3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: evo's adventure has come full circle  (Read 17896 times)

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: evo's adventure has come full circle
« Reply #340 on: July 21, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »
thanks fnshtr
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #341 on: July 23, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »
/\\/\\
- -
 o
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Online fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #342 on: July 24, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »
My wife just called from her cell phone... picked up "eva" at the post office. That kind of threw me off for a second...

EVO and I will try to slip up on a "garden grizzly" tomorrow. pics coming no matter the outcome.

Kind of feels like Christmas in July!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Online fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #343 on: July 24, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »
I shot a couple of dozen arrows through EVO this evening. I normally shoot a recurve and found that I needed to cant the longbow a bit more than I do my recurve (sight picture?).

I was surprised at how fast Evo shoots a "Trad - Only 400 with a 125 grain field point"!

My best group at 15 yards is pictured below.

As I was finishing up, I shot one group from 40+ yards... just to watch the arrow flight. Here is the result... two good arrows (for me anyway) and one flyer. I was actually aiming for the upper left bullseye.

IMG]http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq19/fnshtr/40ydflyer.jpg[/IMG]

I'll shoot the broadheads tomorrow morning and see if I can get within 15 yards of a groundhog tomorrow afternoon.
WVBA Member

Online fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #344 on: July 24, 2009, 10:21:00 PM »
Oops!

Here's another try on the second pic.

I'm like Katie... got dial up and it doesn't work real well uploading pics. S - L - O - W
WVBA Member

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #345 on: July 25, 2009, 12:09:00 AM »
nice shootin bro....evo must like ya   :thumbsup:

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #346 on: July 26, 2009, 12:11:00 AM »
this thing needs a stickie

Online fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #347 on: July 26, 2009, 01:37:00 PM »
Just a quick update. Broadheads shoot great... but I got rained out yesterday. I'm recovering from bronchitis and decided not to venture out. I did take a short drive and have a few "garden grizzlies" located. I have a plan.

Later
WVBA Member

Online fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #348 on: July 27, 2009, 10:34:00 PM »
EVO and I went stumpin' and grizzly huntin' this evening. We had a great time. Shot a lot and am getting real comfortable with EVO. Made some good shots... missed some easy ones (always that way for me it seems).

As we headed up the hill toward the ridge I noticed a redtailed hawk sailing on a path that would bring it directly overhead. In the warm blue early evening sky the chipmunk hanging from his talons was easy to spot at 20 yards straight overhead. If I could only be so lucky this evening.

A few steps further and spots erupted from a nearby stand of low thick shumac... a fawn headed straight down the bank to my right... blowing a high pitched alarm. Two seconds later a second fawn busted from a thick stand of horse weeds on my left... straight UP the bank to my left. Somewhere nearby (probably downwind) was Momma. It is hard to get "into the zone" after a rough day on the job. I reminded myself that I needed to take a deep breath and slow down. I'll not meet up with a wily eastern groundhog at this pace.

I shot at a bare spot 30 yards or so ahead and on the left side of the trail, then an anthill on the opposite side of the trail a few yards closer. I'm not  sure how many arrows I stuffed into the back quiver before leaving the house. I purposely didn't count them... that way I won't remember how many I lost during my hike.

I find pleasure in the simplest of things in "nature"... Like the intricate design of lichen on a large sandstone atop the ridge...

or the translucent flowers with heads bowed for the evening on the damp forest floor. They were white, but you could see through them.

Before long I spotted a doe and fawn about 50 yards ahead of me as they entered the overgrown pasture field on top the ridge from the greenbrier thicket to my left (and quartering upwind of me). This was a chance to do a practice stalk. I actually got within 25 yards or so when I noticed a second fawn in the tall weeds to her left.

I followed them carefully down the ridge. I knew where they were headed... down off the ridge to the lush hayfield of timothy and clover in the bottom.

After snapping a few pictures from 25 yards, I noticed a deer to my left. At first I passed it off as the second fawn.. then realized that it didn't have spots. Closer examination (with my naked eye as I did not carry field glasses with me) revealed a decent rack for this area. Probably 14... maybe 16 inches wide. Unfortunately his antlers were not clear in the picture... that was the picture I took just before the doe blew and they all "disappeared" from view in a flash of white tails.

The stalk on the doe and fawn reminded me that I have put a lot of hunting under my belt in the past 40 some years. I can't "crouch" like I used to... it hurts too much. I was reminded of the time that my late brother (gone some 16 years now) and I had "duck walked" for 45 minutes up Lion's Head mountain in the gravelly range of Montana... trying to keep up with a magnificent  6X bull elk that only stopped every so often to bugle a challenge to any nearby rivals. The chase ended in my first close encounter with a bull (just out of position for my anticipated shot) and a missed shot by my brother just down the bank from me.

That reminded me that it's not just the kill... that makes memories. My brother died in an airplane crash at the young age (by my standards now anyway) of 45. We had hunted Black Bear in Ontario, elk in Colorado and Montana and whitetails in West Virginia and a few other eastern states. I sure do miss him. And every short hike afield... like this one, reminds me of him.

Next I noticed a gray squirrel on a limb about 10 feet from the ground, curled up in a ball that reminded me of a bullseye.

Where was he last fall or early winter when this would have been a shot I couldn't pass up? 10 yards away. To bad season is not in.

We finally slipped down to the bottom, next to the old barn where I spotted three "whistle pigs" the other day.

It was too late for them by now... Groundhogs must go to den early as I seldom see one after the sun reaches the top of the hill to the west. Another small herd of deer fed along 100 yards to the east, one sported a decent 14 - 16 inch wide rack. Two decent bucks today... the future looks OK.

EVO and I are real happy about our hike this evening. We enjoyed seeing the 32 deer, the squirrel, the hawk with the chipmunk... and all the other sights, as well as the sounds and smells that make the outdoor adventure what it is. And the memories... ESPECIALLY the memories. Sometimes you make memories... and sometimes you just enjoy them, we did a little of both this evening.

EVO feels like an old friend. We still have time to get some action in the upcoming week or so.

I'll send in another update ASAP.

Thanks again Larry for helping the kids and giving us older ones some memories...  :archer:
WVBA Member

Online fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #349 on: July 27, 2009, 10:42:00 PM »
WVBA Member

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #350 on: July 28, 2009, 06:09:00 PM »
cool...i've been gone so have not been ignoring the post....larry

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #351 on: July 29, 2009, 03:49:00 PM »
ttt

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #352 on: July 30, 2009, 10:42:00 PM »
ttt

Online fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #353 on: July 30, 2009, 11:05:00 PM »
Added some pics to the stumpin' story.

Hope to get out after the groundhogs tomorrow and Saturday. Should have an update by Sunday evening (w/pics).
WVBA Member

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #354 on: July 31, 2009, 10:40:00 AM »
great stuff!
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #355 on: July 31, 2009, 11:21:00 AM »
nice

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #356 on: August 01, 2009, 10:24:00 AM »
Nice to see EVO out in the wild. Cool pics. Hope you get a chuck pic with her!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Online fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #357 on: August 01, 2009, 06:23:00 PM »
Thanks!

It's tough to get close enough for a shot with trad... but it is sure fun trying!
WVBA Member

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #358 on: August 02, 2009, 11:11:00 PM »
/\\/\\
- -
()

Online fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #359 on: August 03, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »
A great groundhog hunt: pics and story coming up...

I didn't get out Saturday and there is no Sunday hunting here (I wouldn't go anyway as I am a Pastor and am extremely busy on Sundays).

My wife forgot to set the alarm this morning and I overslept. It was a good excuse to take the day off as vacation time... I wanted to take EVO out again anyway, and this was a beautiful day!

THE PLAN:
Slip up the creek and glass the fields on both sides. There are plenty of willows for cover and the rippling water should help cover my noise.

Here is where I started...

The creek follows the southern edge of the field for a couple of hundred yards, then winds out through the hayfield... I'll be traveling upstream until the stream leaves the edge of the brush. At that point I plan to cross the fence that separates the hayfield from the brush and move S-l-o-w-l-y along the fence glassing the field edge ahead of me.

It was thicker brush than I had thought. I'll probably end up with ticks and chiggers...

Here's a pic of EVO hanging on a willow as we start upstream.

What's the chances... I have never killed a groundhog with a bow. I've taken many with a rifle from 100 to 200 yards... but to get within range with EVO??? I don't gamble, but if I had to place a bet, I figure the odds are really stacked against me. What would the odds be? 20 to 1? 50 to 1? I figure they are closer to 100 to 1! In 40 some odd years of hunting I've only happened upon a groundhog in bow range... maybe three times. Maybe 500 to 1 is more like it!!

to be continued shortly
WVBA Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©