3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trad with a ghillie suit  (Read 1236 times)

Offline MikeJMO

• Trad Bowhunter
Trad with a ghillie suit
« on: March 18, 2007, 04:54:00 AM »
Has anybody tried this? Seems like it might get in your eyes and mess up your shooting. But it also seems like it could be pretty effective camo

Offline Voodoofire1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trad with a ghillie suit
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 05:37:00 AM »
To me it's like bread & butter, I have been closer to more animals this past season than anytime in my life, I did miss a wide open shot at a nice buck this year because of the headnet, it shifted as I reach full draw and obscured one eye, but hey, it was still a very thrilling season, a little more trimming, and it worked great!
True happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have!

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 06:44:00 AM »
you have to trim it while you practice with it on. find which part impairs your shooting, and cut it.
it looks a little "GI Joe bowhunter" but is very effective. I put it on over non-camo hiking clothes once I get to my spot, which allows me to walk by non hunting hikers without getting "the look"  :)
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 09:30:00 AM »
I've used a camoflauge similar to the ghillie that works well. What I've done is to attach something like B-50 or even artificial sinew to my clothing and hood. You can use a needle to do this by going through the fabic and back out with an 8" piece of  cord, then tieing this off with a square knot. You want to put these about 6" apart. it's especially import to have them arranged to break up the profile of human shoulders, heck and head.

Once you are in the area where you are going to hunt, you pull off pieces of foliage in the area to tie onto your clothing. I particularly like gum leaves and cedar branches. Not only do they give you visual camo, but they also do a great job of covering body oder.

I haven't yet been stepped on by a deer, but I've had several within about 6 feet.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 12:08:00 PM »
Mike, you'll find many opions about camo here. I think it's all about being confident in what you use. I've been as close to deer as you can get in camo as well as plaid shirts.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 12:55:00 PM »
I use mine all the time and you can see it in my avatar.

Dennis

Offline Recurve50LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 08:33:00 PM »
I bought one from one of the BIG outdoor catalog stores last fall. After using it for part of the season I was convinced that I will wear no other camo clothing while bow hunting. Just remember to keep your hands covered and wear a full face mask and hat. I use the light weight brown cotton gloves you find sold in convieniance stores for 2 bucks. Also remember to keep some type of cover behind you and move V.E.R.Y. S.L.O.W.L.Y. too.
Larry
Turkey Creek Longbow
62" 45# @ 28"

Thunder Stick Mag
56" 45# @ 28"

Offline jeff / sc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 07:11:00 AM »
Just need to trim the sleeve and hood, took me several shooting sessions till I got it right. As long as you keep the wind it works great, move slow and pick your shot.

Offline jack benson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 08:29:00 AM »
I got a handful of turkey feathers as a flock walked by me last October sitting under an apple tree if that is any indication ;o)

FWIW: I didn't have to trim anything on mine.
Without geometry, life is pointless.

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 09:02:00 AM »
I'm the same as Recurve50lbs.  Won't wear any other camo than a guillie suit unless its real warm out.  Had deer real close last season while hunting on the ground and up against a brush pile.  Never knew I was there.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline TJ Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 04:46:00 PM »
Any particular brand you guys are buying or are you making your own? I'm interested in giving it a try this year.

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 06:38:00 PM »
Just make your own. Lots of info on them on the net. You'll have to customize to fit your needs though. Most info is of a sniper type application.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline jimneye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 07:32:00 PM »
It's my understanding that the homemade ones are hot, smelly and you should stay clear of fire.

I don't use one but would like to try them out if I could find a good synthetic one.
I've hunted almost every day of my life.....the rest were just wasted

Offline David Sapp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 08:28:00 PM »
I'm also interested in one if it is light and would not absorb water/odor. Most of the ones I've tried have been fairly heavy and seemed to snag everything that I passed by. Seems as if the weight would go up dramatically on a cotton model if you're caught out in a fall rainshower.
Hunting with the bow and arrow involves earning your way by making meat, getting your hands messy in the process and then recognizing your own reflection upon them.
"The Squirrel Chronicles"
Dean Torges

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline David Sapp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »
Oops double post
Hunting with the bow and arrow involves earning your way by making meat, getting your hands messy in the process and then recognizing your own reflection upon them.
"The Squirrel Chronicles"
Dean Torges

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TJ Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2007, 10:09:00 PM »
What do you suggest making one out of? Burlap seems to have a smell to it and seems like it would be heavy if it got wet. Any sort of synthetic or light weight material you could recommend?

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2007, 11:25:00 PM »
their are two types availible that I can find; one has strips of material; the other looks like grass or moss... which one works better or worse?

Dennis: all I can see in your avitar is a cute little girl; a dead buck; and your face. Where is the gillie suit  :)

'Razorsharptokill': "lots of info on the net".. ha ha ha - I get it.  :bigsmyl:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2007, 11:26:00 PM »
I've got a Rancho Safari ghillie suit, and love it! Filled my Iowa antlerless tag while wearing it last season...Here's a pic..selftimer of course!!!

Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2007, 01:58:00 AM »
I know that shot felt good. Nice shot fireman!!
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline jimneye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2007, 07:56:00 AM »
Fireman did you make any alterations?
I've hunted almost every day of my life.....the rest were just wasted

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©