3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Traditional Only Shafts  (Read 823 times)

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Traditional Only Shafts
« on: March 24, 2009, 01:46:00 PM »
Just ordered some traditional only (400) shafts from 3-Rivers. Anyone have a report on them. I've used Gold tips for years, how do they compare? I see they are heavier which will be a good thing.

Thanks T.J.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Traditional Only Shafts
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 01:59:00 PM »
I'm pretty sure they are the old beman classic ics shaft. they should have the same wood grain pattern on them as the axis/mfx arrows.
very good quality, but so are gts.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 02:05:00 PM »
I think you are right. I clicked on an online spine chart and it's head read Easton/Beman ICS MFS.

Anyone else have two cents on this one?

Thanks T.J.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Stringslap16

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 06:26:00 PM »
I know Easton makes them.  Haven't shot them though.
I am a bowhunter in who the old ways have joined the new

Samick Spirit II 40# at 28"
Monsters Bows Lycan (Soon)
Monster Bows Dragon (Sooner)

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 06:29:00 PM »
I have a dozen 500's I ordered for one of my lighter bows and they are very good quality the finish looks like my MFX Classics. I am happy and think they are a good deal for the price.
   Weight and straightness seem consistent.
                pat
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 07:14:00 PM »
Thanks Tater. I was stuck between the 400's and 500's. If I think the 400's are too stiff for my bows I'll sell them and get the 500's. Would you mind telling me your bow specs you use the 500's with?

I have 4 recurves from 50-54 pounds I'll be using them on and my draw is 26".

Thanks T.J.
www.zipperbows.com

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 07:28:00 PM »
You will even have to front load the 500 pretty much unless you leave them long.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 07:33:00 PM »
Yes, they are the same as the ICS Classics. I've been shooting ICS shafts for several years and really like them. And since you can get the Classics for $60/dozen, they're a great deal.

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 07:36:00 PM »
KentucTJ,
       I bought the arrows to shoot out of a 48# Griffin I have them cut 29" with a 50gr insert and a 145gr point 195gr total up front. They were still a little light for me so I added a piece of weed-eater string in the shaft to get the weight up to 500gr.
       They fly like darts!!
                Tater
Big Thompson Bowhunters
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 09:53:00 PM »
Getting mixed signal here. George says they will be too stiff and Tater is telling me with my 100 grain brass inserts and 100 grain points they should be fine. Oh well I'll know it a few days I guess.

If they don't work for my does anyone want them? I'll just cut and fletch one of them.
www.zipperbows.com

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 10:04:00 PM »
KentucTJ,
       Are your bows 50 to 54 at your draw or 50-54 at 28"? If they are 50 to 54 @ 28 and you are drawing 26" then your actually shooting 44 to 48 pounds at 44 they may be borderline stiff but maybe ok at 48. I know they work for me at 48# everyone is different and release and bow style can be a factor the Griffin is a pretty efficient bow pound for pound.
Big Thompson Bowhunters
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline crandog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 10:09:00 PM »
Give them a try.  So far I like mine.  I got the 400's.  I used to shoot 2117's out of my 59# curve and they have a 400 deflection.  However when I got mine I loaded 100 grains to the insert and they bareshafted great.  Would have been too light for my liking anyway.  They're around 525 grains now.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 10:31:00 PM »
Tater, they are 50-54lbs @ 28" and I draw 26". So you are correct. I want to cut them at 29" also as I usually do.  We will see. My Morrison and Schafer throws them pretty hard so maybe they will bend them right.
www.zipperbows.com

Offline Danny J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 11:33:00 PM »
KentuckyTJ,
Your set ups and draw are pretty much same as mine. I use 500's for my recurves and 1916's or 2013's for my longbows cut at 28.5 to 29". I am using 125-145 grain with standard inserts. I cant get 400's to work good in any of my bows even with 200gr field points. The 400 carbons are left over from my compound days.
IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 12:32:00 AM »
Kentucky,
If they don't work for you I'll give 'em a shot!

:thumbsup:
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 11:42:00 AM »
Thanks guys, I sent 3 rivers an email asking them to switch to the 500's if they haven't left the building yet. They just replied saying they were able to make the switch.

Thanks for the offer NCH.

T.J.
www.zipperbows.com

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 12:03:00 PM »
T.J.....You should be okay with the 500 if you use over 200 gr. up front and let them at least 29".   Carbons are spined a 28" so even the .500 is spined over 60 pounds.  Carbon manufacturers have a ways to go with spine tolerance, and I'm sure we will see big improvements over the next couple years as they recognize the need for traditional bow shooters.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 12:55:00 PM »
Thanks George, I hope they fly well. If so I'll order more. I hope you are right about the manufacturers. I do my part in trying to grow traditional archery every chance I get.

Thanks T.J.
www.zipperbows.com

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 10:44:00 PM »
Update: I've shot Gold tips for years. These are the first arrows I've ever shot that were built for us trad guys (and gals) in mind. I thought my Gold tips were flying good until I shot these. Wow, bullet straight with no waver and they hit harder.

The nocks are very nice and tight inside the shafts and no need to epoxy in the inserts. I just used hot melt glue and they are rock solid.

My bows are 50-54 lbs @28" and I draw 26". These are the Traditional Only 500's from   http://www.3riversarchery.com/   I put 100 grain brass inserts in them as well and they shot 125-145 points equally as well.

www.zipperbows.com

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2009, 11:07:00 PM »
I like that they say made in USA right there in plain sight. What lenght did you end up with with your set up?
Mike
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©