3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Calcific tendonitis  (Read 383 times)

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Calcific tendonitis
« on: March 23, 2009, 10:03:00 AM »
Or commonly known as "huge pain in the elbow".  I was diagnosed with this in my bow arm last week and it's a calcium deposit in the tendon of the elbow which causes so much pain I can't shoot.

My orthopedic doctor prescribed Naproxen and physical therapy.  After a week it isn't much better but they say to wait about a month of treatment.

Anyone else have this and what were your results?
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Calcific tendonitis
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 09:24:00 AM »
I have it and it never went away for me. I can only shoot a little and I dropped weight on my bows, shooting a 45 pound bow. They gave me a arm wrap that helps me when shooting and at work. It takes the pain away. You put it on about two inches below you elbow.

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 09:33:00 AM »
I basically have the same thing...tendon leading from your elbow running down your arm toward your hand...I believe this is it.  Looks like a thorn on the x-ray.

Anyway if you have what I have then yes it hurts...first shot about brings me to my knees, after about 5 shots the area is tender but I push through.  Later that night or the next day it hurts a lot.

Anyway I got a Cortisone shot last fall and it helped immensely and it was to last about 3-4 months, doc was spot on and almost 4 months to the day it started hurting again.  I’m going to schedule another appointment for a follow up and another shot, only thing that will work.  Late this year I’m going to see if anything can be done to fix it.

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 09:45:00 AM »
I have it bad, it got so bad I could not pick up a mug of coffee.  Last week I got a Cortizone shot,it seemed to put the fire out for awhile.  But, the pain is comming back in full force.  I have another appt with the Doc on Thurs.  I will see what my next option is.  I was told the shot only works for 60% of the people it is given to.  I still can shoot for awhile, it's my left elbow and I shoot left handed.

Offline hockey7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 09:57:00 AM »
-don't do anything with that arm...use tools, shoot your bow, LET IT REST. Ice it as many times a day as you can to reduce swelling. Consult a physiotherapist for therapy. Don't do any exercizes until the pain is completely gone, only therapy. Mine took a couple years to heal, but I pushed it. I thought it healed, then went right back to shooting...bad move. Use a "band-it" on your forearm when it heals...this might take weeks, or months. Cortisone shots "mask" the pain, so I stayed away from them...you could be hurting your arm even more, and not even feel it.
TAKE IT SLOW...good luck.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 10:34:00 AM »
I've had it in both elbows (twice in one)at diff. times....

Listen to your orthopedist....P.T. is a wonderful thing...I've learned this thru other injurys...

Mine went away on it's own everytime...

Mine was so painful I couldn't pick up a cup without regretting it....but I never completely stopped shooting...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Two Arrows

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 10:59:00 AM »
I've had it in the past, at some times it was like others have said, not being able to pick anything up or raise my arm. Here's something that has me wondering now, over the last couple of months I have developed a bump on the underside of my elbow of my bow arm. Anybody else have this and what is it?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 12:29:00 PM »
I had surgery on mine 2 years ago it was so bad, cortizone shots wouldn't touch it. It all started when I switched from a recurve to a straight limb longbow. Now I'm ok if I stay with a recurve, but if I pick up a longbow I can feel it even now. Stretching exercises that work that tendon are the best cure I still continue to do them and have no more problems. Good luck I feel your pain!

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 12:49:00 PM »
Mine is different from tennis elbow or golfers elbow.  This is on the bottom of the elbow and hurts only when pushing on something are holding a bow being drawn back.  After reading a lot about it and talking to the orthepedic doctor and physical therapist I found out it is an unusual injury with a not too good prognosis.  I'm going to try a total elbow and forearm brace but will wait several more weeks to give it time to settle down.

Thanks for the replies.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©