3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Duck or Die - Edited - he ducked & died  (Read 1329 times)

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
Duck or Die - Edited - he ducked & died
« on: March 23, 2009, 12:14:00 PM »
Last year I was looking for a way of being more certain of my turkey harvest with my recurve and purchased some of the magnus bullheads to use for head shots. They shot great, but when push came to shove. When the 2008 season opened, I went back to my woodsman 3 blades and body shots,was able to kill a nice gobbler.
I have decided that this year I would be more prepared and try to have the confidence to use the bull heads. Thought you all might want to see how I have been practicing. Here is a couple of pictures of the bullheads. I have shot them into an old pillow and they tear a great big hole. They hit exactly where my target points hit out to twenty yards, but all of the practice shots seen on this post were with target points.
Chris

We do not stop playing because we are old. We grow old because we stop playing.

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Duck or Die - Edited - he ducked & died
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 12:21:00 PM »
I use and old jake, thin, foam decoy as a target since I don't want to shoot the head off of my 3-D target. Just sitting on my stool, no blind, I am able to hit the head or neck about ever shot (15 yards, my limit on turkeys).

I know shooting out of a blind can throw off the shot so I set up my blind yesterday for a little practice. I bought a hidden hunter blind from Ron Laclare (x-mas present from wife. Here is a pict.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »
Good luck Chris!  I've been thinking of trying them...hopefully with more loyal to them this year we'll really see how the work for us trad guys....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 12:31:00 PM »
Heres what my sight picture looks like from the hidden hunter.

First shot sequence resulted in 2 in the neck 3 out.

Looks like I need more practice. I only shoot a round of arrows and then rest for a while, so through the day on sunday, I would shoot,do something else for an hour then shoot again. I got better shooting out of the blind. Here is the last flight I shot. 3 in and 1 out.

I've got a ways to go yet, but hopefully come April I will have a success photo to add to this thread. Wish me luck!  :)
Chris Rice

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »
Thanks Curt, I like trying new things, and I really don't mind missing, as long as its a miss. Calling them in is what really pumps me. This head, from what I have heard from other archers, puts them right down if you connect with the head or neck.
We'll see, hopefully.

Chris

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 12:56:00 PM »
where can you get those heads
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 01:04:00 PM »
any sport shop that carries magnus heads usually has the bullheads i saw a video playin gin a store this past weekend and they claim the 100 grain is good for body shots??? of course thats with compounds not sure about trad gear i think i would stick to head and neck.  I was going to try them this spring as well went to pick em up they where 40 bucks for 3 to much for me to spend this year good luck rice cant wait to here abotu there performence

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 02:07:00 PM »
Rice
Not highjacking your thread but I am interested in the hidden hunter blind. I like the looks of the large opening. But the materal the blind is made out of makes the difference here in WY. Some materals just make to much noise when the wind picks up. Have you seen the materal double bull uses and if so how close to the same is the hidden. Problem being to much nylon to much noise, more cloth/canvas less noise.

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 03:24:00 PM »
Hi Jack: Never hunted out of a double bull, but this material is more like nylon than canvas. The pict was taken yesterday when we were experiencing 20 mph sustained winds(35 mph gusts), with the tie downs there was no flap and no sound. This blind has spring steel that holds the fabric. There are no hubs and no popping it up. It folds around and then you bend it into a circle and it hooks to itself. It can then be carryed like a back quiver over the head and shoulder.I am 6 ft 4 inches and can stand up in it. I previously had a brickhouse blind. It was heavier, shorter, and took me 10 times as long to set up. Go to ron laclairs site(sponsor) and there is a video that shows how to set it up. Or P.M. him on his thoughts about the fabric.

Chris

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 03:28:00 PM »
Rice, That is very nice shooting.  I am wondering why you are not going to use the bullheads, in the body?

I understand how lethal a head shot is, but the one thing about turkeys is the head is always moving.   I always thought a body shot had better odds.  What do you think?

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 03:47:00 PM »
It-M-grow. I have been lucky enough to have killed three turkeys in the last three years with a woodsman 3 blade, body shots. None of them were complete pass throughs. 50# recurves pulled to 29 inches. If you look at the pic. of the head (above), its got a broad conical head and it has a lot of shoulder behind it. I don't think on a body shot I would get enough penetration. I asked Mike Sohms(SP.)of magnus broadheads and he suggested when using a recurve, to only go for a head shot, clean miss or clean kill.
I know what you mean about a turkey moving its head, I have missed several in the past, shooting at their heads.
I am going to give this a good try, if by mid May I have missed several birds heads, it will be back to the woodsman for me  :) .
They do work well, here is a pict. of last years bird.

Chris Rice

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 04:26:00 PM »
Thanks for the info. The height sounds good as I like long longbows. Will look at the site. Already want one of Ron's shirts and hawk may have to add blind.

Thanks again.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »
Chris, Is that the bigger of the two they offer?
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 10:48:00 PM »
The compound boys use high poundage bows and the 100g Bullheads for body shots.  I wouldn't do that with under a 70# stickbow.  I've got a pack of the 125g Bullheads; they shoot good, but haven't had the chance to use them on a bird.

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 11:14:00 AM »
Morning Curt  :)
Yes its the larger model. I like to set up, call for an hour and then move if I get no responce. The hidden hunter is fast to set up and easy to throw over my shoulder and move. Unless it is realy windy, I don't think I will have to rope it down.
My brickhouse had to be taken down, then stuck in a bag. I could not stand up straight in it which can be hard on my back after hunting all day. It was a pain.
I am hoping this new blind will allow me to move quick and relatively quietly. We"ll see.

Chris

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 03:25:00 PM »
Well the Oklahoma turkey season kicked off on the 6th, but I had to work of course. Did get to go out on the 10th. Didn't hear or see anything that morning, probably because of the 50 mph winds and all the smoke the night before. But I did see this.

I was in the right area, anyway. Decided to try again after lunch.

Chris

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 03:37:00 PM »
I went out after lunch and set up my blind and decoys. The sun had come out and the wind had died down to about 10 mph. I had just sat down and was getting ready to screw a bullhead onto my arrow, but decided to call first. I gave 3 loud yelps on my slate, and to my suprise a gobbler hammered back at me. It was then keystone cops trying to screw on the bullhead, put on my headnet, find my diaphram call and get an arrow nocked. Finally I was ready, but the bird hadn't shown himself. I yelped on the slate again, and he double gobbled  :)
Ok no more yelping, a few clucks, purrs and whines, he double gobbled again and came out of the trees about where that small bush in the top of the photo is.

He was in full strut, I purred and whined on the slate for the last time, he gobbled and then came on the run.
This is what he saw when he came out of the trees.

Grab your bow chris its go time  :)

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2009, 03:46:00 PM »
That is to cool.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2009, 03:53:00 PM »
Looking forward to the rest of this one....  :campfire:
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2009, 03:58:00 PM »

Thats B-Mobile in the center there, Old tom came in from the right into my sight picture. I came to full draw, concentrated on his neck right below his head, and let her rip.
Unfortunately he moved his head.
Whifffff  :(

Thats a lonely looking gold tip with a bullhead broadhead on it.
But I get ahead of myself, theres more to this story.
They say there are young dumb jakes, and wise old gobblers,
but there are no old dumb gobblers.
This was one of of the middle aged dumb thunder chickens.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©