3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elevated rests are AWESOME...  (Read 788 times)

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Elevated rests are AWESOME...
« on: March 20, 2009, 07:02:00 PM »
I just picked up a Bob Lee Dark Archer for turkey hunting.  It came stock with a leather and velcro rest and side plate.  I haven't had a lot of time lately so I grabbed the arrows that shoot good out of my 51-55# bows (the DA is 54#).  Everything shot crummy   :(  .  Couldn't shoot a bare shaft straight and broadheads were out of the question.

I figured it must be me.  I'm not used to the short length, bad form, tired, ect.

Today, I peeled off the stock rest,slapped on a Bear Weatherest, and adjusted the nock point.

Voila!

Everything was shooting excellent.  Broadheads flying perfect.  I've always known I get better arrow flight using an elevated rest, but this was so dramatic, it shocked me.

Try it, you might like it...

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elevated rests are AWESOME...
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 07:41:00 PM »
I was having some of the same issues with a Martin Mamba a while back. I did the same thing, slapped on a Bear Weatherest and flight issues went completely away. It's great when you can shoot off the shelf but nothing beats an elevated rest. I always keep one around for those unruly bows.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »
Steve;
 Paul taught me about elevated rests and plastic vanes 24 years ago. I get awesome arrow flight with that combo. Good luck with it!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
is it the elevated rest or the fact that the rest pulled your "center cut" riser out a bit, making it more amenable to the shafts you are shooting ?
either way  if it works......
ChuckC

Offline GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 09:53:00 AM »
Do you guys have any problems putting a rest on a bow that was tillered to shootoff the shelf? Some bowyers ask and others say it doesn't matter. The same applies to 3 under and split finger. Are there any tuning issues that come up when you make theese changes? Sergio, I remember in the early eighties he gave me a phone number in Mt. and told me to tell them I wanted arrows like Paul Schaefer, I think they were swaged 2317's four fletched with vanes at 75 and 105, Does that sound right? I can't remember for sure. You could shoot any broadhead you wanted as long as it was a two bladed eskimo.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 10:02:00 AM »
Elevated rests have been around for many, many years and back in the 50's it was rare to see a bow that did not have one. I am pleased to see them being rediscovered as they do improve arrow flight and accuracy more than most are aware of. The late great Paul Schaefer used one all the time....as well as plastic vanes.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 10:40:00 AM »
My Silvertips all have elevated rests on them; I figured Schafer knew what he was doing...Dave has his bows set up this way as well.  I just never took a bow I was shooting off the shelf and changed it out to a rest like yesterday.  It was DRAMATIC.  As far as it pushing out center shot, I don't think that was it; the problems were more a nock high issue than a spine issue looking at paper tears.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 10:43:00 AM »
Greg,

I don't see how the 1/4" the rest puts the arrow above the shelf is going to do anything with the tiller.  

And while I'm at it, another thing that I don't get is how that 1/4" becomes 4" sybolized by the upraised thumb in all the Asbell articles showing how shooting off the shelf is the only way to shoot instinctively...

Offline GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 11:16:00 AM »
Steve, I don't understand it either, I was wondering why some bowyers ask you when you order the bow. I may be wrong in assuming they tillered the bow differently, I don't know why else it would matter. I'll have to give it a try.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 12:37:00 PM »
Tiller is not affected.  Folks shot elevated rests  forty years ago without issues, even three fingers under and string walking.   Most of these rumors come from people who really don't know much about shooting in general, or don't know archery history too well.

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 12:57:00 PM »
You got a 4" thumb?  Holy cow   :biglaugh:

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »
On a serious note, what are you setting your nock point at when shooting off a rest?  I would think by moving your fingers up the string (even if only 1/4") it would have to affect the tiller slightly.  I do believe it is a small enough amount that you could compensate by adjusting nock height.  

What I'm saying is that my bows are setup with a nockset at 5/8" above the shelf, if I put a rest on I'm likely not going to be 5/8" above the rest.  Probably from a combination of tiller and clearance?  Am I correct in assuming this?  I know it is splitting hairs, just something that piqued my curiousity.  I have owned a few bows that I could not get the nock high out of, these would be likely candidates for a rest.  Thanks...Mike

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 05:30:00 PM »
I made the mistake of falling in love with the elevated rest once.  When the %^&* thing falls off yer bow when you are on a solo backpack hunt, make sure you've got extras!

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 06:29:00 PM »
Duckbutt....why would you go on a solo bacpack hunt without an extra rest?   That was pilot error my friend 8^).  Half a dozen Hoyt stick on rests don't even weigh an ounce....been using them for over forty years.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 07:17:00 PM »
who canI get a stick on rest from? I darn curious to try one now.
Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2009, 07:21:00 PM »
3 Rivers has them.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2009, 07:23:00 PM »
I like em , but if ya shoot 3d, most shoots dont allow them down south.
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2009, 07:35:00 PM »
I know a lot of guys shoot them with their Silvertips but I shoot my tip off the shelf and arrows have perfect flight.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2009, 09:21:00 AM »
I have used the bear weather rests for years on my recurves. I cut the bottom so it sits a tad lower to the shelf. Clean the bow with alcohol and I also use 3m exterior 2 face mounting tape. I cover the whole thing with mole skin. With that setup I can shoot feathers or vanes.
In 30 years I have never had one fall off.
SL

Offline GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
SL, Your set up sounds a lot like the set up Barry Wensel showed in masters of the bare bow 2. Are you shooting 3 vanes or four? Can you shoot vanes with the same nocking point as feathers?  Thanks  Greg

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©