3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Amazed at some results of stumping with carbons.  (Read 357 times)

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Amazed at some results of stumping with carbons.
« on: March 25, 2009, 01:54:00 PM »
I was out stumping this morning. Forgot my camera so missed getting pics of all the Turkeys I saw.    :banghead:   Any way, I was trying out some easton Axis and some Carbon Express Terminators. I was shooting a 30" arrow. The CE's were footed with 2" of 2117 aluminum shaft , The Axis were footed with 2" of 2018. I started with 200gr up front and then Jumped to 300gr.  I'm shooting a 55#@28  70" Yew Mahantango.  I shot a dead but not rotten poplar the size of my leg, and I blasted through it with the 300gr. Total arrow weight is about 617gr. The 200gr slammed the tree pretty deep, but did not punch out a hole the way the 300 did.

I was also surprised at how the arrow flight was very nice with either weight up front. I can't believe how well these arrows handle up front weight. Not sure which arrow to settle on yet. I'm liking the AD's too.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Amazed at some results of stumping with carbons.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 02:45:00 PM »
Jerry, I hope Larry reads this because he thinks I'm crazy for shooting 350 up front! Read my "350 up front?" post.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 02:47:00 PM »
yip i shoot 350 gr up front
the carbons love it!
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »
What arrow length and draw weight you guys using?
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 03:24:00 PM »
Jerry,48# 27" goldtip 35/55

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 03:58:00 PM »
Yes Jerry, Carbons can handle alot of weight up front. BUCKY came over a while back and  350 grains up front   was  no problem. The arrows flew very well.

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 05:41:00 PM »
High FOC's, as high as one can get are the way to go! Part of what's happening is high FOC's makes the arrow very forgiving to both form and tuning errors. Just because they seem to be flying well with 100 grains point difference doesn't mean they are. We still need to use a tuning method to remove all the fixable tuning errors no matter how "good" they look....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 05:54:00 PM »
Can someone explain how to foot arrows?  Friction fit, glue? Can you post pics?  Mostly speaking of aluminum over carbon here, not wood arrows.  Thanks.
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 06:23:00 PM »
over the past 13 yrs ive been primarily a self bow shooter. and have been shooting cedar arrows exclusively. i love the way they fly. 3 yrs ago i got my first glass bow a bear k-mag. well a week ago i met batman, a fellow tg member. he had given me some leftover carbon arrows to shoot.they are carbon express cx 100 with a 200 grain feild pointon the front and they are 32" long. man do they fly great . i was really impressed. the bow is 48#@28" draw.i really love shooting self bows . but man is it goona be hard to not shoot the bear with som carbons
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 07:17:00 PM »
Perhaps the tree was not of consistent pith?  Someone has to be the counterpoint 8^).  You see, if the lighter one had went through first, and the heavier one not quite...then you have a counter AHA moment.  

Okay.  Continue.

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 10:35:00 PM »
Here is a new type of collar for the AD Wood Grain Trad shafts.  This, with a Brass Insert makes for a very tough arrow.  I will be starting a new thread with all the info.  

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 06:45:00 AM »
Jerry, those terminators are hands down the toughest arrows i`ve ever shot .We shot a bunch of arrows in to a block wall trying to hit a small target at a archery shop screwing off one day, terminators were the last one standing out of grizs an gold tips it wasn`t even close.direct impact 20yds block wall mid 60#bows  weighted up front to..I have not shot the ads an the axis but i have 1 dozen on the way. I like dia of the axis an have been shooting the MFXs (they blow through eveything)..keep us posted on the torcher test

RedBoar check out the perfect arrow thread that was posted a couple weeks ago with internal footing for carbons-i believe this to be the best way if you have the time to put in to it
Bull

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 08:11:00 AM »
Did the two arrows have different spines that allowed you to shoot such different weights up front?  I have been bare shaft tuning some carbons, and they like 175, but I would like to shoot heavier tips.  However I would think switching to a 100 grain heavier head would through the arrow off?  Just another one of the newbie questions.   :confused:
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 08:32:00 AM »
Maineac, Both same spine and length. Did not bare shaft these with  300 gr. Just decided to try it out. I'm fletching with a 2.5" parabolic that I cut myself.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 02:49:00 PM »
Thanks.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »
I have been thinking about extremely extreme FOCs and tuning.

I thinking maybe it helps 2 ways.

The first is the obvious flight effect.
Having a high FOC makes the shaft itself work like fletching with respect to the tip giving you a stable flight.

But maybe theres a second factor at work.
Maybe the exteme FOC is allowing the shaft to whip around as it hits the bow but the weight up front keeps it orriented. Im just wondering.
Maybe there going to end up being a whole different dynamic that can be tuned towards.
Wherever you went - here you are.

Offline nontypical

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 09:10:00 PM »
Badger,what I do is epoxy a CX Bull Dog Nock Collar on the front,then slip the brass insert in.Works the same way.Creates a strong front.
BLACK WIDOWS
MORRISON ILF
TITAN/CENTAUR
BLACK MAGIC/CENTUAR
BOB LEES
BIG CHEVYS

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©