3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How tuff are turkeys?  (Read 928 times)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How tuff are turkeys?
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
A well hit turkey is not gonna die any slower than anything else if hit in the vitals....Hit'um right and they hardly go anywhere and die in seconds....

But the margin of error is very,very small...

A well hit turkey, as Joey said, will bleed just like other critters, they do have a lot of feathers that will soak some up, but blood will hit the ground if something major is cut....

Again, like Joey said,breast meat(muscle)hit birds are horrendous to track and find....

I agree with Joey too about shooting your most accurate BH...BUT...there's no reason, with proper tuning, that it can't be a big multi blade head with a string tracker attached....

You mentioned a 150 WW or a 4bl Stinger and a string tracker...good medicine    :thumbsup:
I like'um even bigger and prefer a big 160 Snuffer....

Joey, I still don't buy the doubling the strength by shooting thru them    :goldtooth:

That single strand running thru the bird rubbing on bone and quills is still only 17#...and a single strand can still break rubbing against treebark or something else even though there might be another strand right next to it....   ;)  

The biggest thing on shot placement is to keep you shots in the upper third of the body....totally different than what we're used to shooting on mammals(lower third).

High they die, low they go!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »
On a broadside bird, keep it behind the wingbutt just in front of the thighs, upper 1/3 and you'll be right dead center vitals....
Curt } >>--->   

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
Sorry Curt, i have never been able to convince you that double line is stronger than one so just pick up your bow scale and tie one end to bow scal and one end to wooden dowel and pull.Single strand 30# will break between 20-30#..now take same bow scale and wrap 30# around wooden handle half dozen times and thread through bow scale end and back to wooden handle..now pull apart.. 30# test will break roughly between 45# and 60#.....The reason behind this is simple string stretch. A turkey running through the woods that is shot through has 2 lines to stretch than 1 if not shot through. Thats where it is twice as strong a system when you have 2 lines to anchor. A sharp bone will cut a 17# almost as quick as a 30#...they are almost the same diameter...try it!  :goldtooth:
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline sethdiggs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »
This doesn't really have to do with the toughness of a turkey, but which string trackers do you guys use and what store/website do you get them from?
Damon Howatt Coronado 60" 45#@28

Offline CallMaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »
Gametracker 2500

Google it for vendors
Ed Blankinship

Physically Challenged Bowhunters of America
                     http://www.pcba-inc.org/

Offline Curtis Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2009, 11:06:00 PM »
Do any traditional guys shoot the Guillotine Heads or the Magnus Bullheads.  I figured it was designed for the training wheel guys because they have the speed to stabalize those big blades?
LH Chek-Mate T/D Hunter 41# @ 28in.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2009, 12:28:00 AM »
does anyone have some pics of Turkeys showing vitals and correct shot placement? thanks
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2009, 01:33:00 AM »
I ain`t the Turkey slayer that JoeBuck and Guru are but I have killed a few and here is my opinion. I shoot BIG heads.I`ve used Simmons with the bleeder as well as Magnus I heads without a bleeder. The last bird I killed I used a Muzzy Phantom with bleeders . I`ve only shot through one bird using a zwickey eskimo 4 blade . I hit him in the breast and he is the only bird I`ve lost.I plan on using Simmons tree sharks and Big Snuffers this year.

I shoot for the "hips" on Turkeys and have never lost a bird since I started doing that. I once got a bird I hit too low and broke both his leggs. He did`nt fly or run.As far as blood trails I never had one go out of sight except the one I lost and he flew across the river.

Personaly I would shoot a bigger head then the stinger. I`m sure it would work but I know a big Tree shark or Snuffer or phantom would work better.

I`m willing to bet if there was a way to know that more Turkeys taken with a bow were not hit in the "vitals" like lungs or heart but were "broken" down and actually killed after the shot.Might be wrong.Bigger head means more stuff tore up .RC

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2009, 05:14:00 AM »
Aw heck guys.....it's only a bird......
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2009, 06:45:00 AM »
Yeah, Biggie, but it's the coolest bird there is    :thumbsup:

Go ahead and admit you love hunting them every year too    :pray:  

How's the huntin' goin'?
Curt } >>--->   

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »
Hopefully I can catch some weather this weekend and go. Our peak gobbling is 2-3 weeks away. Our woods right now are full of spring break teenagers "running and gunning"...i have been laying low  :scared:
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2009, 09:29:00 AM »
Well......I Guess this will be Year 2 of "Turkey-Chasin'". I  heard  one,  Once . Then they just faded away  :banghead:  .......My "Turkey Knowledge"  IS  increasing by the Month,Good Luck To  ALL  who hunt that Wiley Bird!!  :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2009, 10:09:00 AM »
I've killed 7 gogglers with 2 blands 2 with flint tips.All with selfbows so your 2 bladed heads will work if sharp.They have a much smaller kill zone than other animals.
   Remember indains killed them for 10,000 years with 2 bladed flint tips.

DEAD is DEAD no matter how fast your arrow gets there.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2009, 10:24:00 AM »
Here are some shot placement guides I've shared with a lot of other archery turkey hunters. It helps give you a better perspective on where the vitals are.

PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Life Member, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2009, 10:42:00 AM »
Wow thanks guys.  Those pictures are really helpful and really do change your perspective on turkey vitals.  All this great advice from all these great people,  :thumbsup:    :archer:

Offline Curtis Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
So Guru was saying he shoots big broadheads, so would you be able to shoot the Guillotine and still have good arrow flight?
LH Chek-Mate T/D Hunter 41# @ 28in.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2009, 12:18:00 PM »
Curtis, If you're asking me....I have no idea. Never tried them. There's a huge difference between a 160 Snuffer and a GG...

If I was going to try a decapitation type head it would be a Magnus Bullhead. I know "Steve O" from TG tried them last year and found them to tune and fly very well at turkey killin' range.....
Curt } >>--->   

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2009, 12:38:00 PM »
Lota of good info here & just in time for the Season......
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline Steve Leffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »
Guru or Joey, where do you guys get the 30lb line?  I can't find it anywhere. I have shot a few birds with the 17lb line and luckily haven't had the line break on me yet but would use the 30 if I could find it.

Offline Big_Al

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2009, 03:24:00 PM »
I've got an idea - using my AMS Retriever with 400# test gator line and a fish arrow, using a Sting-a-ree head that you can put field points in, and using a Razorcap broadhead on the front of the Sting-a-ree in place of a field point.  What do ya think?  I think that's the set-up for killing shots on gators.....
"And that, my friends, is the minority vote."  -Bill the Butcher

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©