3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First time feather prep questions  (Read 252 times)

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
First time feather prep questions
« on: March 19, 2009, 08:47:00 PM »
I split the shafts on my right wing turkey primaries.  
1st: What is the min. width to get good glue adhesion.  I am trying to figure if I can get two fletches out of the longer primaries?

2nd: Advantages to using only primary feather, or do secondary feathers make just as good fletching?

3rd: If I use four inch fletching (shield cut) is the fletching the same height and just angles down earlier, or is also slightly shorter?
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline short slugger

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First time feather prep questions
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 09:42:00 PM »
Good day! On a min. width of quill, I just grind them to slightly wider than the feather base. I have heard of, and tried, to peel the feather away from the base of the quill, to have a semi-clear membrane with the feather attached. But never did have much luck. Two feathers of 4 inches or less is doable from a single primary. Never could get two 5 inchers. In my opinion, Secondary feathers are only good for flu-flu's or practice arrows...I always get too much flutter and a great deal of noise in flight. I am experimenting with shorter profile and shorter lengths. I only use 4" or less shield cut, 2-fletch. It adds about 4 fps chronographed going to 2-4" from 2-5". And by going from 3-5" to 3-4" added 4 fps.  2-fletch fits better in a quiver, more economical, quieter, faster...just tune your bow well, and you will find 2-fletch a real option.
Tony!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©