3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cresting Lines "Run"  (Read 313 times)

Offline Mark-R

• Trad Bowhunter
Cresting Lines "Run"
« on: March 20, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »
I mask my arrows at 9" and spray a white crest.  Then mask and spray a red band.  Then mask and spray a black band inside the red band.  This gives me a white crest with a red/black/red band in front of the feathers.  This is done with Rustoleum enamel.

Then, to "hide" the masking lines I do thin lines of silver to seperate the red/black/red.  This is with Testors enamel model paint.

Finally I protect it with Rustoleum clear enamel.  Each color is done on different days to allow for complete drying.  However, the clear enamel makes the silver lines "run".  Any ideas on what I can do/use to not have the silver lines run?

Thanks,
Mark

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cresting Lines "Run"
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »
I think the testors is dissolving with because of the oil-based top coat. I use water-based for the cresting over Rustoleum crown and don't have this problem.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Andrew Wesley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 12:27:00 PM »
the only thing i can think of is that there could be a difference between the testors enamel and the rustoleum which is making it run.
~Andrew Wesley

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 12:29:00 PM »
I do all of my cresting lines with the Testors paints and then coat them with 2 or 3 coats of water based poly before a final dip in clear.  Make sure to let things dry well in between and your problem will be solved.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 01:13:00 PM »
I think drying is one thing but cureing is another. when you allow the testors to cure it should not act this way .cure of course meaning dry longer it may take 2-3 days.

Offline Mark-R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »
Sounds like I may have better luck with a water based protective coat.  Not sure what Rustoleum clear enamel is, but I'll find out and try a water based protector.

I have a "test" shaft that I practice on and I did notice a small difference in 24 and 36 hour drying times on the silver Testors.  I'm in no hurry so I'll give it 3 days min. with the silver and see how that works also.

Thanks for the help,
Mark

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »
yep, the silver is "eating" the Rustoleum.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 01:53:00 PM »
Mark,

Are you sure that the Rustoleum clear coat is enamel based?  Enamels, if I'm not mistaken are petroleum based, so you shouldn't have a problem with covering the Testors which is also petroleum based.  Now if your clear coat is lacquer base then you will have a problem if not done carefully.  Lacquers are "hot" and will eat into petroleum based paints.

I use pretty much the same proceedure as you described.  However, I use Krylon Fusion spray paint.  Then after cresting with the Testors I spray a VERY fine mist of Krylon clear lacquer over it all.  It is important that the first coat of clear be sprayed on very lightly so as not to make the Testors cresting lines run.  That first fine coat will set everything and then you can go back over it with a normal final coat of clear.

One other thing, it's important to keep your Testors cresting lines pretty thin.  By that I mean keeping the paint thin.  Thick paint will run much easier than thin.

This is what works for me.  You might want to give it a try.  Good luck!

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »
Same as Whip here.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »
I've been using Watco spray lacquer over my cresting.  Seals it in with a couple of quick coats.  Haven't had any compatability issues and no smearing or burning in targets. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©