3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bringing Rod Jenkins out WEST?!!!!  (Read 4396 times)

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bringing Rod Jenkins out WEST?!!!!
« on: March 26, 2009, 07:43:00 PM »
Ok guys and gals, I am trying to get some input on who would like to talk about attending a west coast Rod Jenkins shooting class in Oregon. This is just a start. No dates have been set yet. Just trying to hear of any interest. I know there are already some guys that have told me they will attend. Rod has expressed his interest in coming out here and seeing the country and graciously sharing his valuable knowledge with those who are eager to learn. So if you would like to pursue this great opportunity to spend two days with a good man and learn how to improve your shooting let me know. I will keep you up to date on what is transpiring and we can talk dates, etc. as time goes by.
If there was a great traditional archery 3D shoot that you could attend along with this, would you be interested? Just thinking outloud.
Any input or questions? Let's talk about it. I think it would be great fun to spend some time with you folks and benefit from Rod's instruction.   Thanks! David
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bringing Rod Jenkins out WEST?!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 07:52:00 PM »
who's rod jenkins? if he can shoot and teach me some things then heck ya ''i'm in
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 07:54:00 PM »
Me too...
Lon Scott

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 07:59:00 PM »
Good to hear from you guys! Oh, Rod is just some guy I ran into that shoots a bow and arrow...    ;)  

If you've seen "Masters of the Barebow vol.3" then just think of having this going on for 2 days!!!...minus some of the bloopers!

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »
Can't have him. He's ours.

Killdeer   :archer:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »
If you really don't know who Rod Jenkins is then you will probably want to go on to the next post!  :bigsmyl:

Offline BMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »
I think New Mexico is warmer and a more centralized location, imho

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 10:04:00 PM »
Now Killie, I know you learned how to share...  ;)  

Hey BabaLoo, come on up to the "middle coast" land and we'll show you a good time...and you'll learn how to shoot better than you thought you could!

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 10:05:00 PM »
This is one of things that you can put off and see what developes or you can jump in and make it work for all of us. Come on in the water's fine!

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 10:15:00 PM »
without sounding like a total fool i really dont know who he is,never heard of him but thats no reason to tell me to move on there bjorn.maybe i'm willing to learn.maybe you need to realize we cant all be a genious like you apparently are.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 10:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by snag:

If you've seen "Masters of the Barebow vol.3" then just think of having this going on for 2 days!!!...minus some of the bloopers!
Ohh in 2 days, I'll have bloopers   :biglaugh:
2004 IBO World Champion

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »
No problem Elkherder. Rod was the IBO Traditional Hunter Class World Champion. He helped put together the Masters of the Barebow video series. He is one of the finest teachers of archery and one good man. He is gracious enough to offer his knowledge and time in teaching others what he knows works! It is a great opportunity that I look forward to taking him up on! Hope you will join us.

We can't let those east coast archers have all the fun!!!

Offline Oregon Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »
easy now... i think we are all having fun here.
I'm in if I can swing it when the time comes.
"Don't believe everything you think" - bumper sticker

"Savage Blaster" - 50@31 - 63" (recurve I made with Steve Savage)
Firefly TD longbow - 50@31 - 63"
7 Lakes double shelf from a blank - 45@31 - 66"
Trident ILF w Blackmax carbons - 42@31

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 10:39:00 PM »
i'm all good..... i was an ibo world championship qualifier back when i shot wheelies but was not inclined to travel to ny to shoot my bow.go figure eh.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 10:43:00 PM »
like i said i'm in for the win just let me know when and where.

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 10:46:00 PM »
Rod, we'll count on at least a few bloopers! haha

Sounds good guys! Next week I'm going to start working on a place and then let everyone chime in on some dates. Oh boy!

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
I think central California would be the best place for him  :bigsmyl:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline runamuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 10:56:00 PM »
I would be in for sure,, It would be crazy of me not to..
just curious of the dates,,location,, and price..

Offline nurayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2009, 11:04:00 PM »
I would be interested if it took place in eastern OR for sure

Offline Mike Orton

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2009, 11:35:00 PM »
Well Rod, I hope you've got the Gumbie qualitites cause it sounds like there are a few folks willing to pull on you in all directions.

One scenario that's been bantered around a bit has been to have Rod share his expertise during the three days immediately prior to the next West Coast Trad Gang Hog hunt at the Tejon ranch.  The Tejon shoots are usually a Friday afternoon, Saturday and half day Sunday, for a total of 4, half day hunts.

One criticism of the past Tejon hunt was the lack of face time the Trad Gangers got with each other, as the hunting was conducted fairly alone or in small groups.  The terrain at Tejon is so rugged that many of us had a few sore muscles after a day afield.  Getting together with Rod's clinic would give us 2 1/2 or three days for archery instruction and social interaction, tune everyone's skills and equipment for the hunt.  Then, once everyone is all tuned in to their gear and armed with Rod's instruction we can all go out and slaughter the hogs on Tejon.  

For those that don't know about Tejon, it is the largest private land holding in California, 225,000 acres give or take.  Located in the central coast of California, about 3 hours north of metropolitan Los Angeles.  The scenery is outstanding, the way old California was before the white man settled here.  Those that perhaps missed the prior posted thread can refresh on this link:  
  http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=070159;p=1  

The decision of where to place a venue to take full advantage of a resource as highly sought after as a Rod Jenkins will probably be hotly contested up and down the coast.  Many factors need go into the decision, including proximity to transportation, airports, venue resources, target facilities, etc.  It would be my contention that we "left coasters" attempt to parlay the clinic into another complimentary  activity.  Heck if we've got to drive any distance we might as well make the best of the situation effort and tank-up on the archery fun.  Perhaps Ted Frye could do one of his bow building classes, someone with expertise could teach string building, another might offer to teach extreme FoC arrow building.  

Also, we've put together the ugliest perpetual trophy we could think up for the annual Trad Gang Tejon hunt.   This year's perpetual trophy would have gone to our own Delta, (Jim Belleville) but we hadn't thought up the award until after Jim scored. Our trophy is the southern end of a north bound boar hog, with a big-ole sack proudly hangin' down like mud flaps.  The lucky winner of this perpetual trophy will have shot the largest Tejon hog during the tournament and will be required to display this exhibition of swinely glory in their living room for all to admire throughout the remainder of the calendar year.  The names of the individual winners are to be memorialized in brass plaques upon the trophy.

My vote certainly would be to merge Rod's clinic with the Tejon ranch hunt.  I know I have the support of many California Trad Gangersters that I've already spoken with about this concept. The logistical support is critical in pulling off a successful event like this.  I can think of no better way to spend a few days then under the skillful instruction of Rod Jenkins,  Then....we go wack some piggies!

:campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©