3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: good enough to hunt?  (Read 607 times)

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
good enough to hunt?
« on: March 19, 2009, 06:39:00 PM »
was wondering what system you folks used to determine when your shooting ablities where good enough to go out hunting with your trad setup.  Im thinking when i can put arrows in a paper plate consistently i would be good to go limiting my shots to 20 yards and in. thoughts?

Offline grouseshooter002

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: good enough to hunt?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 06:58:00 PM »
Bowmaster12,
           I'm deliberately going to chastise you so you will rethink your thread. First, you will never be "good enough" with that assumption. Second, a paper plate at 20 yds. is a damn big target. Put a black dot in the middle of that paper plate and concentrate on that. When you can consistently put your first arrow in that dot or close to it than you are getting there. Also tape a message on the face of your bow above the arrow shelf which should read "Pick a Spot". Now go out there and "kill" that spot.

Rick

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 07:20:00 PM »
papper plate @ 20 is ok keep your shots close but try that is the only way you will know ,, I know some fine target shots that cannot seem to seal the deal when hunting some hunt for years just to get a chance so try whats the worst you could do  good luck!
Gord

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »
i undrstend picking a spot ive been hunting my whole life aim small miss small i get it my question is this is my first year shooting a trad bow and if you folks had a way of gauging when your shoot ability is good enough to hunt my thinking with being able to keep arrows within a paper plate was lungs of a deer roughly that size  id idnt mean i was amining for an area that large. I have heard of peopel shooting for years before they went hunting just looking for a mesuring stick thanx

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 07:29:00 PM »
Well if you can hit a deer at 3ft and you want to hunt you are ready.

The real answer is if you will pass on a 4ft shot because you know it is too far or not.The mark of a good bowhunter is not the shots he makes.It is those he passes on instead of hopeing to make shots he knows he is not ready for. jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 07:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by James Wrenn:
Well if you can hit a deer at 3ft and you want to hunt you are ready.

The real answer is if you will pass on a 4ft shot because you know it is too far or not.The mark of a good bowhunter is not the shots he makes.It is those he passes on instead of hopeing to make shots he knows he is not ready for. jmo
Well said  :clapper:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 07:40:00 PM »
I agree James. I think the best I ever heard it put was on a wensel brothers dvd. a target archer tries to get as far away and hit the target. A bowhunter tries to get as close as he can and not miss. this is from the "Spirit of the Bow" dvd. A must see if you like to shoot and have a good time. DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Broken Arrow 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 07:45:00 PM »
Very well said James!  :clapper:
Its not the size of the animal you hunt that matters. Its how you hunt the animal.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 08:16:00 PM »
James is right on target. Many years ago I read an article about your question... In a nutshell it said, "If you can hit a deer in the heart at five yards then go hunting! Just don't shoot over five yards." The art of bow hunting is in getting close. Real Close! So, get out there and hunt. Know your limits. Enjoy Gods gift of life.

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 08:18:00 PM »
Another for what James has stated!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »
Really depends what you are hunting.  On an elk, that should be a killing shot.  I think you could lay that paper plate over the vitals and be confident that a shot into that paper plate would kill an elk.

Heres the problem.

Backyard accuracy benchmarks never improve when you throw in unfamiliar distances, angles, obstacles, animal responses, adrenaline, etc.  Hold yourself to a much stricter standard than a paper plate if you are trying to determine a max range.  

What is really funny is that for so many instinctive shooters around, we sure hear a lot about specific yardages and limits.  I personally believe that this sounds nicer than what actually happens.  Unless we run around with a rangefinder or hunt extremely familar ground we really won't know the elk is 25 yards instead of our "max" 21 yards as we peer at open vitals through thick brush.  Hunting is an art that requires that we aquire a feel for our field accuracy.  In the end we go with our gut.  All of us pass on shots because they don't feel right.

Here is my answer to your original question.  Take the size of the vitals of the animal you intend to kill, divide it by two or three and set that as your goal at any distance.  If the animal has vitals of say 12", then your backyard shooting should be at a 4-6" target.  

As you learn your effective range, pay special attention to, and be honest with yourself about your first shot of a session and the one shot accuracy you get when stumpshooting.  Generally this is quite revealing.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »
Some good answers here.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 09:37:00 PM »
Yeah for me the hardest thing is just getting close enough to even pic a spot! LOL!  20 is a fairly long bow shot for most. Lots of time for game to jump the string even on a perfect shot.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Boone the Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 10:15:00 PM »
i've been bowhunting since i opened my eyes, last year was my first year with a recurve, i started in the spring and shot almost every day till october. When hunting season rolled around i was confident of my shooting out to 20 yards but still shot all my deer at 5-15 yards, that way i really knew i would slam them so i guess it all depends on what shot you're comfortable with in any given situation, funny enough i missed a deer at 15 yards not because i couldn't make the shot, but because i couldn't keep my crap together, so that's hunting, have fun
Love the Lord, love your wife and kids, work hard, hunt harder

Offline IronCreekArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 10:28:00 PM »
Well stated oxnam...go with that gauge on your abilites and you can't go wrong.
We do not rise to the occasion.  We fall to our level of training.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 11:06:00 PM »
I liked Oxam's answer too.I always figured whatever my groups were on the range,under hunting conditions and pressure,excitement etc.,the groups would be double in size if I were lucky.I also don't like to shoot to much at circles and dots as they are easy to focus on and when you get on big game,you are looking at a large brown area and again-under stress.          I like to shoot at solid large objects like a cardboard rectangle or one of burlap,and pick a spot.Even then,your mind cheats a little by focusing on the preceeding arrow or holes in the target.A 3D target would be good too.A month or 2 before season I like to vary positions,shot angles and distances.                             Fred Bear claimed that if you wanted to know how you would shoot in a hunting situation,shoot ten days in a row and record only your first,"cold" shot of each day's session.This would be your group.Some food for thought.

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 11:20:00 PM »
I like shooting 3D courses to get ready for hunting. I dont shoot at the stakes and only shoot when I am confortable with the shot. I think that will let you know your comfort distance for a clean kill. Mine is 15 to 20 yards, depending on the terrain.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 12:29:00 AM »
What James Wrenn said, and oxnam too.......I pass on a lot of shots, if it is just 'not there'.
My freezer is pretty full all the time, and I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 01:19:00 AM »
Never take a shot that has any Doubt.No maybes or hail Marys. Only " I know I`m gonna kill it shots" and you`ll do good. How far for me has little to do with it and groups in the yard don`t matter. When I know I can kill a critter I shoot. Might be really close today and a little farther tomorrow but I`m confident I`ll make a killing shot or I don`t shoot.Never have to think on it I just no "when".

I believe its all about confidence. If shooting plates in the yard builds that for you by all means do it but don`t think shooting at an animal will be the same.If you practice so much that ALL of your focus is on the target and zero focus is on your anchor,grip and follow up and anything else other than the spot you want to hit...your ready.RC

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 01:42:00 AM »
thanx guys great advice i also agree with my years of hunting with the "high tech" its the shots that you dont take that are really the ones that count. i have only shot a hand full of deer that have been over 15 yards it sound slike 20 yards seems to be must shooters comfort zone.  I appreciate everyones advice and opinions.  really like the idea of only tracking your first shot of the session.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©