3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Claws  (Read 411 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Claws
« on: March 21, 2009, 02:20:00 PM »
Not sure if this is traditional related enough or not, so mods please pull if you think it should be.  But I did shoot the bear with a stone point, so maybe that will count for something  :rolleyes:  

I pulled the claws out of a bear hide I had in the freezer.  I cleaned off all of the soft tissue, but the bone the claws attach to is still pretty ugly.  What is the next step to make an attractive ornament?  I'd like to use at least some of them to make a necklace.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline shikari

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Claws
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 02:25:00 PM »
get one of the kids ant farms from wallymart and stick them in there with ants for a week,perfectly clean,whatever you put in it.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 02:41:00 PM »
Joe,

The necklace sounds pretty cool. Where are you going to get your supplies from? Do you have anything special in mind?

I would give Guru and shout and see what he suggests.

Chris

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 02:56:00 PM »
I have some beads around now, and may look for something special for a necklace.  Might add an elk ivory too.  I've looked around at some pics of different necklaces, and found some that I like.  
If Curt doesn't see this thread I'll ask him directly - that's a good idea!  Ant farm sounds like a possiblity too!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Andrew Wesley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 02:57:00 PM »
get a bleach kit online for them at any taxodermy store.
makes them nice and white.
~Andrew Wesley

Offline flinthead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 03:00:00 PM »
I made  a teardrop shaped piece of cocobolo wood,  1/4 in thickand slightly wider ,and inlet it with a dremel tool. Finished it off and hung it on my quiver. Looks cool . Flinthead
Maybe it is time to shoot what I have on the rack

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 03:15:00 PM »
Dog gon it, I thought were were in for a tasty treat...  :D  

Did you get my CO scan Joe?

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 03:28:00 PM »
I have some beads you might like. Do you have pics of the claws? I have never had any fresh ones to work with, and want to see exactly what the problem looks like.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 05:11:00 PM »
I filled mine with epoxy after they came off of the toe bones and made a nice necklace.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 05:46:00 PM »
Whip I cut them off the hide and then layed them out on some wood in the sun and coverd them with salt.Everyday in my spare time I would clean the knuckle and fat off a few with a pocket knife.It took about a week but they came out nice and clean.If you boil them them for 1/2 hr in salty water the toe bone will come out of the claw.Rather then to use them with no toe bone or knuckle.I dry them as mentioned and then fill around the edges with some super glue.Then a good buffing and there ready for your necklace.bowdoc  

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 03:53:00 PM »
Borax would work a little better than salt and no need to put them in the sun.Rub with borax and scrape the bone.Repeat if necessary.Once it is completely clean and dry,you can put some clear finish on it.Borax is a dessicant(dryer)and bug proofer.

Offline KENDALL TECHAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 04:05:00 PM »
That's a nice bunch of claws Bowdoc!!

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 04:12:00 PM »
I was just baseing my info on what they tought us in taxidermy class.I kept them out side on the board because of the smell.And you would want to use non-iodized salt if you choose to use salt.bowdoc  

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 04:16:00 PM »
Thanks Kendall those are from all my hard work in Que'bec..bowdoc

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 05:31:00 PM »
I cleaned them up some more, but they still don't look nice enough to hang on a necklace.  
I just talked with Iron Bull and he suggested using Potassium Permagnumate (sp?) to color the bone part of the claws.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2009, 05:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by Killdeer:
I have some beads you might like. Do you have pics of the claws? I have never had any fresh ones to work with, and want to see exactly what the problem looks like.

Killdeer
Might this be an opportunity for trade discussions?  :saywhat:    :goldtooth:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2009, 05:49:00 PM »
Joe, You've gotten some great advice....if I was to pick a way to do it...it would be like Jim B. said....and if you don't like the look of the bone, take a dremmel and grind it flush with the back of the claw itself....

Now on another note....

For you folks that don't know, Jim B's about as experienced and talented a taxidermist as we could ask to hang around Trad Gang....Back in my competition days, everyone knew who Jim Brandenburgh was....

I know a thing or two about taxidermy, especially Whitetails...but if I had a question about something, Jim would be the first guy I'd turn to for an answer    :notworthy:

The fact that he's a trad bowhunter makes it even better    ;)
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2009, 06:06:00 PM »
Cool!  :cool:   I'm going to start out with the Borax.  Sounds like a nice easy solution!  :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2009, 06:08:00 PM »
:clapper:

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »
I wasn't thinking of a trade, Joe. I just have a lot of beads, and thought maybe you didn't. I have some brass beads, seed beads, some red white-hearts and hair pipes, if you are interested. Might have some other type Crow beads hanging around. Lots of imitation sinew, some leather, tin cones, too.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©