3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How wide point range when tuning?  (Read 290 times)

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
How wide point range when tuning?
« on: March 19, 2009, 08:41:00 PM »
Yet another tuning question, thanks for the patience and help.

I have been tuning some grizzly stiks.  I have the bare shafts hitting with tuned fletched aluminum arrows. as well as a fletched grizzly  with tips at 175 and 200 grains. The fletched grizzly likes the 200 a little better.  The non- fletched swing the nock end to the left a little bit before hitting the target.  The angle is almost the same for any non-fletched arrow (I am shooting non-fletched alums at the same time to make sure I am being consitant). Is this an extremely wide range or is a 25 grain spread sound right. 250 grain tips send the bare arrow right, though the fletched arrow loves 250 gr.. By the way there is little difference between 125 and 145 tips on the bare alums.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline IronCreekArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How wide point range when tuning?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 10:34:00 PM »
Assuming you are right handed the left kick means the shaft is weak and the right kick means to stiff...if you are left handed reverse this.  This weekend I tuned some Easton N-Fused carbon arrows and my bare shafts shot 200 grain and 250 grains heads identically.  Other than that I don't know what else to share with you...I will be keeping an eye on this thread though.
We do not rise to the occasion.  We fall to our level of training.

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 11:01:00 PM »
If 1000 grains makes a difference then 1 grain makes a difference..Back up and you won't "see" such a large spread. The "kick", best to not try to fix it. It's more likely you and trying to fix it will result in over spined shafts......O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 08:04:00 AM »
I will try to back up some more (still shooting inside due to snow outside).  With the heavy arrow and heavy tips they really start to drop. But I assume if they are on the center line, just low, I will be getting a good result.  Also 175 and 200 are my two options for weight, as those are the field tips I have available.  I am still trying to figure out how I am going to tune broadheads without spending hundreds of dollars to get the right weight.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 10:25:00 AM »
The better job you do with the bare shafts the closer you'll be with your BH's so it'll save you $$$....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 10:34:00 AM »
In my experience it usually takes about 25 grains increase in point weight to require a stiffer or shorter shaft.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 10:41:00 AM »
Like OL says the farther back you go the more impact even a slight change will show.Feathers correct a lot so weaker shafts will shoot fine once fletched as long as you are not too far off.The difference in a 125 and a 145 can show 18" to 2ft with bareshafts at 50yds.You will see nothing at all at 10 or 15.Just depends on how far you want to carry your tuning.jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 11:08:00 AM »
At 50 yards it might be hard to tell, I think my group might open up a bit   :biglaugh: .  At 20-25 the 125 and 145 alums are in the 9 or 10 ring with the rest of the arrows.  The Grizzly stiks are right in there or an inch or two to the right(maybe a few inches down).  I would be surprised if they are weak as they are (I believe the mis-marked woodies 500s, which according to bowhuntingstuff are spined for 60-70# bows and I am shooting 52#). 250 gr. shoots several 6-10 inches to the right.  145 gr. shoots to the left.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©