3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: stone knifes?  (Read 1537 times)

Offline weasle

• Trad Bowhunter
stone knifes?
« on: March 17, 2007, 10:46:00 PM »
How well do stone knives work as far as cutting and skinning. Can you post some pics of knives or skinning deer with them? is there anyone on here that could make me a knife and if you could can you pm me? thanks, Drake

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: stone knifes?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 07:17:00 AM »
Here is a pic of a knife that my friend had made for me, the handle is off a shed i found. I have never used it but i will one of these deer seasons i thought it would be neat to shoot a deer with a stone point then take care of it with a stone knife. There is no doubt in my mind that this knife will do the job of dressing and skinning it is extremely sharp. After all stone is all man had for thousands of years it worked fine. I like to look for points most of the points and scrapers i find aren't very fancy but I'm sure they got the job done.

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 07:40:00 AM »
Stone knives,,, top two made by our very own Knife River and I hafted the antler handle. The other is obsidian Knapped by a friend of mine an I added the handle. Used the top one a couple times to cut my climbing rope and leather straps,,, worked great for that! Never got a chance to skin, gut or cut anything else.

>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 07:59:00 AM »
Here's a pic of a javie being skinned by Terry Petko using a flint shard (piece of flint without a handle)with Mike Westvang (the javie shooter)assisting

There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 08:01:00 AM »
Here's a double edged flint knife

and a single edged

There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 08:10:00 AM »
Mickey, that 4th arrow head from the left is deadly looking. Not that the rest would not be.

Cool knives too!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 08:32:00 AM »
Yea, not legal here in Ohio though Joe being barbed and all, but it does look mean.

Offline MYSTIKBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 08:40:00 AM »
here is a really nice, and very sharp, obsidian blade a friend made for me. I hafted it to this piece of antler I had.

I reckon so

Offline MYSTIKBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 08:50:00 AM »
The blade on top in this photo is a nice piece
of chert from texas. Unfortunately the flash washed out most of the detail. It has some very nice color to it. I will have to get a better pic of it.

I reckon so

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 09:16:00 AM »
I hope Bob Walker will have some good stories to share in a few days...    ;)
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Smilingg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 10:06:00 AM »
I have only used flint and obsidian on deer but here is my take: Skinning is no problem at all.

However, the first field dressing cut,the initial incision, is difficult because of all the hair. I wound up using steel to make a 1/2 inch cut and then I had no problem using stone/glass for the rest of the gutting.

Also, the butchering went fine except for one small problem--the backstraps. With steel you can cut right done to the spine/vertebrae to get every last bit of meat with no worries about breaking off the tip of the knife.

I was uneasy about really scraping/pressing the tips of stone/glass knives into something hard like bone. The tips are obviously much more fragile than steel, especially on obsidian. I never have broken a stone head, but I did leave a little bit more backstrap meat on animals for fear of "digging" it out, so to speak.

Overall I'd rate stone/glass as 95% as effective as steel for a hunter's purposes. The pieces I have used have been unhafted.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 10:30:00 AM »
Smilingg, I've used unmodified flakes to make initial incisions.  Worked a lot better than knapped edges -- hair didn't accumulate on the single edge.  Had the same experiences as you about "digging" out the last bits of meat.  Stone/glass is brittle, which allows us to knap it, but that's also its drawback.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline bowmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2007, 11:03:00 AM »
I have used this Neckknife for years. I also carry an extra gunflint in the sheath. Sheath is in pretty bad shape but I made and have used this knife and sheath for about 20 years.

Wool the Natural Fiber

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2007, 08:23:00 PM »
I just made this one up today, I plan on carrying it this fall and hopefully putting it to use!

"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline fflintlock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2007, 09:14:00 PM »
If I remember what I read, and had a Doctor tell me, Brain Surgeons use obsidian to cut with, it is the sharpest know instrument known to man !
 Does that answer your question about sharpness ?
 I had a good knife, and like a fool, traded it. One day, I'll get another.
Just check out some of the knappers and pick up a peice of rock there working on, or some of the flakes, and see if you can't get cut ! In a heart beat !!
 Of course, if it's used alot or abused in some way, they have to be re-knapped, some what. I learned that from shoot'n a flintlock. This rock will shave off metal, if it is knapped correctly, a store bought knife won't.
 By the way, some real nice look'n knives posted above !

Offline weasle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2007, 01:58:00 PM »
very nice knives. keep them coming.

Offline BryanB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2007, 04:26:00 PM »
This is one I carried last season, but never got a chance to use.

This one is for display purposes only.
Bryan

Offline hs6181

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2007, 04:58:00 PM »
all the knives are beautiful

BryanB did you make yours? Those are really nice
Harold

Offline Linc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 04:27:00 AM »
TTT
Lincoln E. Farr

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2007, 09:48:00 AM »
Man I love TG! Where else do you get to see great looking knives like these, great looking selfbows, leather work, knapped heads, and more.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©