3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow spine?/turkey hunting  (Read 316 times)

Offline Zach Mikita

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow spine?/turkey hunting
« on: March 23, 2009, 10:07:00 PM »
My buddy showed me a dynamic spine calculator on here through yahoo, but I can't access it now.  

I have a few questions:
1.My buddy and I have been spending a lot of time trying to find the "perfect" arrow.  I shoot a 52" Kodiak Mag. 55# at 28".  I have been shooting GoldTip 5575 with 225 up front and bare shaft they flew perfect at 10 and 20 yards.  I was so excited!  Long story short found the original arrow in the grass that was given with the bow (7595 31" I think 150#)they fly very well too.  I haven't bare shaft it yet.  Should I stay with the 5575 (I know they work with 465 total weight) or experiment with the 7595 (395 tw)?
2.I bought a Ben Pearson Bronco for my girl friend.  It is 48" 30# at 24".  I've looked at charts, but they are so broad.  I don't have an arrow that is close enough to shoot (atleast I dont think).  I don't want to spend the money on a test kit when I know half of them are too large for her bow.
3.Hunting turkeys off the ground...is a blind needed?  I know it can be done, but is spot and stalk an easy task?  What is an inexpensive blind?  Do you feel comfortable shooting through the mesh windows?

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow spine?/turkey hunting
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 10:36:00 PM »
Hunting Turkeys without a blind is the ultimate challenge. Getting a shot is difficult, but not impossible. In twenty plus years and calling in at least sixty plus Goblers I have shot at three. Missed two and hit one that got away. Good Luck

Offline hkmp5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 12:15:00 AM »
Hello Zach,
Here is a link to the latest released file:
  Dynamic Spine Calculator  

Regarding the GT arrows, I went ahead and ran the numbers for you.  You don't mention the length of the GT5575 that bare shafts well for you but the calculator shows that is should be right at 29.25" for your bow.  Assuming that is in the ballpark then I ran the GT7595 numbers with a shaft length of 31.  At that length it will be still stiffer than the GT5575.  To get the GT7595 to match then you will need an additional 60 grains up front.

Hope this helps!
-Stu Miller

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 01:57:00 AM »
You can forget about stalking.At least I did.Sence the early 80's I've killed 7 gobblers with my selfbows 2 with recurve 6 others that I called up for friends with selfbows.All were killer with ghillie's and with a decoys.
  TOTAL camo even the bottoms of your boots.And you must have decoys to draw there attenion away from you.I've called up and either killed or seen friends kill well over a 100 gogglers easy.NO BLINDS.
  You can't out draw a gobbler with a shotgun much less a bow.
  Anyone tells you different they have'nt hunted to many turkeys.
  As far as your arrows go shoot what you and your bow likes.your deer set up will work fine.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©