3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: evo's adventure has come full circle  (Read 17894 times)

Online fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: evo's adventure has come full circle
« Reply #360 on: August 03, 2009, 07:10:00 PM »
I didn't expect the stream to have this much water in it. I should have worn my gortex boots... oh well, it's 80 degrees out and I'm in a long sleeved camo shirt... the water actually felt good!

Glassing, wading, glassing, wading... nothing so far. I finally had "still hunted" to the point that the stream left the brush and started out into the hayfield. It was too open so I needed to leave the stream and cross the fence into the brush.

Here is where the stream began leaving the brush.

Before crossing the fence... I spied something very small but very white about 25 yards ahead... against the bank. I had taken a few warm up shots before leaving the house, but figured this was a good chance to test my skill (or luck) with a shot.

BULLSEYE! Wow... that was a great shot. Maybe the odds are a bit lower after all! I gotta see one first though.

(I'm waiting on pics to upload to photobucket.)
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Online fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #361 on: August 03, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »
On the other side of the fence, the weeds were THICK! It was difficult to make my way through them while remaining quiet. Just a few steps into the weeds and something ran uphill from me... I think it was a groundhog as I have jumped many rabbits and never had one to run in such a straight line. I didn't follow up as I figured it was too late.

Here is where I spooked something up the bank.

After fighting through the brush for 50 yards or so, I was forced to work back toward the fence as the "jungle" just kept getting thicker. Once I got back closer to the fence I found a nice shady spot with a big rock to sit on. This was just above an old collapsed barn where I had seen a groundhog run into one afternoon last week.

Here is a shot looking out from my shady ambush site.

I sat there for about 1/2 hour glassing the clover field (the landowner had reseeded it this spring and the clover was thick).

I decided to work my way back up into the "neck" of the field (it narrowed down into the hollow to the south).

As I crept along... all at once I saw a "gray shadow" dart from the fence through the thick weeds and disappear about four feet in front of me. Closer examination revealed this den with two entrances.

Many years ago my grandfather told me that a gray squirrel will come back out of a hole in a tree if you give it about 15 minutes. I wondered how long it might take this groundhog to re-emerge from this den. I decided to wait.

Here is my view as I waited to see if the groundhog would come back out.

The weeds were very thick, but I knew exactly where to watch. I stood in the hot sun for about 20 minutes, waiting and waiting. The odds of actually getting a shot seem to be getting better... they may be as low as 20 to one (I thought).

While waiting for the "chuck" to reappear, I snapped this picture of a butterfly on a thistle bloom. I decided to include it here because it came out so good.

The finale is coming up next!
WVBA Member

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #362 on: August 03, 2009, 09:24:00 PM »
very cool!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Forrest Creature 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #363 on: August 03, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »
Elkherder contact me i would like to donate some money for St Jude and need your info [email protected] or 740 546 3761 thanks

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #364 on: August 03, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »
nice story and pics bro....i smell groundhog....forrest i will pm you
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Forrest Creature 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #365 on: August 03, 2009, 09:59:00 PM »
PM sent elk thanks

Online fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #366 on: August 03, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
After 20 minutes or so in the hot sun... I decided to back up a few yards to get in the shade of a tree. Another 10 minutes passed before I noticed a bit of movement through the weeds... right where the groundhog had disappeared earlier.

I was able to distinguish an eyeball... then a dark nose. The weeds moved slightly and my odds started getting better and better. He would disappear and reappear a minute or so later. My left shoulder was aching from holding the bow in the ready to shoot position.

Eventually he came completely out of the den and stood up... when he stood, another groundhog... about the same size stood up from the other den hole! I now had two groundhogs standing about 8 yards in front of me and swiveling their heads... looking in all directions.

I had no face mask on... no hat... and my wire-rimmed glasses. My first thought was to wait until they dropped to all fours, but after several seconds I decided to draw. As I slowly came to full draw and felt my thumb knuckle "lock" behind my jawbone, I was surprised to see both groundhogs still standing there in front of me.

I picked a spot on the groundhog on the right and let the string slip away from my fingers.

WHUMP! The arrow hit right where I was looking. It went through the little grizzly and stuck into the dirt on the far side of him. They both disappeared in a flash.

I heard a squeal and then "growling". As I approached the den with no arrow knocked, I realized that the healthy groundhog was on top of the arrowed one... growling and biting at him. The one I shot could not enter the den as the arrow was preventing him.

All at once the other groundhog turned and ran straight at me! Charged by a grizzly!!!!

He was obviously confused and didn't even know where I was... I jumped in the air (reflex) and he ran by within a couple of feet.

The groundhog is a small one. I had no idea until after recovery.

Here's EVO's little trophy.

The WW did quite the job on the little bugger.

POC arrow by Dink and a 125 grain WW head.

I couldn't believe it. What were the chances? What were the odds? I had never attempted such a hunt before last week (when I didn't even see a chuck)... and here I am with a bow that doesn't belong to me, and a groundhog that I didn't think I could take.

I just wish I had drawn EVO during deer season!

She is a sweet shooting bow. I have thoroughly enjoyed her... as I hope the rest of you do that are yet to get her.

Only thing left for me with EVO? I may try calling a coyote in tomorrow evening before I pack her up for sending to the next lucky person.

What's the chances of getting a coyote? What are the odds of even calling in a coyote (which I've never done before)? Couldn't be a whole lot worse than the odds I had today!

Yep... I think I will give it a try!
WVBA Member

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #367 on: August 03, 2009, 10:44:00 PM »
:clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #368 on: August 04, 2009, 03:23:00 AM »
now thats what i'm talkin about........great job.  :clapper:    :jumper:
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Online fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #369 on: August 04, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
EVO will be shipped in the morning to mibowhunter.

Enjoy it Mike... and let us know how it goes!

Thanks again Larry... and to tradgang.com for all the things you have made possible for EVERYONE!
WVBA Member

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #370 on: August 05, 2009, 12:07:00 AM »
thanks man...that was cool

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #371 on: August 05, 2009, 06:56:00 AM »
:thumbsup:
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #372 on: August 05, 2009, 10:23:00 PM »
ttt

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #373 on: August 06, 2009, 09:21:00 PM »
evo is headed to mi bowhunter...she'll be making two stops in michigan back to back...should be cool  :campfire:

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #374 on: August 07, 2009, 04:46:00 PM »
Coming back to Michigan soon! How many miles has she traveled so far?
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #375 on: August 08, 2009, 08:18:00 AM »
Hey Wayne!  Thanks for sharing...great story, shot, and pictures!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Online fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #376 on: August 08, 2009, 11:02:00 AM »
My pleasure rastaman!

In case any of the remaining folks would like to know... I shot EVO "three under" and it shot great. I didn't make any adjustments to the set up.

I normally shoot a recurve... but after my experience with EVO I may have to add a longbow to my "collection".

Wayne
WVBA Member

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #377 on: August 08, 2009, 01:37:00 PM »
i'm not even gonna try and figure out how far shes traveled ....been across the usa a couple times i figure.

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #378 on: August 09, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »
I got her.   She arrived yesterday.  It was a nice surprise I had lost track of time and didn't realize my time was up.  

Really nice looking bow.   I can't wait to get out and shoot her.
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #379 on: August 09, 2009, 03:05:00 PM »
sweet...we need pics and stories man.   :D    :pray:    :D

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©