3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadheads, Feathers, and More  (Read 338 times)

Offline Zach Mikita

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadheads, Feathers, and More
« on: March 25, 2009, 09:57:00 AM »
1. I'm wondering is there a difference in feather shape?  Are shield arrows better than traditional...ext.  I know that the trad cut is a little noisey.

2. I know it may make a very minute difference, but what does 3 5" feathers weigh?

3. What do you use for arrow wraps?  what color do you chose to use? (wraps and feathers)  

4. What works best for string silencers?

5. What is your favorite broadhead?  Do you have specific BH for a specific species?

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadheads, Feathers, and More
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 10:16:00 AM »
Feather shapes,I feel that having your arrow tuned to your bow is more important then the feather shape.I have used 5.5 shields for my wood arrows for they looked more traditional for wood arrows.But now have gone done to 4" and 5" feathers for my carbon arrows and have gotten to like the parabolic proflie.They are quieter and I feel more arrow dynamic.I use arrow wraps on all my carbons,easier to redo later without having to scrape the carbon shaft with a knife blade.Carbons are tough arrows but you can gouge them if you are not careful,thats why I like wraps.Chartruese wraps and feathers make a great look,easy to see the arrow with most backgrounds and lower light.String silencers,I make my own from wool yarn,you can get quite a few and out a couple of rolls of the wool yarn.Broadheads I like a Magnus two blade or a STOS.As long as they are sharp and you hit the vitals any good broadhead will work fine.

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 10:22:00 AM »
1. Personal Preferance.  Thats the main difference I see.  I shoot 4-fletch 5.5" low Banna Cut.  'Cause I like it.

2. a bit less than 4 of 'em.  This is traditional, man, shoot what works best for you!

3. Have seen a varitey of colors.  I just color mine and my Bride's arrows they color "SHE LIKES".

4. Jerry Simmions Inteceptors, (hard to find, still looking for more), Black Diamond Eskimo, Wensel Woodsman (when I want a 3 blade...Thats all my Bride uses)  Use 'em all for everything.  Do like the WW's for BIG HOGS, but not worried about any of 'em.

Know this didn't help much...but what the heck, it good to be in the woods with a real bow in your hand!

Johnny/JAG
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 02:32:00 PM »
How's this?

REALLY easy to find!!!   :bigsmyl:    :coffee:
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 08:25:00 PM »
I like shields, 5" three fletch with two solid hens and the other barred and 9" Onestringer wraps in flo yellow or flo orange with matching fletches.  With this configuration I shoot my 3 blades (Snuffer, Woodsman, and Razorcaps).

I also like 4" 4 fletch shields with the same wraps and same colors only all fletches are solids.  I like to shoot 2/4 blades with this configuration (Silver Flame XL's o DS's, Pearson Deadheads (large), Magnus 1 2-blades, and Zwickey Delta 4-blades).

Truthfully, most of my bows I'm shooting the 4-fletch 2/4 blade configuration as I like to pull my arrow out of the dirt after shooting a critter.
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 08:35:00 PM »
I like white wraps and use 5" parabolic right wing feathers.

As for silencers, I use the ones Terry Green's daughters sell: Hush Puppies. They're made of wool. Terry's a moderator here.

I like 2-bladed, vented b-heads. Good penetration on a variety of game animals.

Doug
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Zach Mikita

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 09:24:00 PM »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©