3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The most durable wood shaft  (Read 2201 times)

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
The most durable wood shaft
« on: March 23, 2009, 06:11:00 PM »
Looking at getting some wood shafts.I like to stump hunt and small game hunt,so I'd like to know what is the consensus on the most durable of the woods.They will also be deer arrows as well.

I was thinking lam birch,but maybe you folks know something I don't(Which is alot..  :D  )

A search of the forum really didn't give me much of anything,so I decided to post on it.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline arrowslinger22

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The most durable wood shaft
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 06:13:00 PM »
I pretty fond of ash, hard to break for sure, but not as easy as many others to straighten (and they will need straightening)
Only when the last tree has died
and the last river been poisoned
and the last fish been caught
will we realize that we cannot eat money

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »
POC
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

"When a Man comes to the mountains, He comes home." John Muir

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 07:07:00 PM »
I like Ash too, had good luck with them staying straight. I go through them once a day for a few days to make sure they are straight befor I seal them.

You realy have to try hard to brake one.

Eric

Offline Broken Arrow 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 07:12:00 PM »
Lam Birch are The toughest Ive shot. But I like to shoot poc.
Its not the size of the animal you hunt that matters. Its how you hunt the animal.

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »
The good thing about ash, in my experience, though is that once you straighten ash, it stays straight for a good while.

But for small game, stumping, and the occassional deer...I'd go with POC.  You'll go thru a lot of shafts shooting at squirrels and rabbits, and that can get expensive. I'd shoot the less expensive cedars, and homemake your own blunts for critters and stumping. It'll save you alot of loot!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 07:38:00 PM »
In the heavier shafts, ash and hickory are the tough guys for sure, and in the lighter material it is tough to beat Doug Fir.
Having said all that mostly I just shoot POC-nothing else quite compares-and if they break-fix them with a Reparrow.

Offline Precurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 07:52:00 PM »
I'm pretty tough on wood shafts; I shoot fairly heavy poundage (about 70 usually), and am always hitting things with my judos that I shouldn't be, but these Douglas Firs from Surewood have been very good.  None broken yet in about 3 months, and I do alot of shooting.  Very little straightening was necessary; some excellent quality shafts all around.

Dave

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »
Hickory and ash are probably the toughest, with and lam birch pretty close behind.  They are also quite heavy.  Of the bunch, the lam birch shoot the nicest for me.  Ramin is very good if you can find it.  Very tough, shoots well and reasonable weight.  Dough fir is pretty good, too, and can be had in a wide weight range.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »
John @ Twig Archery swears by his RAMIN wood shafts---says they are VERY durable and I have seen them take some hits that would break other shafts

Ben
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »
I agree with Bjorn.  I think hickory edges out ash for toughness, but they're both tough.  Doug fir is inbetween the hardwoods and cedar.  Tougher and heavier than POC.  Despite that, I shoot cedar most of the time.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 08:04:00 PM »
I like lam. birch.I've tried most other out there and for consistancy and quality lam. birch from 3 rivers have been very good.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 08:21:00 PM »
Do a search" Favorite wood for wood arrows" by me bentpole. I have shot tapered cedars for a few months and just tried some parallel Sitka Spruce. My opinion is that the Spruce is more durable than the cedars. So much that I just orderd a dozen taperd Sitka Spruce.These are the only two types I tried so far.

Offline Scrub_buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 08:35:00 PM »
I received a test pack of Douglas fir from Surewood shafts and they were awesome.  Everyone rolled clean on the table and they were very easy to work with.  I cannot say how tough they are when it comes to stump shooting, but they are supposed to be heavier than cedar and lighter than the hardwoods.

Offline shikari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 09:28:00 PM »
I prefer bamboo but i just ordered some poplar shafts from john@twig rchery to try out,been wondering how they will wrk out.

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »
I'm with Ben...that ramin from Twig archery is some tuff stuff.  Hey Shikari,John's poplar is a great arrow wood too.  Maybe not as tuff as ramin but a lot easier to taper.  Give John at Twig archery a call.  You will be glad you did.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 11:17:00 PM »
I like the split hex shafts. Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2009, 02:00:00 AM »
I have not personally used ash but a friend of mine did and he and I both spent some time getting them straight.  It did take some work and depending on how they are stored, they might need it several times over their lifespan but usually just a tweak.

My personal favorite for a heavy, strong shaft is maple.  I've bought a few times from Silent Pond but it's been several years since I've used them.  They varied quite a lot in the amount of straightening required and I usually had about 2 out of a dozen that were only good for flu-flus. They are heavy too.  I have a very long draw and I was ending up with nearly 800 grain finished weight arrows.  They were super tough though.  I shot one square into a piece of angle iron on a target frame once and it bounced back real hard.  When I looked at I was shocked to see that the tip had actually mushroomed somewhat.  Usually, I'd had tips get a flat spot or push back farther on the shaft but this thing caved in the tip and started to roll back behind it!  The shaft was just fine.  Shot the arrow as it was for a year or more before loosing it somewhere.  If I ever go on a moose hunt, these are likely what I'll carry.

What I shoot now is a compromise.  I shoot POC but footed with a single point footing of either ramin dowel from the hardware store or black walnut dowel from a wood supply store.  Someone else either here or on the *********** posted about this years ago so I can't take credit for the idea.  I did a build along on this at one point quite a while back but I just did a search and couldn't find it so it must have been dropped out of the archives.

Basically, I use my point tapering setup on my table saw.  I have a jig set with two grooves.  One angle is for point taper and one for nock taper.  To do a single point footing, all I do is locate the bottom side of the arrow based on nock and grain orientation and then put the shaft in the jig groove with that side facing the sanding disc.  Then, I simply feed it in like I would to make a point taper but I do NOT rotate the shaft.  On a 23/64" shaft, I end up with a single taper to a feather thin point that is about 3 or 4 inches long.  Do the same with your footing material of choice and then use some Tight Bond 2 or 3 glue on both pieces. (type 3 is more water proof but the strength is about the same as 2) Lay the two pieces together and wrap with thread from one end of the splice to the other and back with about 1/4 to 3/8 inch spacing between wraps.  I use waxed B50 bowstring material.  It peels off nicely without sticking to the glue very much. You can put nice even pressure on the joint this way and still have a little working wiggle room for final positioning.  Rolling the wound shaft on a flat surface like the table helps get things aligned nicely.  Let sit until dried well.  Overnight is best.  Remove thread and sand lightly to remove glue residue and smooth transition areas then cut and taper like a normal shaft.  I chuck the point end up in an electric drill to sand the footed area before I taper.  Tapering removes and indentations caused by the drill chuck.

These shafts are VERY strong.  I was skeptical of the single taper splice until I tested several by shooting into a rock wall at about 10 yards.  This was from a 65lb at 32" bow and while the front of the arrow did shatter (Like duh!) the splice was intact.  I shot the untipped shaft into the same wall and it splintered more shaft and got up into the spliced area but none of the splits/damage followed the glue line!  I'd like to try something like hickory, maple, purple heart or osage as a footing but like I said, I've only done it with ramin dowel and black walnut.  Black walnut is not super strong or heavy but it sure looks pretty.  Purple heart, bloodwood, ebony or other tropical hardwoods would be much stronger, would help increase FOC and would be drop dead gorgeous.

By the way, this is a great way to salvage arrows that get broken behind the point too.

Maybe I'll do another build along if anyone is interested?
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2009, 05:13:00 AM »
Dave,definately do a build along!We always love build alongs around here.lol I'd have been skeptical about a single taper splice as well.

From what I read,ash and hickory seem to be the top contenders here.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2009, 10:17:00 AM »
Ash for me. Spine and weight just come out perfect for my 50-60 lb selfbows. I find them tough and durable.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©