3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Can I hear from the ladies......Or men speaking on their behalf  (Read 724 times)

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
So My Female counterpart accompanies me on many if not All shooting outings.  Practice, 3D competitions etc.  When Shooting at Bales She does OK at 3D she doesnt do so well and gets Really down on herself and moans and groans the whole time about How she SHould sell her bow and Do something else.  SO I'm not Naive' and I know there are alot of good women shooters out there, but realistically How well are some of you Trad women Shooting.  The reason I ask is that there are NONE where we shoot...

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can I hear from the ladies......Or men speaking on their behalf
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 11:36:00 PM »
I would tell her to expect to miss and focus on watching the arrow fly. It's addicting just to watch a good arrow fly, especially when it leaves the bow looking like a spinning ball from the back.

My daughters loves to shoot and does pretty well. Some of the best female shooters I watched were Sandi Karch and another young gal making their way around the Comptons course last year. I was put to shame.   :eek:
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 11:39:00 PM »
My wife shoots and is pretty good at the ranges she is comfortable with.
My advice is for her to just have fun with it and who cares how good she is. It will come in time so just stick with it, don't sell the bow and enjoy your time shooting together.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 11:45:00 PM »
My wife comes with me to many shoots, and we don't see may women trad shooters either, but the ones we do see, it is very obvious that they are there just for the sheer joy of it! Not many of the ones I see seemed real concerned with the details of the shot, just the simplicity and the fact that they don't have to worry about sights and form and back tension and release, etc, etc, etc...they just have to pull back and let fly!!!!

My wife included, she is not real concerned with form or lots of practice, so she does not expect to improve, she just enjoys being with me, and I with her, and enjoys the times she does connect, but mostly just being outdoors and having fun.

Not sure if this answers your question, but just my experience.

Jake
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 11:52:00 PM »
You might consider letting her try a significantly lighter bow.   I can't believe how my shooting improved when I had to drop weight really low due to medical problems.   Shooting what I'm beginning to think of as "ultra-light" allows me to be aware of form without having to struggle to achieve it.  I know it leaves hunting out as a consideration, but I've been shooting down in the upper twenty pound range and today I shot a bow i made yesterday and did very well (for me) on 80 some targets at a 3D... with a 17# bow!  It's a lot more satisfying to hit with light bows than miss with heavier ones.   Just a thought.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 11:58:00 PM »
She actually shoots her heavier Shrew better, but Likes to go back to her "first" 32# ben pearson... It's not the bow... It's what she's "seeing"  Or not "seeing".  I'm not sure where her focus is when she shoots 3D  I think shes trying to keep up and it's the wrong mind set... 1/2 the time her arrow is on the right path it just misses SHORT  at the 25yd+ targets .. Trust me Strenght is not her weakness

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 12:12:00 AM »
I know this may sound too simple but have her practice more at the longer yardages until she feels comfortable shooting them.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 01:26:00 AM »
I have known many people who where lousy shots,-but still, enjoyed, and in many cases, had more fun w/ archery, 3d shoots etc. than others I have known who were crack shots.  Really, the idea here is to have as much fun as possible,- posting some score, is not all that important.  Enjoy the flight of the arrow, the woods, and the company of those around you, and you'll get the best of it anyway.  She probably tenses up some,(alot?)  at 3d shoots, --she likely would have more fun if she approached them as great "stump" shooting targets-- don't keep score,-- she likely will hit more anyway.  If posting some score is all that important to her, -- this stump shoot approach, is a great way to experience a mind set, that she can use if she wants to post competive scores some time in the future.    Maintaining DOWN RANGE focus is always, to a greater and lesser degree, a primary challenge of effective instinctive shooting.  The quality of this down range focus is the first thing to suffer, when people shoot 3D--leading to bad results.  When the whole thing becomes somewhat "judgemental" - the focus is shifted away from the "down range" to the SELF - now its an EGO thing--the result is tension, and trying to force the shot,rather than letting it happen.  Just let em fly, like you would at play stump shooting--a childs mind at play .  Ive shot  100's of 3d events-  This is the best way to have the most fun and as it turns out, shoot a whole lot better.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 02:10:00 AM »
Good advice Chuck!  I certainly learned something, and get very tense at shoots and it affects my results.  Very insightfull IMO.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 05:11:00 AM »
sometimes I get worked up when there is a lot of people around.I just try to relax.I never keep score. an I move up instead of shooting the steaks.alot of times they are set for compound shooters.an its too far for my ability.no sense in praticeing at a distance your not going to hunt at .unless your just goofin around

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 05:20:00 AM »
My wife and daughter shoot 3D with my son and I, we never keep score and just try to have fun. we have a great time doing it that way, they both shoot light weight bows.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 10:30:00 AM »
Make sure she is get the chance to shoot different techniques.  If you are an instinctive shooter, introduce her to gapping off the arrow and gapping off the riser.  Connie is a good shot and will shoot competitive scores with most of the guys.  She gaps off the point.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »
I agree with the above and I like what wingnut said sorry but if I had kept trying to shoot instinctive I would have probably quit.  I can shoot very consistent gapping and I can enjoy the sport because of it.

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 11:11:00 AM »
Not sure if this is a factor for your wife.  When I started shooting I too had an old Pearson that I loved.  I have a short draw(23").  I just did not get enough power out of the limbs at 23" to get my arrow down range.  They would drop by 25 yards.  It was not until I got a bow made for my little draw that I could hit 30 yards with no problem.
I also was a crack shot inside and out at large targets(like big bales).  When it came to our 3-D deer I could not hit him.  It was all the other things in my view.  Everything around me and the fear of having to search for my arrow in the weeds if I missed.  I took up stump shooting.  It is a blast.  Helps you focus on the shot and not the other stuff.  Helps you judge distances.  It is a blast.  I would take her out to the woods.  Or let her go alone.
Hope this helps-
Katie
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 01:15:00 PM »
Like side above keep it fun and if it seems its only the longer targets where the problem is le the rmove up to her comfort range to shoot like already stated unless its a trad only shoot the targets and distances will be set up for the compounder shooters.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 01:23:00 PM »
I believe that the farther the target is from the archer,  the more difficult it is to focus on a tiny spot, especially using instinctive shooting.  This goes double for a 3D target and, for some reason, many of us tend to shoot for the whole target or a whole area of the target and not the spot.

Picking a tiny spot is, in my mind, the first and best answer to address all of these concerns.  Technique, bows, anchor points,  all pale against the need to aim at a small spot.
ChuckC

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 02:18:00 PM »
I agree with chuckc, I have had new shooters get very close to a target and look at a spot and shoot it. Do not shoot 30 targets if you are tired after 20. it has been said before, ten good arrows are better than 100 bad. Shoot close range and gain confidence, it is good to be confident in what you are doing.
   KEEP IT FUN ALSO!
Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 03:09:00 PM »
My wife shoots an older Bear Kodiak Mag., but only in spring-summer, maybe a little in early fall. She doesn't want to hunt with it, but enjoys shooting in the back yard and going to 3-d shoots with me. she has a lot  more fun if I make her just pick a spot where she is comfortable shooting from and not shooting stakes. She doesn't care about score, but doesn't like to "cheat" by not touching stake if there are other people around. Maybe try going around 3-d course at a slower time with less observers or with just a small group of mutual friends.

Whats really agravating is when she can out-shoot me for the first 10 targets or so with her very little practice!   :banghead:   but she does fall out as the shoot goes on as she fatigues.   :goldtooth:  
My 5 yr. old daughter also shoots on occasion---sometimes not for a while, then all of a sudden she wants to go and shoot till she can't pull string any more. I don't push her when she doesn't want to shoot, just let her pick her time and place--- want to keep it fun for her!

Ben
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 04:26:00 PM »
Great points every one.

In my opinion I would just plan some stump shooting outings with zero pressure just out to have fun.
My kids (when younger) just wanted to see the arrow fly. Heck I just like to see the arrow fly.

Close is good in stump shooting and adds to that pick a spot goal we all shoot for.
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 04:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by katie:
Not sure if this is a factor for your wife.  When I started shooting I too had an old Pearson that I loved.  I have a short draw(23").  I just did not get enough power out of the limbs at 23" to get my arrow down range.  They would drop by 25 yards.  It was not until I got a bow made for my little draw that I could hit 30 yards with no problem.
I also was a crack shot inside and out at large targets(like big bales).  When it came to our 3-D deer I could not hit him.  It was all the other things in my view.  Everything around me and the fear of having to search for my arrow in the weeds if I missed.  I took up stump shooting.  It is a blast.  Helps you focus on the shot and not the other stuff.  Helps you judge distances.  It is a blast.  I would take her out to the woods.  Or let her go alone.
Hope this helps-
Katie
I agree with Katie. Stay away from targets. Target panic is not a good thing. Go stumping it is a blast and no better way to hone your skills.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©