3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Has this happened to any other Trad Gangers?  (Read 359 times)

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
Has this happened to any other Trad Gangers?
« on: March 22, 2009, 08:26:00 AM »
I picked up a half dozen BEMAN Classic 500 a couple of months ago.They are 8.0 gpi. I'm shooting them out of a 47# Widow PLV. I had 3 nocks break on me on the way to the target. The last one scared the crap out of me because it never made it to he target. Anyone else have this happen to them? It has never happened with a Gold Tip 35/55 or Blackhawk Vapor Carbonwood 3000.The BEMAN's cut to 28"s with a 250 Grain field point not counting the insert, feathers and  shrink wrap.The only arrow I'll shoot out of that Widow now  is a 60/65# Sitka Spruce .

Offline DEAN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Has this happened to any other Trad Gangers?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 08:28:00 AM »
WHAT YOU SMOKEN ?????????????????
TGMM Family of the Bow
Comptons Traditional Bowhunter

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 08:33:00 AM »
I guess the bow is too hot for those arrows Brother DEAN! Did you get the pictures I sent you???

Offline DEAN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 09:50:00 AM »
YOU BET I DID And what a shooter you are to!!!!!!
nice looking bow there as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!CONGRATULATIONS on your new bow.VERY NICE
TGMM Family of the Bow
Comptons Traditional Bowhunter

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 09:54:00 AM »
I've shot probably a million shots with those nocks on various Beman/axis arrows and have not had one blow out.  Sounds like a bad batch.  I'd just take the rest and switch them out with new ones.

BTW, you Widow guys are funny...  :biglaugh:

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 10:05:00 AM »
I build a lot of arrows and had this happen a with a few nocks through the years.Your arrows aew fine.Heres what happened to me each time.Simply your string is to big for your nocks and it spreads them a stress crack starts and after a few shots they break off at release.

DEAD is DEAD no matter how fast your arrow gets there.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 11:38:00 AM »
Makes sense Roy. Thanks. I had to wrap floss around my serving to build it up for most of my other arrows/nocks. My guess is that the bemans probably would have fit perfect witout the floss on the serving.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 12:10:00 PM »
If it's not the nock fit it's probably a bad batch like Steve O said.  We got a pack once of a brand we had used for years.  After the fourth broken nock in a row we pitched the rest of the pack and put on new ones.  No more problems.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 01:04:00 PM »
I've had it happen to me also - scared the crap out of me, for a moment I thought I'd dryfired the bow.  All of mine were on GT nocks - the infamous "green" ones that have that nasty habit.  I've since replaced the bulk of them with Easton Supernocks - better fit.
Support the sport!

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 05:38:00 PM »
What replacement nocks can I put in those buggers and not have to worry? Beman Classic 500's

Offline spuman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 01:16:00 AM »
I've busted a few nocks just gluing them onto the arrow, pushing down down too hard to get most of the glue out and split out the base.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 11:02:00 AM »
I had a bunch of Easton Axis nocks do that recently. Guy at bow shop said they ship them to the shop with nocks in and he's thinking that they get abused during shipping a probably cracking the nocks, which then let loose once you shoot them. He replaced them all for me. Any Beemans I've bought had nocks in bag. But I bought them ay Cabelas's as raw shafts. Not sure what happens for archery shops.
hunt it

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 11:34:00 AM »
99 percent of the time this kind problem is a string that is too big for your nocks, as already stated. Every once in a while  nocks get made with a bad batch of plastic and then problems happen like this. Once, Bohning had problems with their classic knocks in the chartreuse color and took them off the market for a while. At that time I was still making custom arrows so I know that a bad batch can happen. It would be interesting to know if it happens only with certain colors.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »
Thanks for all the replies Folks! I appreciate them.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©