3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What got you started in archery? long read  (Read 491 times)

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
What got you started in archery? long read
« on: March 22, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
What got you started in archery?  This doesn’t have to be beginning with your road to traditional archery but inevitably ending up there.  Were you a compound shooter first?  Who influenced you and got you started and at what age was that.  What or who led you to traditional archery?  Were you always a bowhunter or did you evolve into one or do you not hunt at all?
For me, I recon I was about 7 or 8 years old when my dad bought my brother and me our first fiberglass bows and arrows.  Now in suburban Long Island, New York there wasn’t a lot of places for a kid to go to shoot a bow.  There was enough room behind our house though for a kid to have some fun.  I shot that little bow often…until the day that squirrel ran out in front of me.  He ran about 30 yards from me, so I put the “stalk” on it.  I got within about 10 yards of it perched on the fence…picked a spot (NOT), drew and let fly!  The arrow leapt off the string and hit the mark.  I got a clean pass-through and the arrow went right into the neighbor’s central air conditioning unit.  Now in 1962, or 1963, that was a big deal to have.  So at the tender age of 7, or 8 years, I had my first traditional kill.  I also got a severe butt whipping and my precious bow taken away for quite awhile.  That was the first lesson of be sure of your target and beyond.  (Hunter Ed 101)
Later, I graduated to my brother’s bigger 25# bow.  By then I was able to venture further away from home.  Down the road and across the canal, through the fence to large field at the public school.  Everyday there would be a great flock of sea gulls of maybe around 200 birds in that field.  I could stand up by the school and fling arrows into the flock from 150 to 200 yards away.  Then, after they flew off, I would stump shoot for the rest of the time at cattails and junk.  
When I was old enough to get a newspaper route you could win prizes for getting subscription.  I had spied a Ben Pearson bow that could be won.  I worked hard and it became mine.  I used that bow for quite a few years on and off for fun but no real adventures had begun yet.
As I got older, I began to bowfish in that same canal.  At low tide there were tunnels that went under the highway and the water would be knee to thigh deep.  Now my version of bowfishing, at that time, was to hold the bow almost level to the water and shoot.  The goldfish were so thick that you could reach down and pick up your arrow with up to four or five fish on it.
During all this time, our family was treated to outdoor TV shows that Dad used to like to watch such as The American Sportsman with Curt Gowdy and The Flying Fisherman with Gadabout Gaddis.  I still remember seeing Fred Bear, on The American Sportsman, crouched behind that boulder waiting for that huge grizzly bear to pass by for the famous shot on that world record bear.  It was on another episode that Fred killed that world record polar bear.  My dad although loved to watch hunting and fishing shows never started to hunt until he was in his mid to late thirties.  To the best of my knowledge some of his friends from church got him to start hunting.  Dad died when I was 14 years old, he was 45 and never did get his first deer.  I think fly fishing was his true first passion though.
During the summers, the newly-built high school would have recreation nights.  Kids could go to the school and play basketball, use gym apparatus, ping pong, table hockey.  Out in the track field there would be around five archery targets and about ten “REAL”, wood, recurve bows, I think they were Bear bows.  The gym teacher’s wife was the instructor and she shot a competition bow.  I think it was something like a Bear Tamerlane or a Wing Presentation.  I would be there every night to shoot with her.
There were the years of hanging out with the boy, then girls became the most important thing in the whole world and archery took a back seat for quite awhile.
One day my older brother came home with a recurve bow, some of the new aluminum arrows and some razor things called broadheads.  He was going to go bowhunting.  All I could do was look and drool at these wonderful new archery items.  The bow was 50 # Bear Super Magnum with factory camouflage.  It was never used and sat in the basement for many years.  I would on occasions take it out and try to shoot it but the neighbor would call the law and they would make me stop shooting.  My brother eventually gave the bow to me which I still have and shoot.
When the Sylvester Stallone movie Rambo came out, I couldn’t hold back any more, I had to have a compound bow.  I bought a Ben Pearson “Z Bow”, XX75 aluminum arrows and Razorbak 5 broadheads.  I took the IBEF course and started to read everything I could find on bowhunting. Well that compound lasted about 10 months before the cable teardrop broke.  I fixed it and sold it to the first taker, lock, stock and barrel.  I never did get used to all the “bells and whistles” of a compound.  With the money I bought a Hoyt takedown recurve.  I’ve bought 15 other traditional bows since then and still have them all.
Interestingly I didn’t start bowhunting until I moved my family from New York to Virginia in 1985.  It took me five years to get my first bow kill.  I still remember that first one vividly.  I had gotten permission to hunt a 350 acre horse farm in northern Virginia’s Fairfax County.  I had left work early at about 1:00 PM.  It was a short 20 minute drive to the farm.  I could be in my treestand by 2:00.   The weather was cloudy and calling for sprinkles.  At 3:30 a fork horn buck came walking toward me. I couldn’t believe it I might actually get my chance.  He came in and at about 12 yards I drew and let the arrow fly.  It was a little bit high but at the sight of that volcano of blood I was confident that is until it started to rain.  Now I had never had to blood trail before and now it was raining.  I got out of my stand after about 20 minutes and started trailing, 40 yards later there was my deer!   I have taken at least one doe every year since then but I never have killed a wall hanger.  I’m a meat hunter anyway so it doesn’t matter to me much.  I had planned to go on an Alaska drop bowhunt by the time I was 40…45…50, it ain’t look’n good at this point.  I did go to Tennessee to go on a wild boar hunt in 1995.  I took a nice Russian boar on that trip.  I still dream of going on an elk hunt someday.  
Over the years, I have learned to build my own arrow (wood and other), cut and grind my own turkey feathers and make my own Flemish strings and leather items like tabs and arm guards.  I’ve never really had the urge to build my own bow but I would like to learn flint knapping.
It’s been a wonderful adventure that, thankfully, I still enjoy and still am learning things about.

The first deer (picture) was taken with a Fred Bear Super Kodiak, cedar arrows and Bear Razor Heads (geen).
The hog was taken with a Ben Pearson Colt, cedar arrows and Bear Razor Heads (geen).

Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What got you started in archery? long read
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »
What was the start? I guess it was the neighbor kid at our cabin "up north". He had a bow. I started shooting it. It was natural. I ended up with a wooden longbow from a yard sale. I swear I was as good a shot as Byron Ferguson then. I wonder what happened.

The neighbor kid ended up being my best man in my wedding.
My best friend.

I switched to a compound when I was sixteen, but by the age of twenty, I had figured out that SOMETHING was missing.

Like you bowbender, I have learned alot, and still am. Many of the things you mentioned mirror
things I want to do also.

What got me started was the pure joy of shooting a bow. What has kept me at it, is the same.

You can`t get much more traditional, than a Bear bow, cedar arrow, Bear Greenie, and a Whitetail buck. Retroactive, back to 11/13/93, sincere congratulations!!!!

Offline Leo L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 09:45:00 PM »
I have only been doing the traditional thing for a couple years.  I started out in archery when I was 12, shooting indoor spots with a compound, long stabilizer the whole bundle.  I did have a Mathews compound I bought in 2006 to start bowhunting with but it was heavy, and I am horrible at judging yardage.  In another forum I frequent very often, there were quite a few trad archers, and they seemed to have fun with it.  So I put an ad there for a WTB trad bow.  I picked up my Martin Hatfield and the rest is history.  I never did shoot that Mathews much after that, and about a year later, sold it.  I am nothing but trad now, and loving it.

Getting into trad opened more doors for me.  Trad archers are some of the best people you'll find, and there's so much to learn, and it's so much more fun.

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 09:51:00 PM »
Three high powered rifle bullets flying over my head while hunting deer in WV.  I was 2/3 of the way up a ridge when I heard the whine of a bullet directly overhead followed very quickly by the report of a rifle.  I laid down and crawled up behind a large tree I had been leaning against.  

I promised the Lord that if I got out of it alive I would sell all of my guns when I got home and find another way of hunting.  Two more bullets whined overhead before silence came.  When I got home I did as promised and bought my first bow, a compound.  

I hunted with compounds about 19 years and then seven years ago I sold my last compound and bought my first stickbow.  I've been buying, selling and trading recurves and longbows ever since.  I've even found time to hold onto them long enough to take on a hunting trip!  :)

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »
My Dad. Gave me a shakespeare x-18 when I completed bowhunter safety. I hunted it two years and missed turks.
Found out later(after he was in a home with Alzheimers) that he basically cried when I saved up and bought a wheelie.

Fast forward 18 years, and I now hunt trad only. Set up that old x-18, and will be toting if for turkey again.

Love the journey, and each time I hunt now it is "with Dad".
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »
My start in archery... In 1973 or 74 my Dad brought me home a all fiberglass Hoyt 10# recurve bow.  We shot as a family for years then "life" took over. Fast forward to the middle 80's my first year away at college. I had been thinking about bowhunting for deer and said so aloud. My roomate laughed at me saying, "john, you will never kill a deer with a bow"..  It became a goal that day to bowkill a deer.
I bought a compound the next summer and waited for October 1st. I had a total of two chances that first season, but who would have dreamed of actually practicing shooting out of a treestand..LOL
I got serious at shooting the bow and setting my stands better. For you young guys there was not alot of information about bowhunting let alone actual deer in the middle 80's. I have the numbers somewhere for Missouri archery success, it was around 9% in 1987.. 9 out of every 100 bowhunters actually got deer killed in Missouri.
My second season before the end of October everything went right. That day cemented this lifestyle. A few more years go by and modern bows were just not any fun anymore. I still have the first Black Widow catalog that I called down to Nixa to ask for,, 1992...
So a public thank you to my Dad, Earl Hoyt Jr., Ken Beck and Paul Brunner who all got me started living the life of a trad guy..

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »
In about 1963, I came home from school to find our old duck boat gone. My Dad had traded it for an old recurve with about a dozen cedar arrows with bodkins on them. At the time, I was kind of mad about it, I was 11 at the time. But then he took me hunting with him (for whitetails). Then in 1965 he came home with a 40# Shakespeare recurve for my birthday present. Never been without at least a couple of bows since. I was able to share a number of hunts with my Dad before his passing in 1995. Good times.
Gary
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline suzie_shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 11:08:00 PM »
started when i was little with a red indian recurve given to me by my older cousin. From there i went on to shooting and hunting with a compound and killed my first deer with a wheel bow.  I hunted with compounds up until about three years ago when i lost my hunting ground and was bored with it, not enough of a challenge. A fellow tradganger wolfcoach was a major influence on the purchase of my first curve.  I sold my wheel bows and have been shooting traditional ever since.  I find it alot more enjoyable
Whack'em Track'em and Pack'em

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 12:41:00 AM »
Mine was alot like wildman....gun to loud and bullets ripping by me in the woods....

Jer Bear

Offline john fletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 01:04:00 AM »
I am nearly 60 now.  I remember a little bow and arrows with suction cups that came with an Indian Headress when I was 3 or 4.  Graduated up to a fiberglass when I was about 8 having made stick bows and arrows out of the Lilacs in the back yard. (I still make some bows and arrows out of Lilac - it works!)

At 13 I got my Archery Merit Badge from Len Disbrow here in Kalispell (his house was an archery Museum)  After that I was hooked on the craft as well as the sport.  He pumped a lot of knowledge, tools and materials into me and I never was the same.  I have been making arrows and strings for Boy Scout, Cub Scouts and Church Camps for over 40 years.  Now that I am retired from the real world I am going into Traditional Archery full time after many years of hobby become obsession..

Even with the advent of the Jennings when I was still a lad - the wheels always felt like a machine to me and the bows are so dang heavy.  In fact, the older I get the more primitive I want my bow and arrows to be.  My selfbow and a handful of arrows does not weigh much more than a pound!

Big case of been there done that I guess.  As I said before the only metal I need on my bow and arrows is the points - and sometimes I get by with stone!
Instructor BSA NCS certified

Offline BobT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 01:13:00 AM »
My first bow was made from a plumb tree limb, my Dad whittled it out for me about 1962 or '63. The string was made from braided fishing line. That was the beginning, like some others I went through the wheelie stage. Now I'm shooting vintage Bears and having a ball. I just tried string making for the first time this weekend, it took a few tries to get it right but now three of my bows sport new strings and I've found another pastime to add to my enjoyment of the sport!
Bob

It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fence post than to shoot for the fence post and hit the ground!

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 07:10:00 AM »
Howard Hill put on an exibition at my hometown theater and after, his movie about hunting in Africa came on. I was hooked from then on. I have always hunted both bow and firearm but have not picked up a firearm to hunt with for several years. Bowhunting is just it for me. When I pass from this world my favorite bow and quiver and arrows will go in the ground with me. Started shooting longbows then switched to recurves but I still have a longbow on the rack, a new Zipper SXT and it is fast becoming my favorite bow.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 07:44:00 AM »
Much like Bowbender.The Fred Bear scene w/ the bear planted the seed.I was around 7 then.I would make bows from sumack trees and arros from goldenrods.Many spring peepers fell to that combo.At 11 my father got a Darton 45lbs recurve for me at christmas.I wasn't even strong enough to pull it back.By fall the following year I was ready to kill.A skunk from under a barn was the first trophy.Then a squirrle from several yards away.The next season,I was introduced to arros w/ razor edges.Deer was my target.Opening day found me in a blewdown well before light.I had not seen a deer till 3:00 p.m.A spike way up the ridge and going the wrong way.I deer blew to him twice and down he came.He passed at 30yrds when the arro flew,striking him high and back a little.Went and got my dog and found the spike 150yrds down the hill.
Then shot compounds for several years and deer.When I came across a TBM mag. and saw a add for a trad archery shop in WVa.Went there and bought a Zipper that was way to heavy for me.A year later and new lighter limbs and I haven't looked back.

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 08:38:00 AM »
When I was a kid my dad bought me a Red Fiberglass Bear bow   I shot that a lot but never got very good at it. (I still have this bow)    

When I was old enough to hunt I got a wheelie bow.   From there I jumped in with both feet. I shot 3d, indoor target, outdoor target, everything I could.  After doing this for some 25+ years I decided I wanted to try something different and to simplify my setup so I put my wheelie gear aside and tried a recurve.  

For the last 4 years, I've been shooting trad gear.  I don't know if a consider my self a traditional archer as much as I am an archer that shoots trad gear.
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 09:01:00 AM »
My father, grandfather, uncles and extended relation were heavily into archery decades before I was born.  On the day that I was born my grandfather planted a tree for me on the Mudjaw Bowman archery club in Toledo Ohio.  So I've never felt that I started into archery, more just carrying on the family tradition.  One of my earliest "bow" memories was getting a Bear bow from my father when he returned from on of his hunting trips.  I must have been 4 or 5 years old.  I was probably 13 or so before I knew you could go to a store and buy arrows (always thought they were made at the kitchen table before that)  My boys have been raised in the same tradition.  But I have to agree with MI Bowhunter:

Originally posted by MI_Bowhunter:
 I don't know if a consider my self a traditional archer as much as I am an archer that shoots trad gear.
I have always felt this way and have raised my boys to think the same. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 09:04:00 AM »
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 09:58:00 AM »
With me it was the movies "Robin Hood" and "Ivanhoe" when I was an 11 year old in 1955.  I pestered my parents for a bow and was rewarded at Christmas with a Ben Pearson lemonwood longbow in 30# and archery set.  I graduated to a 45# solid glass recurve which had tremendous handshock and poor cast.  Then to my first real hunting bow in 1968, a 43# Bear Grizzly with which I killed my first deer in 1969.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 10:29:00 AM »
In elk camp about 4yrs ago friend handed me a bow Jim Brackenbury had gaven him some years ago. I had been shooting wheel bows for some time. My friend, in a soft slow manner, said here try this bow....well that was it for me. I about shot my shoulders off in camp! I remarked that my one shoulder was feeling it a bit. He just looked down at the ground with a sheepish grin and said, "yep, it takes a man to shoot those bows!" Went right home sold my compound and bought a recurve...loving ever minute of it! Thanks Jim, you brought another one into trad. archery.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 10:36:00 AM »
I was just a young kid 7 or 8 and my Dad bought me the red fiberglass Bear bow. At that time we lived outside Pittsburgh by the airport. We (Dad, Mom, brother, & me) used to go to some woods by Racoon Creek State Park and just wander the woods and stump shoot. I felt like Daniel Boone! Watched Fred Bear on his shows and just felt like he was what hunting was truly about. I can still close my eyes and see that big Griz' coming. My Dad never took us hunting as he only went with a gun and got one deer and never went again. My Uncles in Texas took my deer hunting for the 1st time in high school in South Texas. Gun hunting only but I was hooked on hunting. Could not get enough. My friends and I started small game shotgunning every Saturday and over a year or two I got a Bear compound bow. I had one shot at a buck and must have shot at LEAST 6 feet over his back but what an adventure. I have been bowhunting ever since and have been blessed to harvest quite a few deer with my compound bow but it just lost it's appeal a few years ago and I made the switch. I have missed ALOT of deer over the past 2 seasons with my longbow (operator error!) but have made the switch to LH shooting as I am left eye dominant. I have taken both my son and daughter hunting a number of times and we have our 3D deer in the front yard all the time and shoot quite a bit. My son is the one in my avatar with his first bow kill of any type! We were hunting on my Uncles place in South Texas and just had a great day from the time we got there until he got that rabbit and we went home and ate it. I try not to push but just make archery available at all times and try to communicate the lifestyle to them too. Hunting and the bounty the Lord provides is a way of life here and I can't be thankful enough. Great Thread! Thank you for asking and helping me remember way back when.....Thanks again Dad!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 10:46:00 AM »
A friend gave me an old recurve he had, a few old arrows, and that was the beginning.  Never underestimate the power of just asking someone to try a bow.  Thanks Nick!

RonP

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©