3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bitzenberger Helical Setup?  (Read 143 times)

Offline Curtis Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
Bitzenberger Helical Setup?
« on: March 21, 2009, 01:21:00 PM »
Just wondering how you guys set up your Bitz when putting on helical.  I set it so it is straight then move the front part as much as I can to get as much helical as I can but still have even quill contact all the way through the feather.  I was also wondering if it is okay to move the back part out to get even more contact, or should you just leave it on the center of the arrow.  I hope everyone can understand this.
LH Chek-Mate T/D Hunter 41# @ 28in.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bitzenberger Helical Setup?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 01:25:00 PM »
Curtis, I have never tried to put helical on in the manner you are describing. I use the "regular" 3 vane end and then use the left helical clamp. It might not put on as much as your method but seems to work well for me with both 4" and 5" feathers. Hope this helps. John
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline grouseshooter002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 01:38:00 PM »
Curtis,
      Yes you can move the back to increase the helical. As you stated you must strive for the most feather contact you can get, but otherwise go ahead and do it. You didn't mention weather you are using a helical clamp and the appropriate nock indexer I'm just assuming you are.

Rick

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 04:26:00 PM »
You will need to offset both ends to get a good fit of the feather on the shaft.  I checked one of my left helical Bitz jigs and the front is offset just over 3/16" and the rear not quite 3/32".  That should be a good starting point and you can fine adjust from there.  Having the Left indexer will not affect how the feather sits on the shaft, only how the fletching clocks with the nock.  Either the standard or left indexer will work for you.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Curtis Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 06:05:00 PM »
Well, I am left handed and use a right helical clamp.  I am not sure if I am using the right indexer or not.  I am just using the one that came with my Bitz.
Fletcher how are you measuring your offset?
LH Chek-Mate T/D Hunter 41# @ 28in.

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 06:57:00 PM »
I was just talking with Bernie? at Bitzenburger yesterday regarding rh vs lh nock receivers.  They didn't even make different nock receivers until compounds came along.  For recurves and longbows the one that comes with the jig is all you need.  The other nock receivers were made to eliminate clearance issues with cables and some of those wierd arrow rests.  You do, of course, still need the correct clamp for your feathers.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©