3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Aluminum vs Carbon  (Read 2012 times)

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Aluminum vs Carbon
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2009, 09:12:00 PM »
I'll take that as an order, George.   ;)
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Groundpounder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2009, 10:09:00 PM »
Im shooting 55/80 Rhino carbons with a 170g tip and some xtra weight up front and total weight is 660 they seem to shoot pardon the pun but straight as an arrow and they really whack the target with authority. Ive only ever shot these carbons with my longbow cooks mountain 50@28 because im new to trad. but ive shot both carbons and aluminum out of my compound , and after a couple dozen aluminum i bought a half dozen carbons to try them out in 2000 i used three for practice and have always kept three aside for hunting other than replacing some fletchings and broadheads i still have the same half dozen arrows. and killed a fair amount of whitetails with them . You cannot match the durability you get with carbons you just cant.its not a preference its scientific.

Offline Bowtie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2009, 10:43:00 PM »
Legacy aluminum for me........ for all the positive reasons stated previously.
The work praises the man.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2009, 06:26:00 AM »
I have shot all 3 and have had all 3 break coming off the bow on release.Each time it was a damaged arrow that should have been checked closer before I shot it.I had a 1916 break into 4 pieces on release.Shooting a coonshoot one night I had a carbon do about the same thing.It was 6 shooting in our group and it got beat up in the dark and I did not see the damage.Wood just does it sometimes if you shoot groups much.Check your arrows well and none of them will happen much.I shoot carbon most followed by wood these days.I have not shot aluminum in a few years.Mainly because I just like carbons best for hunting and have to shoot wood from primitive bows at 3ds.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2009, 08:00:00 AM »
You mean folks are still shooting aluminum????  :confused:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2009, 08:56:00 AM »
Well people still shoot bows with just glass on them Terry.    :D   Aluminum stays in that vein. lol
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2009, 09:02:00 AM »
Hey, I still like aluminum. To each his own.    :p    :)
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2009, 10:49:00 AM »
Terry....I had a guy shooting a compound bow ask me that exact question about recurves and longbows 8^).

By the way...I still have that AD you sent me and I've shot it a good many times and it's still tickin'.  I'll have to return it one of these days.  Maybe 8^).  If they all worked as well as that Arrow Dynamics there would be more in use.

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »
Its great that we have so many choices in arrow shafts. Everybody has their reasons for preferring one shaft over the other. I've shot owned and shot: aluminum, wood, pc carbon, aluminmum/carbon composite, wrapped/woven carbon, etc.  For arrow shafts, carbon is the best performer for a number of reasons, most of which have already been mentioned. That doesn't mean you have to shoot them. I shoot carbons almost exclusively ,but I like wood as well and am starting to play around with some river cane. Heck, I still shoot aluminums occasionally...to remind me how much better carbons are...   :D    :D    :D
David    

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2009, 01:38:00 PM »
Yeah...that was a joke...glad you guys took it that way.  I still shoot wood arrows too, but I think carbons are definately better shafting than aluminums.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2009, 01:58:00 PM »
Wonder if Alum are made from recycled coke cans??mmmmmmmmmmmm   :saywhat:      :saywhat:     :wavey:Budweiser???  :bigsmyl:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »
Have tried carbons but still like my aluminum better. They are easy to tune and easy to straighten. I guess I am just to old to change.  :biglaugh:

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2009, 07:03:00 AM »
I was one of those guys who declared carbon to be JUNK. All aspects of them were more difficult, if not impossible.

One day while shooting with a friend, my target fell over while it was stuck full of his carbons, and my aluminums.

We stood the target back up, and he dug the dirt out of his nocks, and returned them to his quiver.
My XX75 Platinum aluminum shafts were destroyed.

I gave carbon ANOTHER try...determined to learn, or give up forever.

If you are willing to learn, carbon arrows will bring bow tuning to another level for you.

I remember Bear metric mags, green Gamegetters that the color wore off, Autumn Orange, XX75 camo hunters and so on. I grew up with them and loved them all. My money is now best spent on carbons.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2009, 11:04:00 AM »
I have a friend that can do the same thing, Terry.  Drives me nuts.  he can grab my arrows and shoot them out of a 35 pound bow with perfect flight.

I have to tune the snot out of my arrows or I spend all my time wondering if it's my crappy shooting or a waggling arrow causing problems.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2009, 11:18:00 AM »
Thought I would throw this in since someone mentioned test kits. You can buy single Carbon Express and Gold Tip shafts from Black Widow for $8.00 each and they come with inserts and an assortment of weights. Can't beat that deal!

Ken
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2009, 11:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
Maybe its just me...or my arrow choice...but I do not have to tune arrows to fit my bows.  I do have to figure out the brace height and nock point...but I dont' have to fool with the arrows at all...alls this cutting off, point weights, rear weights, etc....

I shoot Arrow Dynamics Trad Heavies out of all my bows from 55 to 70#s....with head weights from 175 to 250 grains.....same arrow, any head I want, from any bow I want.....always get great flight.
You know, I can shoot my tuned-in aluminum 2016s at 20 yds. and then shoot my too stiff aluminum 2117s at the same time and they all look good in flight with the same point of impact, but let me shoot a bare shafted 2117 and it's over-stiffness shows itself immediately.

So my point is, just because it appears as though you're "always getting great flight" with fletched arrows doesn't necessarily mean you're always correctly spined.

Doug
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
3 Fingers Under

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2009, 01:56:00 PM »
Doug, from first hand experience, Terry's arrows are an anomaly out of his bows (and even some of mine). Could be he has super clean release (which he does), or great form (which he does), or maybe it's just because he hunts with a funny hat, or whatever, but he can get those trads to shoot out of any bow he owns, mix and match at the drop of a hat. And I don't just mean "shoot", I mean busting nocks and complete passthroughs. That ain't happening with poor arrow flight, least in my experience.

However, I've used his arrows and can't do diddly with them, on his bow or my own...so I'm stuck with tuning. Besides, I kinda like fiddlin with arras.

Your mileage may vary....
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2009, 03:15:00 PM »
OK...to answer the original question....

Carbons are quieter on the shot as they don't have that resonating hollow sound.

Carbons are over all quieter in the field.

Carbons don't come out bent after a pass through from an animal moving on the shot.

Carbons are either straight or broken.

I have found Carbons to be much more durable.

Carbons correct paradox faster.

Carbons have better dimensional stability at impact....less noodling....so they penetrate better.

And...to beat it all....you can rattle in bucks with Carbons.  Yep, I've done it.

George...no worries...just pass it along to someone else inquiring sometime.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2009, 03:15:00 PM »
JC,

Yeah, I understand too, that carbons can be well suited to a wide range of draw weights which is good because there aren't as many choices in spine as there are in aluminum. I would still be curious as to where Terry's bare shafts are grouping in relation to his fletched arrows, though.

I second the comment about his funny hat! I saw him wearing it on the Trad Gang DVD and thought it definitely was, let's say, unique for sure! I sure like his Hush Puppy silencers too. Maybe that's his secret, he has specially made Hush Puppies installed on his string that nobody else can get! AHH HAH!
     ;)         :)  

Doug
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
3 Fingers Under

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »
Funny thing about bareshafting: I can't fathom the innumerable game animals that have been harvested or the number of medals won in tournaments with arrows that have NOT been bareshafted for say....oh...the last 1000 years.

I believe in it for me, but it's not always necessary to get excellent arrow flight.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©