3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lightweight but Durable Carbon Hunting Shaft?  (Read 473 times)

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
Lightweight but Durable Carbon Hunting Shaft?
« on: March 22, 2009, 12:41:00 PM »
The new bow I've got coming is going to be 53# which is about 10# less than I've been shooting for years.  Everything I have will be way too stiff for this bow so I'm looking for some lighter spined options.  Ideally I'd like to load the front with 250 and try to keep the arrow weight under 550 on these.  It's no problem to accomplish if I want an arrow at or over 600 grains, but I'd like to keep these a little lighter and I'm not that familiar with the lighter weight carbon options.  I know I can set up Heritage 150's that will probably come in a touch under 600 but is there a lighter shaft option that has the durability of the Heritage?
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lightweight but Durable Carbon Hunting Shaft?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 12:57:00 PM »
If you don't mind the look of a black arrow, the standard black shafts are usually a grain or two less than the camo/traditional shafts.

The CX Heritage shafts are some of the heaviest carbons out there - and the 150's are a .500 spine.  For a lighter option in .500 spine consider a GoldTip 3555, the black shafts weigh in at 7.4gpi (so if cut to 30", you're looking at 472gr before feathers or insert if you're using a 250gr head).

From my 51# bows I usually shoot a .400 spine arrow with 225grs up front (cut to 30").  Most of mine weight in at 535-580grs and fly great/hit hard.
Support the sport!

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 02:08:00 PM »
We have some new carbons, available in lighter spines too.  Here's a link to the sponsor's classifieds that has a lot of good info on them:

Carbon Express Predator II\\'s at Braveheart Archery

A 30/50 Predator II should finish out in the low to mid 500's even with a 250 grain point.  Very few arrows will match the durability of the Heritage, but these are very good shafts.   :thumbsup:

Tim
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 02:17:00 PM »
Most of my recurves are in the 53-55 pound range, with 250gr up front unless your arrows are 28" or less I believe you will need to go to a 400 or 45/60 spine to get good arrow flight. I have some Vapor 3000 Whitetail Hunters cut 29.25" with 220gr up front they weigh 530gr +or-. Not sure if these shafts are still available but any Carbon Express 45/60 check the GPI and I think you will be fine.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 02:31:00 PM »
I don't know what spine it would take, but the Beman Classic?  should work. I intend to get some soon, but there are guys on here who know about them.  

You may have to consider dropping to about 200 up front to get a better trajectory.

Offline kevgsp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 03:17:00 PM »
I tried Victory V Force "V3" shafts and really like them.  I don't know if they are tuned better, but I shoot them better than any other shaft I have tried.

.400 spine is 8.1 gpi. 31" long with a 250gr point flies nice out of my 58# Mohawk LB.  Finished arrow weight is 530gr with arrow wrap and 3x4" fletch.

The "HV" series are light,light,light .400 spine is 6.1gpi. Great for EFOC

http://www.victoryarchery.com/VForce.aspx

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »
I shoot 54# @ 28" and use 500 Beaman MFX Classics cut to 29". I can shoot 125-250 grains up front and they all fly great. I'm away from home right now so I don't have the data in front of me but I want to say with 225 upfront they are right around 550 I think. I've tried a lot of different carbons and these are my favorites by far.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »
Tater makes a great point!  You were talking .500's and I threw you some numbers, but if you really want to shoot 250 up front your probably in 45/60 range.  The 30/50's should tune if you want to shoot much lighter points, but you'll end up with a very light arrow in the process.

So you're probably looking for a 45/60 or .400 spine in the 7 to 8 grain per inch range to accomplish what you initially stated you wanted.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 07:29:00 PM »
Dave you can screw in a field point and heat it up and remove those glued in inserts without much trouble.

Thanks for the suggestions fellas.  Y'all may be right about the 150's or a .500 being a little weak with 250 up front.  I've got six 150's here waiting on the bow to arrive and I'll find out.  I do have a some 3000's as well so I may have to strip some down and see how they bare shaft. Should give me an idea on how the .400 would do.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 07:44:00 PM »
Molson,
         Be very careful when heating those points to remove inserts, you may not see any physical damage to the shaft but you could compromise the carbon fibers in the end of the arrow with too much heat!

Dave,
       I am shooting Beeman MFX Classic 400's out of my 56" Shrew Classic Hunter at 54#, arrows are 29.5" with 225gr up front, footed with a 1.25" piece of 2018 Alum. for a 570gr arrow fly real nice and pack a wallop!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
If you want light weight the GT Entradas will give you a light weight arrow at a reasonable cost.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
Im looking at CE 150's. Fly perfectly from my 56# LB...tough too.

I have used the CE rebels....good shaft too.

I have no other experience to draw from...pun intended.  :wavey:
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 11:31:00 PM »
when the end of my carbons get weak i foot them with a 2216 aluminum and they will get weak from taking insert's out and lots of shooting, cx 150's are hard to beat!!Ralph
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 11:56:00 PM »
I like Tater's setup.  Could use easton axis arrows just as well.

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 12:12:00 AM »
Gold Tip 55/75's. I shoot a 55# Sarrels longbow. Mine are 29.5" with 100gr brass insert and 150gr point/BH. Total arrow weight is 508gr. They fly like darts off my bow.

Bisch

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 10:16:00 AM »
Wow Bisch I didn't know those GT's were that light.  I thought they were closer to the Heritage in weight.

Tater makes a good point about heating inserts.  Just go slow and use your nock pliers to twist the field point.  The CA glue or epoxy will "snap" and then you don't need anymore heat.  Just twist and pull, twist and pull.  You can always just cut from the rear of the shaft too and leave the insert in.

I am interested in the Axis and Maxima shafts.  Both of these are looking good as far as weight goes and they are light enough to allow me to load a little more on the front if the 250 ends up stiff for a .400 shaft.

Anymore options out there?

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 10:39:00 AM »
CX Terminator Hunter Lites. They fly better than the Rebels and Heritage for me for some reason.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©