foam cored curve limbs.I would assume they are quiet shooting from my experience with the Dakota limbs.

The foam cored limbs and the Bamboo are about the same price,20$s difference.Add the carbon and the cost is about 130$ more than foam and glass limbs and 150$ more than the bamboo and glass limbs.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2009, 07:50:00 AM »
I currently shoot the recurve limbs with the foam cores in them. They are (IMO) much quieter then the boo limbs. I don't even need silencers on the string. I put beaver puffs on for looks. I've never had any shock in my old Morrisons so these are no different. The 20.00 extra dollars was well worth it in my eyes. never used the carbon so I have no comment on it.

Bow-Have seen that Cougar before and it's one of my favorite wood combinations.

Mike

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2009, 07:59:00 AM »
I have boo cores in my Cheyenne recurve limbs. I just picked up some foam cores that will arrive early next week. Although the foam core limbs are three pounds lighter, I'll know the differences soon enough.

What's not known on these foam core limbs is over time will they keep their performance or lose some like a wood core does. Do you or don't you keep them strung all the time like I do my boo cored limbs? No one knows the answers to these questions yet.
www.zipperbows.com

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »
Ray, I don't know about his recent opinion but the last I talked to Bob about the recurve limbs he had concerns the benefit of the carbon would be worth it. I know for sure that is not the case with the longbow limbs as the carbon/foam option there is definately worth the money in my opinion. Not only are they faster, they feel smoother and are definately quieter in my opinion.

TJ, all of my Morrisons, whether longbow or recurve remain strung unless they are taken down for travel. I don't think it's anything at all to worry about.

Wood combos I've had/have:

Chase's Bocote/midnight dymondwood Shawnee

My Macassar/Bocote Cheyenne

My Macassar/Osage Cheyenne

My Zebrawood/midnight dymondwood Shawnee

My phenolic ILF dipped in Predator Green

I've had a few more but can't find any good pics of those.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2009, 09:05:00 AM »
Bob found a new source for carbon that took his concerns away for using it on his recurve limbs and he did gain around 4fps with it he told me. If the extra cost is worth it for 4fps is up to the buyer to decide. I do know I want one of his 14" aluminum ILF risers as soon as they become available.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2009, 09:13:00 AM »
It seems some of us are chasing the speed factor just like wheelbow shooters. 4fps....?
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2009, 09:22:00 AM »
Snag, not fps for me, just more energy. I have found I tend to shoot best around the 180-185fps mark. With my carbon/foam dakota limbs that's a fairly heavy arrow, even at my short draw.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2009, 11:38:00 AM »
Its about choice......If your not interested in gaining 4 fps don't spend the extra money. If you want it it is available. We have had to stop using some of the Ebonies ( Macasser, Philippine and now Mun) I can not find any that has been kiln dried in 8/4. So we are using Gaboon Ebony inplace of them.... As I was saying, its about choice. I can give you foam and carbon if you want it, some ebony I can't and I will not use anything  over 8-9% moisture. I will have a bunch of Macasser Ebony in about a year, when it comes out of the kiln.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©