3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting for a cure  (Read 286 times)

Offline brill16hockey

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting for a cure
« on: March 24, 2009, 12:21:00 PM »
Now I know this is a forum about traditional bowhunting, and even though there was no stick bow on this hunt I feel the need to talk about it with other people that share the same passion as me.  I just got back from the fifteen hour drive from tennessee back to my home in Pennsylvania.  I have been doing some filming with a new company and the owner asked me if I would go with him to guide a turkey hunt for this hunting for a cure.  I really didn't know anything about it until I got there, but it was a great experience, and a real eye opener to a great place.  

Hunting for a cure is a fundraiser for St. Judes hospital.  I have read alot on here about different things for St. Judes but I didnt know too much about the actual hospital.  At the guide luncheon on Friday we heard stories from survivors, and families of non survivors alike about the great things that this hospital did for them.  In a world where it seems that you are always behind, its is a great thing to hear that this hospital will help anyone, and not make them pay a dime.

The turkey hunting was slow and the birds weren't talking, but that was a small part of the weekend.  The child that I took out and his father just wanted to be a part of the event, and they enjoyed the time we spent in the woods, and the few lone birds we heard.  The hospital raised just under $65,000 dollars during this event, and I know that I will be back to guide again next year.  I would just like to thank anyone on here that holds St. Judes fundraisers, or has ever contributed to them.  I met some amazing kids and families that had thier lives changed by this hospital, and you are the reason they can do the things they do.  

The best part is when we finally had to call it quits and I aplogized to the kid that we hadn't been able to harvest a turkey, the 13 year old said he didn't need to kill anything to have fun, and he was just glad to get out and be part of the woods and the event.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting for a cure
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 01:32:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  Great of you to give your time to such a great cause. Thanks for sharing.
hunt it

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 01:35:00 PM »
Great job.  Being a part of an event like that really helps keep your perspective on the important things in life.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 01:41:00 PM »
Nice job helping a orginzation like that! The 13 year old you guided has the heart of a trad hunter not having to kill something to just have a good time. Congrats. Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :clapper:
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©