3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: do I need arrow spinners?  (Read 527 times)

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
do I need arrow spinners?
« on: March 25, 2009, 12:28:00 AM »
I had my shafts cut on a professional saw, the brass inserts have a machined stop and my magnus broadheads were already glued on the adapter from the factory. If I epoxy the insert and push it down till it stops like I see all the guys in the archery shops do it has to be lined up good enough don't it.  If that is what it takes I will do it but if you guys don't think it is necessary for good broadhead accuracy I won't.  I did a search and did not come up with much on  arrow spinners.  Any info appreciated THANKS.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: do I need arrow spinners?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 01:41:00 AM »
Even with all that precision machined stuff, I would have one. Hap

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 03:36:00 AM »
I have two sets that I rarely use.  Most of the time I just spin the shaft on the broadhead, if it wobbles I reheat the head and turn it a little and respin until all wobble disappears. I use glue on WW with steel adapters and hot melt.  As long as the point on your broadhead is straight it should spin true.  Sometimes you have to mix and match different shafts with different heads to get a perfect spin.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline Precurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 08:01:00 AM »
I'm with Fritz on this; no matter how carefully I center my broadheads on a centering device I almost always need to spin them for perfect flight.  My observation then would be: why do I need the centering tool?

Dave

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 08:47:00 AM »
It need not be expensive.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 09:52:00 AM »
You can spin them by hand on your hand.  Place the broadhead point on your left palm..on a piece of smooth leather or even plastic, and hold the shaft on your finger/thumbnails of your middle finger and thumb.  Then just blow on the feathers to spin the arrow.  Works as slick as can be and you can see any wobble of the arrow.

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 09:54:00 AM »
thats how I do it.

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 10:26:00 AM »
Ya mean you're supposed to put something in your hand?!  Dang now I know why I have all them cuts!
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 10:59:00 AM »
I just figured you used spinners to make sure you got the broadhead on the adapter straight.  So you guys think I can make ajustments with the inserts? I know this probably sounds silly but I just never had to worry about this before.  I shoot the evil ones on my compound and no arrow spinners could be the reason.  THANKS  for the info so far.

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »
The nice thing about a rig like Killdeer's (mine is similar, but with rollers) is that you can eyball the very tip of the point as it spins to know which direction to apply pressure.

If they spin great on the point, no need. If they wobble, do what I said above. Then apply slight heat, then apply slight pressure accordingly. Spin on the point again. If its good dunk it in icewater and move on. (If using wood make sure not to dunk past the ferrul)
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 03:43:00 PM »
Make one. Simple enough to get the job done. Cross four nails in an old 2x4. Make the nails form an x. Draw a mark on the board parrallel with you arrow and align your tip with it while spinning. You will be able to see ANY wobble.

I find that arrows that spin true, usually fly true. Not all reasons for wobble are on the insert-arrow and broadhead-insert area either. Spinning them will help you find a slightly bent BH too...
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline ALW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 04:00:00 PM »
Yes!  I've had guys cut them at the bow shop with a cut off saw that were way worse than when I use a tubing cutter (aluminium).

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 05:28:00 PM »
Mo. check your broad heads to make sure they have sufficient glue between the head and adapter.I have had some magnus with hardly any glue from the factory.
Bill

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »
THEY ALWAYS NEED TO BE SPUN!!!  Make yourself a no cost spinner.  Take shoe box and throw away the top.  Cut two v's in the short ends of the box that the arrow will ride in.  If the box is 15X8, by short end I mean the 8 inch sides.  The arrow will be parallel to the 15 inch long sides.  Place the box on a table and put a BH arrow in the V's, then draw a dot on a piece of paper so that the bottom of the paper rests on the table and the BH points at the dot.  Rotate the arrow.  A BH that is off center will rotate around the dot.  A BH that is true will spin pointing at the dot.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 09:22:00 PM »
Always spin them but just put them point down on a good hard surface and spin. You will see any wobble. I always epoxy my own adapters in the broadheads, this way I have a bit of time to make sure they spin true before the glue sets. Never needed anything to check if they spin true but that simple method. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 10:39:00 AM »
I did the 4 nails in a 2x4 thing, a big thanks to everyone for helping me once again. I just had to ask because at the archery shops here they just glue em and push them down till they stop and your done. I am sure it is because of time they don't want to spin all those arrows.  I also wonder if it is because some of us use big wide cutting diameter broadheads that plane more or just because some trad shooters glue there broadheads to the adapters instead of being machined. Also I wonder if it could be because of the popularity of the carbon arrow and its straight or broke theory and you don't have to worry about warped wood or bent aluminum any more.  Any thoughts

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »
I always spin mine on an old plate. Just put something small under the far side to angle the plate a little towards yourself, Put the shaft on the top side and as it rolls towards you you can see if the head wobbles at all. simple and can be done anywhere there's a plate.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009, 10:44:00 AM »
you can take a scrap 2x4 and put two sets of nails in it. on set on either side of the board.
nail them in where they are touching at a 45degree angle so you make an X to cradle the arrow , now do the other side the same way.
lay your arrow in the X and give it a spin!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©