3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Aluminum vs Carbon  (Read 2011 times)

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Aluminum vs Carbon
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2009, 11:15:00 AM »
Lets not forget Rule 1: Respect

It's ok to disagree but not necessary to jump down a guys throat.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2009, 11:28:00 AM »
Let's not take this aluminum/carbon debate personally...in order to keep this thread open.

I think some of the concerns Shootist expressed about carbon splintering either in the hand or animal come from the older pultruded carbon. I know for a fact that those did indeed splinter and the failures were usually catasrophic. I have not seen any of those problems with newer carbon technology even when used to the point of abuse.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »
Sorry to be harsh.  Carbon is at least as safe as aluminum or wood.  You aren't any more likely to swallow a carbon splinter than you are to swallow a bleeder blade off a broadhead.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2009, 01:27:00 PM »
I`ve shot 2018`s or 2020`s for years but got my hands on some carbons at a deal that shot like a dream. Could been lucky that they tuned just right with what I had I don`t know.I got about a dozen 2018`s left I`m gonna use out of my Homemade longbow "Mojo" but I got a dozen 35/55 gold tips I`m gonna load up and shoot out of the new longbow Apex is building me. I will say from the ones I`ve shot the carbons are much more durable and I like`m. I`ve killed about a half dozen pigs with one shaft and three rabbits.With the lack of critters I`ve seen the past few days this dozen should last me about 50 YEARS.RC

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2009, 01:38:00 PM »
I have found that any arrow out of a certain bow may be hard to tune, but it can be tuned if the spine is close. I shoot alum.,carbon,and wood, I have had good luck with all three. My 2216's still shoot as good as any!!! Carbon may be more durable, wood may be  pretty and smell good, but my 2216's and 2117's still work darn good. I will also say that I do love wood arrows.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Timberghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2009, 02:24:00 PM »
Been shooting Aluminum 2114 X7s or XX78s for over 10 years now.

They ALWAYS weigh the same,  they ALWAYS fly the same, and the bare shafts ALWAYS cost less than $6.00 each. Additionally, they ALWAYS fly the same with either a 145 gr field point or a 145 gr Bear Super Razorhead on the business end too.

I have tried just about every carbon combo out there and with the exception of the ABS Sitka, I haven't found one which tunes as easily and flies as well as my trusty old 2114s.  The up front higher cost of the Sitkas, the "fat" business end (penetration concerns), and the abrasion caused by 3D targets sent me packing back to my beloved 2114s in short order.

Once you find a good shaft which flies right every time,  why switch?

My buddy JC loves his carbons and argues the merits of his very effectively... Of course he spanked my fat behind good at the TBG State Shoot 2 weeks ago so maybe you ought to listen to him instead of me anyway...    :knothead:
The toughest thing I've found about deer hunting is getting them to hold still long enough for me to stick an orange spot on them and then step off the yardage...

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2009, 02:59:00 PM »
Not gonna recommend one arrow over another, but the reports of carbon arrows splintering are primarily from the earlier years of carbon arrows, when the quality of the carbon arrows and manufacturing process was quite different than what is used today.  Contacting Easton archery will confirm this.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2009, 03:09:00 PM »
Sorry. looks like JC already mentioned this.

Offline Hubertus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2009, 04:41:00 PM »
I swiched from aluminum to carbon, but i'm still a novice. You may be in an "If it ain't broke.." situation. What I like about carbon most is that they're either straight or broken.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2009, 07:44:00 PM »
Jeff,

In the days of pultruded carbons, I'd agree with "shootist." I remember having a number of Beman Hunters blow apart in the early 90’s. When they broke, they turned into a wad of flying splinters. If one broke in an animal, it was a very smart idea to discard any venison around the wound. Those spliters were small and nasty.

But that was then. This is now. Today's cross-weave carbons are no more like pultruded carbons than the '64 Chevy I used to own -- with its steel dash and no seat belts -- is as safe as my wife's '08 Toyota with its airbags galore.

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »
I think if you were really concerned about arrows breaking at the bow and impaling your arm you would be raging against wood if anything.
Wherever you went - here you are.

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2009, 12:19:00 AM »
Yep, the only arrows I've personally had blow up doing the flight shooting has been wood and the only one I've seen go through any ones hand was wood. I did have a home made carbon blow up but that was not a comercially available shaft.....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline shootist1952

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2009, 10:09:00 AM »
Geez I'm not raging about anything,and your right I wont shoot wood either if I can help it and only if I have a good setup for bow hand/arm protection.Think I'm being a little overly cautious?The injury to the bowhand by arrows is more prevalant than you think not only from the shaft itself but from fletching also.I dont think we should live in fear,we should live in awarness. Really I just dont understand that if the new improved carbon shafts are so unlike the older ones why does Eastern have a precautionary statement(I think I checked a link to thier site last week)about using them and how to test them after every shot and of the possibility of them splintering in game.Hey I'm only asking,I'm not trying to freak anyone out,I'm not being argumentative.Personally I will only shoot aluminum given the choice,my reasoning is why should I risk launching a projectile over my hand/arm that needs to bend some to be accurate that is made of many pieces of individual unlike parts attached together when I can use a projectile made of a homogeneous material.I'm sure I am wrong about this,its just my preferance.So once again I am asking you to not get angry over my questions.I wont respond to this topic again just to be sure it doesnt become an argument.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2009, 10:11:00 AM »
Litigation would be the reason for the warnings by the carbon manufacturers. Only needs to happen once for them to pay through the nose if they don't have the warning label.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2009, 10:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by shootist1952:
Really I just dont understand that if the new improved carbon shafts are so unlike the older ones why does Eastern have a precautionary statement(I think I checked a link to thier site last week)about using them and how to test them after every shot and of the possibility of them splintering in game.
It's called "coverin your corporate backside." Those old pictures circling the internet with a pultruded blown through a guys hand still have impact today...

Most of those recorded injuries dealt with carbons on overdraws also. I'd be curious to hear if any of our almost 20K trad members had ever personally been injured by a carbon shaft out of a tradbow.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2009, 10:14:00 AM »
I quit bending aluminums 10yrs ago

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2009, 10:22:00 AM »
I shoot 2016s and 3555s both, and cedar too. What I find is that carbons need extra weight added (I've been using the grey tubes 3 Rivers sells) to get adequate penetration on game out of my setup. I am shooting a 46# BW longbow, and a Thunderstick Mag same weight. For stump shooting, which is my main type of practice, I prefer aluminum. If you bend them they can be straightened, most of the time. Carbons tend to split if you hit something too hard with a blunt, and you have to throw them away. Cedars just break and unless you can foot them, they go in the fireplace. All in all, aluminum shafts "take a lickin' and keep on tickin'". Wish Easton still made the XX78 Super Slams shafts in 2016=--they were the toughest ever!

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2009, 10:56:00 AM »
I've shot all 3 and personally prefer carbon, either Carbon Express Heritage or GT 3555s.  I prefer the carbon because when they're broken there's no question about it.

I don't know the underlying caron arrow science, but I do know that Vermonster13 and JC are right.  If there is any history of risk, any even marginally competent lawyer will tell the manufacturers and dealers to post the warnings.  It's not the risk of losing a law suit that's worrying them, it's the risk of having to pay for one or two and having your insurer deny coverage if you didn't post the warning.  As a way of resolving disputes litigation is preferable to war, but only barely.  Less blood, but the cost is otherwise about the same.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline texophilite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2009, 03:33:00 PM »
I do not know how many are aware of this fact, carbon shafts can vary in spine according to nock location. A few years ago one of the companys that buid "modern" accessories was developing a new shooting machine and in testing it were suprised to see the deviation there was on point of impact arrow to arrow. They began to spine the arrows making sure all nocks we oriented to the stiff side of the shafts. This made a noticable difference in the groupe the machine shoot.
I offer this for contemplation. Another thought, most target shafting has an aluminum core.
LTH

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2009, 06:29:00 PM »
They ain't perfect, that's for sure.   It is nice to have so many choices and my choice is aluminum.  

Jeff...go shoot some arrows partner.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©