3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: upfront weight loading  (Read 389 times)

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
upfront weight loading
« on: March 23, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »
IM still pretty green with all this so please bare with me if this question as alread been asked.  From reading post on this site it seems like heavy broadheads are the norm in the trad world, also adding brass weigths up front.  My question is why is this and is it a must to shoot those heavy weights upfront i shoot a 50" @ 28" recurve i draw 28" i have cx heritage 150s cut to 29" and shoot a 125 grain point this seems to be shooting very very well for me is there any reason i should go to heavier point or is this set up just fine for hunting.  Main game will be whitetails with a bear throwen in there every 6 or 8 years

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: upfront weight loading
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 02:10:00 PM »
Mostly the guys that load arrows like you speak of are hunting dangerouse game like buffalo where you can't kill them without first busting through a big rib..You are just fine for normal animals.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »
If youre accurate with your set up and are shooting deer then you dont need to worry about it at all.

High FOC according to tests and predictions gives better penetration , but you probably dont have any issues with that as is.

Have no idea what is reasonable for a blackbear.
Wherever you went - here you are.

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 02:42:00 PM »
Or they are shooting lower draw weights at shorter draw lengths for deer sized critters. Besides the penetration higher FOC's are more forgiving to your errors, carry more energy and shoot flatter down range, and drift less in the wind....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 03:09:00 PM »
This remindes me of the Bear Tippit shot with a wood arrow, stone point, and a 50# self bow. Complete pass through.....
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 03:15:00 PM »
I just tried just what you are talking about. Just walked back in as a matter of fact.

I've been shooting 2016 arrows cut to 29.5".  My broadhead was a 125 gr magnus amd my bow is 51 @ 28".  

With this set up I got a complete pass through on one deer this year and a partial pass through on a second deer. Broadhead was sticking about 6" out on a hard quartering shot.

Today I tried a 200 gr point with the idea of using 200 gr broadheads next season. It shot well enough but I just didn't like it as much as what I have been shooting.  More than likely it is all in my head.  

I plan to experiment some more and have not completely given up on the idea.  Still I like what has been working for me and if the heavy tip doesn't work out at least I gave it a try.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »
O.L. has pretty much laid out all the benefits of high weight forward arrows.  A practical reason that a lot of folks add weight to the front end of carbons is to tune them to the bow.  Carbons come in a small range of spines, and most are quite stiff, i./e., high spine.  Adding weight to the front of the shaft is a way of softening/decreasing the dynamic spine.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 07:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by bowmaster12:
i shoot a 50" @ 28" recurve i draw 28" i have cx heritage 150s cut to 29" and shoot a 125 grain point this seems to be shooting very very well for me is there any reason i should go to heavier point or is this set up just fine for hunting.  Main game will be whitetails with a bear throwen in there every 6 or 8 years
Short answer: No.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©