3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Making Lemonade  (Read 322 times)

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
Making Lemonade
« on: March 22, 2009, 10:26:00 PM »
This story involves bow making, 3D shooting, and being a trad shooter in a compound environment.   Unfortunately, it involves a lot of pictures, which I needed to share with the Hill Longbowmen, so I put a new web page up on my personal bulletin board.  I don't feel up to reposting them all pic by pic through Photoshop, but you can reach the page through the link I'm providing.

Basically, yesterday I had a bow disaster... took one off the form and found a little more than half the width of one limb failed to laminate.  Ouch!  What can a guy do?   Well, he can cut a narrow slice off the good side and make a bow out of it!   I did it, mostly just to keep busy and work off the disappointment.   Surprise!  The silly looking little sliver of a bow that resulted turns out to be an extremely pleasant and good shooting bow!  

I went out to a new shoot today... a compound event where they promised a trad course and trad stakes on the regular targets.  This would be a first for me.  I've always avoided "open shoots", but man, I needed a shoot fix.   On a wild hair, I decided to take the new bow with me, unfinished, just to maybe try...  Here's how events transpired:

http://dickwightman.com/bulletinboard/ibo-shoot/ibo-shoot.html
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Making Lemonade
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 10:41:00 PM »
A great day at the range   :thumbsup:
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 10:44:00 PM »
That's the way to make suweeeeet lemonade, Dick.  Thank you for taking us along on the shoot.

Ray
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline Focusource

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 01:29:00 AM »
Perhaps at a lower draw weight, a full width limb just adds more mass and subtracts from performance. I don't know. I'm just typing my thoughts. It's worth asking some of the bowyers on the site for their thoughts. Anyway, you did a great job.

Jeff
TradTech Pinnacle II riser, 50# BlackMax limbs

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 02:19:00 AM »
Jeff.... that's a really interesting thought.  I'm sure I'll be devoting some shop time to trying to duplicate the phenomenon of Lemonade...
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 04:49:00 AM »
nice job Dick thanks for the great pics.I love that last target with the hog.Its one of those do or die shots.At one of my hometown courses we have a rocky cliff with 2 rams if you miss there you just walk up an get your toothpicks to use at dinner that night.

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 10:05:00 AM »
That was a really fun report, Dick.  Way to make the best of things and keep on learnin'!

Uhh... have you thought about installing a Bow Bolt in that there thing???    :goldtooth:

Great work!
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 10:28:00 AM »
Daryl... no, but the thought of converting a lipstick tube to a takedown sleeve did occur...  :^)
Dick in Seattle

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 06:32:00 PM »
I never saw a mosquito that big before  :scared:    :scared:    :eek:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by frassettor:
I never saw a mosquito that big before   :scared:      :scared:      :eek:  
You need to go to Scheels - you can take it home to intimidate the flying buggers in your backyard.
Support the sport!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©