3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Aluminum vs Carbon  (Read 2013 times)

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Aluminum vs Carbon
« on: March 23, 2009, 08:36:00 PM »
I've pretty much always shot 2016 Legacy's thru my Widows but I'm thinking about trying some carbons.  I'd like to hear from those of you who shoot carbons what the real advantages are over aluminum?
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Buckeyehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Aluminum vs Carbon
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »
The only real advantage I see is durability.  You can't bend carbon.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »
They are quieter (maybe not on the shot, but every time you ting em against something).

They aren't cold like aluminum.

More durable overall (although heavy wall aluminum is darn durable).

They front load better.

They are either straight or they are broken.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline DBerrard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 08:56:00 PM »
Nothing beats a legacy though.  :)
David

~Kanati Klassic~ 50@26"

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »
It's a terrible thing to have as many good choices as we do.

One thing to be aware of, you will have to make some concessions to get a carbon flying for you if you are shooting 2016's now.  Your going to have to load up the tip or leave some extra length to get the spine you need.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 09:17:00 PM »
I second the Legacy 2016s. Aluminum is easier to work with. Like using heat to turn/remove your inserts so your broadheads will line up the same on all of them. And you don't have to worry about scraping old fletching off of aluminum shafts and damaging them. Carbons will crack on the point end too. Aluminums, generally, are cheaper, too. But, I know if they get a dent/ding in them, then they are done. I've shot both, but only aluminum in trad. Still, I prefer aluminum for the above reasons.

P.S. Let me know if ya wanna trade off those 2016s. I may have something you need, who knows?

Doug
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »
Yeah I don't think I'm gonna give up my Legacy's, but just toying with the idea of trying Carbons
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »
Have to disagree with every statement made about aluminums. They are noisier at the shot, they do not tune as easily as a carbon and a dozen carbons will outlast a dozen aluminums 5 or 6 to one. I would rather shoot wood than aluminum, it is as durable is quieter at the shot and easier to tune. Sorry but I never have liked them, for the guys who do, good for ya! Shawn
Shawn

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 09:45:00 PM »
Hey Rick, I spent the better part of this past weekend messing around with some GT 3555 arrows/shafts.  I too use 2016 when I shoot aluminum.  Long story short..to heck with the carbon!  When I finally hit on the right combo of point weight/length, etc; they didn't hit where my woodies and 2016's did.  If 'ya just got to find out for yourself (like I did !), only buy a few (or borrow) to play around with.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 10:11:00 PM »
I've found the opposite of SuperK. I shoot 2016's and 3555's. I find the 3555's shoot faster, quieter and are much more durable as stated already. You will go through at least three dozen aluminums before you would go through a dozen carbons.

Finding the proper spine is the key so if you do get them, take just one arrow and shoot it full length and then cut it down a half inch to an inch at a time to find the best spine for your bow before cutting all of them. I shoot them out of all four of my recurves ranging in poundage from 50-56 lbs.

Love the 2016's as well but the carbons are wonderful. The 3555's are lighter than the aluminums so I use a 100 grain brass insert to pump the FOC up.

I wish I knew where someone was selling a test kit like they do for the Sitka's  so you could test them without buying a whole dozen. I think I've seen half dozens on the big E auction site.

Good luck.

T.J.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 07:59:00 AM »
Carbon? ... Wood? ... 2016s? ... If you ask me they are all good! Carbon is a bit of a chore to tune but if they are (footed) front and back are almost bomb proof. Although they look funny that way. Wood is just cool and smells good when it's cut. Takes time, if you have it, to prepare into arrows. Can't have enough 2016's! Great for all sorts of target shooting and some hunting too.

BUT... For deer hunting with a longbow I just gotta use wood. That's what my heart tells me anyway. If I ever take my TFV off the wall I will be using Carbon Express w/100 gr. brass inserts and a heavy broadhead.

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 08:12:00 AM »
I like my aluminums and have for forty years.  I've found them super easy to tune and the multitude of sizes allow for easy pickin'.  I think choices are great and carbon will develop into a better arrow for the traditional shooter.
If you like those extreme fronts of center that everyone is touting nowadays, carbon is the way to go.  Just be tickled there is so much available.

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 08:23:00 AM »
Ive shot aluminum for 15 or 20 years.
Im getting a new bow this spring and I plan to shoot carbons in it from the start.

It seems that for all the reasons I had chose aluminum, with the current carbon I can do as good or better(price, durability, consistencyand etc).

Im kind curious and excited to see how they work out.
Wherever you went - here you are.

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 09:17:00 AM »
Michael, Cedar is all I shoot out of my Hill bows, can't bring myself to use anything else and half the fun of using them is making them.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline shootist1952

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 09:51:00 AM »
The thought of carbons scare me big time and I would NEVER use them,they will/do splinter,and if you have ever gotten a shaft thrue your bow hand you'll think twice about wood and thrice about carbon,at least with wood if a catastrophic failure occurs you will have biodegradeabel slinters.If you doubt the very real threat of this happening just go to Easterns website and read the precautions about carbon shafts from the producer of them.I would never risk eating venison shot by a carbon shaft...ooo yum carbon splinters.I'm not trying to be a wise guy here as just about everyone knows more than I do,but every time I hear about people loading up the front to get the shafts to bend I just cring,some guys are really aching for the bacon.Of course its all just bull until it happens to you,I hope it never does.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 09:54:00 AM »
You don't want to use carbon, that's your choice.  
Carbons have been in use as arrow stock for a decade, and in golf club shafts and fishing poles for longer than that.  Carbon isn't any more likely to splinter than aluminum or wood are to break, and the bunk about carbon splinters in meat is just exactly that, bunk.

Offline shootist1952

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2009, 10:14:00 AM »
????...OOOKEEE..DOEKEEE. I am speaking from real life experiance and published data from the manufacturer as well as pictures I have seen of carbon shafts that have failed and gone thru peoples bow hand.I'm not trying to upset anyone,just trying to help keep people safe,course its none of my bussiness what others do,just saying it hurts like hell and its probably not a good thing?

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2009, 10:21:00 AM »
Can it happen?  Sure. Aluminum can also fatigue and come apart ont he shot.  Wood can have flaws that don't reveal themselves until you put the material under strees.

Does it happen?  About as often as a million dollar slot payoff.

Let's try and keep the discussion over shafting open.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »
I agree Jeff.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2009, 11:12:00 AM »
Ouch, Jeff. Little harsh?
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©