3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Looking for a long bow for my 5 yr old little girl  (Read 400 times)

Offline Three Finger

• Trad Bowhunter
Looking for a long bow for my 5 yr old little girl
« on: March 19, 2009, 10:18:00 AM »
Are there any boyer's out there that make small long bows for kids. She would only pull 12-15 lbs. Just looking for something other than a fiberglass bow. Any prices would be nice to. Thanks for the Help.
      Jeff
US Army AIRBORNE 95-98
Woodland Hunter 58"48#@28
Hoyt Dorado 55#@28

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Looking for a long bow for my 5 yr old little girl
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 10:33:00 AM »
Maddog Archery is a sponsor here and makes an excellent bow for her. My son has been shooting one since he was three and a Crimson Mist(member here) bow before that.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline doeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 01:12:00 PM »
Three finger,

Search under the Bowyers forum and research making a kids bow. its easy to do with minimal skills/ability and IMHO it feels better to make something for your little girl. A personal pride thing for me. Just my 2 cents. i just got done with one for my 2 year old son and he loves it, he drags it along behind him while dad and his uncle chris shot. P.M. me or e-mail and i'll send you some specs on how to do it.

Offline FubarFred

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 01:13:00 PM »
Three finger, the Baltimore Bowman trad shoot is coming up and there is usually a bowyer or two with little folks size bows. This link will get you there.   http://www.ancestralknowledge.org/baltimore_bowmen.html  
After April, I might have one I can trade you, sell you, or maybe just pass to you with the stipulation it will go to some one else when you are finished. You can pm me for any other info.
Fred....
TGMM Family of the Bow
Traditional Bowhunters of MD
MD Bowhunters Society
Bowhunters of South Carolina
UDT/SEAL Association

Offline FubarFred

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
Just realized this is a more better link.
Fred
 http://www.baltimorebowmen.com/trad.htm
TGMM Family of the Bow
Traditional Bowhunters of MD
MD Bowhunters Society
Bowhunters of South Carolina
UDT/SEAL Association

Offline TradDad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 01:33:00 PM »
:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
for Maddog

http://www.maddogarchery.com/
But his bow abode in strength, and the arms of his hands were made strong by the hands of the mighty God of Jacob;(from thence is the shepherd, the stone of Israel:) -Genesis 49:24

Offline Diamondback59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 01:36:00 PM »
jeff send me a pm  i got one she can  have  made my lil 4 year old grandaughter one also ill send ya some pic s  if ya get me a e mail  and it s osage  brock
yep im a bowaholic,, elkaholic !!!

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 02:05:00 PM »
Here are a couple of pics of one of four bows I'm working on right now.

Made of one 48" piece of red oak measureing 1.5" wide and about 3/16th thick ($2.20) with the handle glued up from one piece of poplar the same size but about 18 inches long ($0.88).  This one is backed with rawhide, but one of the others backed with paper bag and wood glue is much easier to apply and just as effective.  Limbs are cut to "pyramid" shape with the tips being about 3/16th wide.  By cutting to pyramid there is no other tillering involved.  Time (except for drying glue) is about 1.5 to 2 hours per bow.

For a five year old it should draw about 10# depending on her size.  Bow will grow with her!  I drew this one back to 25" on a tillering stick and it was not overdrawn.

I have six grandkids so these are meant to be around the house for them to use when they visit.

So, that's a inexpensive DIY solution and the kids like to participate in the building part.  Nothing like "made by dad".
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »
I would offer up Maddog.  I have 2 Maddog bows and love them.  Can't beat the quality for the price.    www.tradstore.com/mta
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline David Atkinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 03:32:00 PM »
I have 2 girls and they both have Black Rhinos .http://www.bows.net/products.htm

Offline longbow55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »
Any of the above or Elk ridge bows, can buy them through 3 rivers archery. I got 2 of them, they been run over buy 4-wheelers, drug throught mud, thrown down and they still shoot just fine.
I always hit where I'm aiming, but rarely where I'm looking.

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 04:41:00 PM »
My son has a Black Rhino that he shoots very well.  I'm going to be buying my little 3 yr. old daughter a bow pretty soon and I'm going to go with one of the Maddog bows.  I really want to help support our sponsors when possible as they help make this great site possible.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 05:02:00 PM »
Tim Meigs makes a really nice small long bow for younger shooters. 775-246-3633 He does a really good job for the younger shooter as well as the experienced shooters. Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 05:19:00 PM »
Another vote for Maddog archery!  Not only is Mike a great guy that makes a super bow, but he is also a sponsor here!

Offline pointystick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 05:28:00 PM »
Craig at Howard Hill offer the Bear Cub longbow, which is a miniaturized version of the full-sized Hill style bow. It can be made to the specs of any of his full-sizers, just shrunk down for a kid. Price is around $250 or so shipped (IIRC).   :thumbsup:

Offline Three Finger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 05:48:00 PM »
Thanks for all the info. Looks like I have plenty of bows to choose from. I really appreciate all of your help. I am new here and it sure make a guy feel good when you have this many people willing to help out.
     Thanks
     Jeff
US Army AIRBORNE 95-98
Woodland Hunter 58"48#@28
Hoyt Dorado 55#@28

Offline john fletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 06:03:00 PM »
pm sent
Instructor BSA NCS certified

Offline Bob Sarrels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 10:37:00 PM »
I build a small bow for the kiddos called the Little Newt.  15 to 17 lbs.  This is a glass laminated bow that will last them until they are ready to move up.  You can see it on my site.  sarrelsarchry.com
Now then, get your weapons ~ your quiver and bow ~ and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27.3

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »
I know that you said you are looking for a longbow but don't forget recurves too. Martin makes a very nice kids bow called the Protogy. I bought one for my son when he was 5. It is 15#. This is a good looking bow made of wood and black glass. My son shot it for a few years. When he out grew it I bought him an Elk River longbow. This is another nice looking bow. I bought the Elk River from the boyer at a traditional bow shoot. He is still shooting this bow and he is now going on 12 this May.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 07:51:00 AM »
Another maddgog fan, fantastic youth bow, up to big kids..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©